News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

trunk extension installation

Started by green69rt, August 20, 2009, 07:50:52 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

green69rt

So I'm starting the fit-up for the trunk extensions and came up with a question.  First a comment.  The ones I bought ( 2 years ago, don't remember who ) look pretty poor.  Lots of extra metal at the edges and not very precise bends.  

Anyway. the first picture shows the seam where the extension meets the quarter at the bottom.  I assume this is just spot welded but how do you end up sealing it against water getting in the seam.  Seam sealer on the outside doesn't seem to be the answer and getting to the inside of the seam seems to be a bear but I'm not sure.

Second picture shows the connection to the wheel well and wheel well opening.  Same question.  I can see that the gap between the wheel well and extension can be sealed from the inside but what about the extension to wheel well opening??

Third picture shows the seam inside the trunk.  No question here, seam seal it.

Finally the fourth picture looks like the worst.  This is the area behind the corner cap.  Lots of things come together here;  rear valance, rear frame cross tie, quarter, trunk extension and corner cap.   I guess I can figure out how to get them connected so they hang together but how does it get sealed especially between the extension and the quarter??

hemi-hampton

The seam in Pic 3 gets seam sealed from inside the Trunk as can be seen in this Pic. The bottom does not get seam sealed. LEON.

lexxman

Hey,there.I noticed in picture two you don't have the tabs bent down on the bottom of the ext panel.Try bending them and then install them it helps.I recently installed a set in my 69 charger,I wasn't sure if they were going to fix.But with a few pairs of clamps and those tabs I got them in.