News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Trunk taillight cover

Started by Silver R/T, August 21, 2009, 02:57:53 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Silver R/T

I see they make repro trunk taillight cover trim for 66-67 Chargers. I know they used to have from factory on some 68-69's. Anyone know where to get one or if they make repro for 68?
http://www.cardomain.com/id/mitmaks

1968 silver/black/red striped R/T
My Charger is hybrid, it runs on gas and on tears of ricers
2001 Ram 2500 CTD
1993 Mazda MX-3 GS SE
1995 Ford Cobra SVT#2722

Ghoste

68 didn't have it, 66-67 and 69-70 are all.

Silver R/T

Ive looked and you can put in 69-70 ones on the 68 with some modification. I also was told that there's shallow style and deep style is about 1-1/2" or so deeper to clear the tail lights depending on which bulb socket recessess on the tail light housings you have.
Im not sure which one should I get?

2001 Ram 2500 CTD
1993 Mazda MX-3 GS SE
1995 Ford Cobra SVT#2722

Ghoste

If I'm not mistaken they only repop one of them.

Silver R/T

I have access to two different used ones

2001 Ram 2500 CTD
1993 Mazda MX-3 GS SE
1995 Ford Cobra SVT#2722

resq302

Quote from: Ghoste on August 21, 2009, 10:14:30 PM
If I'm not mistaken they only repop one of them.

Ghoste,

You are correct.  They only repro the narrow version.  I found out that I had the deep version when the repro I got didn't fit. :slap:
Brian
1969 Dodge Charger (factory 4 speed, H code 383 engine,  AACA Senior winner, 2008 Concours d'Elegance participant, 2009 Concours d'Elegance award winner)
1970 Challenger Convert. factory #'s matching red inter. w/ white body.  318 car built 9/28/69 (AACA Senior winner)
1969 Plymough GTX convertible - original sheet metal, #'s matching drivetrain, T3 Honey Bronze, 1 of 701 produced, 1 of 362 with 440 4 bbl - auto

Silver R/T

2001 Ram 2500 CTD
1993 Mazda MX-3 GS SE
1995 Ford Cobra SVT#2722

Ghoste

Did you measure how deep you need to clear everything?

TexasStroker

I cleaned up my tail light cover last night.  I am trying to decide between trying to remove the orange overspray or paint over it etc, and ultimately between keeping it or getting a new one.

I remember the thread with the deep vs narrow debate from the outfit in TN that repops them.

Does anyone have the Part # of the OE piece that will work with the one being reproduced?  That would let everyone know if there style is deep or narrow and subsequently if it will fit or will not fit.

I do not have the pics here at work, but I did get some good shots last night including the part number...Believe it was stamped at the bottom middle in the area of the trunk lock support tower.

I'll get the shot up later tonight.  Once it is hashed out what Pt # will and won't interchange guys can begin to trial fit over 68s and other things like that to let others know if they can retrofit the new piece to their application etc.
Founder, Amarillo Area Mopars
www.amarilloareamopars.com
Founder, Lone Star Mopars
www.lonestarmopars.com
Will set-up a regional Charger meet
Contact me for info!

TexasStroker

Here is a shot of the tail light cover off my 69.  To the best of my knowledge it is Part #2879506.

Does anyone know if this is the shallow or deep version based on the part number?  That info will correlate to the new pieces being repopped and help everyone know if the new tail light panel will fit their car or not.

I don't remember seeing concrete dimensions in the other thread, but I haven't looked at it in a month or two either...if anyone has them I can compare that with mine and see what specs out with what.

www.lonestarmopars.com
Contact me for info!

bill440rt

Currently, I have BOTH a shallow version and a deep version of these covers. (Silver, I'm the one that contacted you thru Moparts.)

Neither of mine appear to have part numbers on them. They are ORIGINAL, used covers. The shallow one looks like it has a "28", then fades so you can't even read it. The shallow one has the two tabs at the bottom, the deep one does not. The shallow one measures about 5" deep, the deeper one is 6". The grain on the deeper one also appears a little smoother.
The tail light recess area in the deeper one also looks to be a little narrower. The shallow one has wider tail light recesses.

Not sure which one would work in a '68, they never had them. If I were to guess I'd say the deeper one, as that would work no matter which '69 tail light design you had.

(BTW, they are BOTH for sale...)  :D

"Strive for perfection in everything. Take the best that exists and make it better. If it doesn't exist, create it. Accept nothing nearly right or good enough." Sir Henry Rolls Royce

TexasStroker

Awesome side-by-side Bill!

I guess that means mine is deep, so it is probably safe to run with deep tail light covers having Part # 2879506.  I'll assume that is correct until someone can give me reason to believe otherwise.

Also the "tabs" bolt to the bumper supports inside the trunk floor (I had asked about the holes in the trunk floor thread).  I saw a pristine 1970 and that is what they were for.  Makes me wonder if the "deep" was used first, and then it progressed into the shallow with tabs?  :shruggy:

Idk pretty confusing have all the different stories and covers from dift model years etc.

If I remember right the joint in TN is cranking out the shallow cover :brickwall:  I'll double check in the other thread later tonight...usually how it goes for me, lol.  Hopefully I'm wrong!
www.lonestarmopars.com
Contact me for info!

Silver R/T

thanks, I just thought if shallow one would fit then I don't really need deep one

2001 Ram 2500 CTD
1993 Mazda MX-3 GS SE
1995 Ford Cobra SVT#2722