News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

California considering electronic license plates, that "advertise"....

Started by Dans 68, June 21, 2010, 09:53:56 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Dans 68

1973 SE 400 727  1 of 19,645                                        1968 383 4bbl 4spds  2 of 259

bakerhillpins

What a stupendously idiotic idea. And here ya go:

QuoteSupporters say license-plate advertising could generate much-needed revenue in a state facing a $19 billion deficit.

Source: California License Plates May Go Digital | NBC San Diego

Another brilliant idea brought to you buy folks who can't balance a budget or figure out that spending more than you have coming in isn't sustainable.

Morons.

Ok, I have to admit that I am half wishing that it passes and gets implemented just so I can see what kind of wrath a bunch of smart a$$ hackers could dish out on those things.  :yesnod: :hah: :hah:
One great wife (Life is good)
14 RAM 1500 5.7 Hemi Crew Cab (crap hauler)
69 Dodge Charger R/T, Q5, C6X, V1X, V88  (Life is WAY better)
96' VFR750 (Sweet)
Capt. Lyme Vol. Fire

"Inspiration is for amateurs - the rest of us just show up and get to work." -Chuck Close
"The difference between stupidity and genius is that genius has its limits." -Albert Einstein
Go that way, really fast. If something gets in your way, turn.
Science flies you to the moon, Religion flies you into buildings.

bull

I have some other ideas for them:

1. Send state workers out to collect pop cans.
2. Sell Arnold's and Maria's old clothes on Ebay.
3. Hold a yard sale on the lawn of the state capital.
4. Sell LA County to the Mexican drug cartel.
5. Stop spending too much money.

elacruze

Quote from: bull on June 22, 2010, 12:05:45 AM
I have some other ideas for them:

1. Send state workers out to collect pop cans.
2. Sell Arnold's and Maria's old clothes on Ebay.
3. Hold a yard sale on the lawn of the state capital.
4. Sell LA County to the Mexican drug cartel.
5. Stop spending too much money.

Drug Cartels already own LA County. I just wish they could take it home with them.
1968 505" EFI 4-speed
1968 D200 Camper Special, 318/2bbl/4spd/4.10
---
Torque converters are for construction equipment.

tricky lugnuts

I can see it now:

Some bikini-clad California babe trying to sell you a non-alcoholic beer (Hey big boy, follow me to Exit 1 for an ice cold Schlitz  :cheers:), or a pack of Dope for Dopes (to also help balance the budget  :cheers:), playing on the super-sized license plate in front of you while you're driving down the Governator's Memorial Highway (Pacific Coast 101).

And we think people are districted driving around texting and talking on cell phones and watching DVDs and looking at GPS coordinates.

Boy all you California dudes got some real smart folks running things out there.  :RantExplode:

Mike DC

I have to admit the idea sounds pretty idiotic.  Even from that crowd.

They can't possibly have done an ounce of thinking about the complications that kind of thing could cause.  You don't want license plates that are built to show different things at different times and electronically controlled. 

It's clearly the idea of some rich disconnected dork who has never personally dealt with electronics or machinery or the lower levels of the judiciary system. 

68X426

It will also serve as a tracking device and a give you a ticket when you're over the speed limit. Cheaper than a microchip/gps tracker 'cause the state will collect the ad revenues. :eek

The 12 Scariest Words in the English Language:
We are Here from The Government and
We Want to Help You.

1968 Plymouth Road Runner, Hemi and much more
2013 Dodge Challenger RT, Hemi, Plum Crazy
2014 Ram 4x4 Hemi, Deep Cherry Pearl
1968 Dodge Charger, 318, not much else
1958 Dodge Pick Up, 383, loud
1966 Dodge Van, /6, slow

WHITE AND RED 69

Just what California needs, more distractions on the road. the state would collect all the money for using your car as a mobile ad but would registration fees go down? I doubt it. with these idiots running the state we will never get our budgets on the right track. I may have to move as well.   :rotz:
1969 Dodge Charger R/T
2016 Jeep Grand Cherokee 75th edition
1999 Jeep Grand Cherokee
1972 Plymouth Duster

RD

follow the money, the legislator who is proposing this is getting the idea from somewhere... find out who that is and I bet its either a advertising company or a big corporation.
67 Plymouth Barracuda, 69 Plymouth Barracuda, 73 Charger SE, 75 D100, 80 Sno-Commander

Mike DC

Quotefollow the money, the legislator who is proposing this is getting the idea from somewhere... find out who that is and I bet its either a advertising company or a big corporation.

Good thinking. 

aussiemuscle

Quote from: 68X426 on June 22, 2010, 12:14:16 PM
It will also serve as a tracking device and a give you a ticket when you're over the speed limit. Cheaper than a microchip/gps tracker 'cause the state will collect the ad revenues. :eek
What happens if it's displaying an advert when you go through a red light? the camera can't image the plate. if they are going 100% electronic registration, why do we even need a plate? (other than to put advertising on).  :shruggy:

Mike DC

I can't imagine this deal actually being implemented. 

I know Cali is pretty hard-up for money right now but this won't even pay for itself with all the bullshit it would cause. 

Ghoste

The plates are only supposed to go into advertising mode when the vehicle is sitting still for a certain period of time.  Once it is in motion it returns to normal mode.  As I understand it's like those tv screens you are seeing pop up everywhere from Times Square to the order kiosk at the local drive thru.
As for it being too expensive and unwieldy to properly implement, that alone is almost enough reason for California to legislate such a thing.  Expensive and unwieldy is exactly one of the big reasons why the Peoples Republic of Kalifornia is in such trouble.
My apologies to Californians because I love a lot of things about your state.  It's beautiful, the weather is awesome and there are some great folks living there.  But... I have never been anywhere that didn't have more laws designed to protect me from myself.

68blue

This is how it works. A company with a product that they can't sell goes to a legislator with a bag of cash. They say pass a law making everybody buy our product and we will give you a suitcase of cash. RD has it exactly right.

jeryst

I think its great. Imagine the possibilities...

Hack into it and...
1. Blank out or change your license number while speeding, going through toll booths, robbing a bank, etc.
2. Accept money for advertising directly from companies, instead of the State getting it.
3. Advertise your own business.
4. Give other drivers obscene gestures.
5. Display sexually explicit photos and cause wrecks.

The list goes on.

68X426

Quote from: Ghoste on June 24, 2010, 08:11:41 AM
 But... I have never been anywhere that didn't have more laws designed to protect me from myself.

:smilielol: :smilielol:

Sorry but have you paid the permit fee in order to post that statement?

And filed your forms with the Department of Thoughts You Shouldn't Think?

They will send you the forms tomorrow. Oh wait, it's Furlough Friday!

Ghoste, you now can no longer enter the Peoples Republic of Kalifornia. :icon_smile_big:

The 12 Scariest Words in the English Language:
We are Here from The Government and
We Want to Help You.

1968 Plymouth Road Runner, Hemi and much more
2013 Dodge Challenger RT, Hemi, Plum Crazy
2014 Ram 4x4 Hemi, Deep Cherry Pearl
1968 Dodge Charger, 318, not much else
1958 Dodge Pick Up, 383, loud
1966 Dodge Van, /6, slow

ChgrSteve67

I don't know why it stops working ever time I back into a light pole.
Some kid must keep breaking my plates.

If someone is putting advertising on my car I'm going to be the one getting paid.
5 cents for every add displayed durring off hours, 7 cents durring rush hours.