News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

What are you guys using for air cleaners, cant shut my hood?

Started by tripleblkr/t, September 08, 2009, 09:39:59 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

tripleblkr/t

I have a 440 in my 69 and have the Holley street denominator intake and a Holley 700 carb and I'll having trouble finding a air clean so I can shut my hood without hitting it. What's a good air cleaner to use? Summit's got a few K@N drop air cleaners just don't know which one to get? Thanks for any help

elacruze

I think Holley used to make one specifically for that manifold called the Street Numerator, specifically designed to function over the denominator to solve your problem.
1968 505" EFI 4-speed
1968 D200 Camper Special, 318/2bbl/4spd/4.10
---
Torque converters are for construction equipment.

68X426

Try the obvious: changing the filter height from the 3 inch to the 2 inch should give you clearance. If you already have the 2 inch then you have to try the drop style.

Try the KN type top filter also with the 2 (or 3) inch.

It sure lets a ton of air move. My Hemi loves it. It told me so.  :yesnod:

The 12 Scariest Words in the English Language:
We are Here from The Government and
We Want to Help You.

1968 Plymouth Road Runner, Hemi and much more
2013 Dodge Challenger RT, Hemi, Plum Crazy
2014 Ram 4x4 Hemi, Deep Cherry Pearl
1968 Dodge Charger, 318, not much else
1958 Dodge Pick Up, 383, loud
1966 Dodge Van, /6, slow

firefighter3931

A K&N 14x3 with a 1.25in drop base will clear the hood fine. I like the flo-thru top with the dropped base because it lets air in from the sides and top simultaneously. That is a benefit with a 4150/4160 style carb that still has the choke horn in place.  :yesnod:

Ron
68 Charger R/T "Black Pig" Street/Strip bruiser, 70 Charger R/T 440-6bbl Cruiser. Firecore ignition  authorized dealer ; contact me with your needs

c00nhunterjoe

John_Kunkel

Pardon me but my karma just ran over your dogma.

tripleblkr/t

Thanks for your help guys ordered my one up and should be here in a couple of days. I've been driving around for two weeks with no hood and I cant wait to put it back on.