News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

NAPA Rant!

Started by RECHRGD, August 26, 2009, 07:16:25 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

RECHRGD

I've usually had pretty good luck using NAPA stores for parts over the years, but my experience the last couple of days has me a little ticked off.  I was having some electrical issues with the '68 and had narrowed it down to the alternator.  I take the alternator down to the closest NAPA store to me and ask the guy at the counter if he could test it for me.  He looked at it and said "I see the problem" and said that one of the field terminals had snapped off.  I told him that it was a single field hook-up and he looked at me like I was crazy.  He went on that this was a dual field alternator and "ALL" Chrysler products had dual field alternators.  I calmly told him that it had been working just swell for about eight years with just one field wire and why would I lie about it?  He's really getting more upset at this point and goes on to tell me about all the NAPA electrical courses that he has attended.  Then he says "I can't test it anyway because that tab is broken".  I told him that there was still enough of the tab left to get his alligator clip on.  I had him test it both as a single and double field and it failed both ways.  I told him to just sell me one like the one that I brought in.  He said that he shouldn't sell me one because I'd just burn it up like the one that I brought in.  I countered with "well if it takes another 8 years for it to burn up, then I'm fine with that".  He didn't have one it stock, but found one at another store just a few miles away.  When I get to the other store and looked at the new alternator, it was identical to the one I had except the 2nd field terminal was in place and not cut off.  I questioned the guy behind the counter about it and he said to just use one of the field terminals if I had a single wire system.  Against my better judgment, I took it and installed it on the car.  Sure enough, it did not work.  I called the 2nd store up and got someone that knew what they were talking about.  He knew that all 69 and older mopars were single field units and he could have one at the store in a couple of hours.  They took back the first unit and when looking over the new one I noticed that it was a little different looking than the original, but was definitely a single field (only one terminal).  He said that in the past they may have used dual field cores and wound them as single field units.  OK, now this one for some reason was giving me grief trying to install it, but I finally got it on after about an hour.  I start the car up and it worked perfectly! :icon_smile_big: :icon_smile_big: :icon_smile_big: :icon_smile_big: FOR ABOUT 30 SECONDS. :flame: :brickwall: :flame: :brickwall: :flame: :brickwall:  The thing just quit working.  I checked out all the wiring and found no problems.  Called NAPA again and they said to bring it down in the morning and they would test it.  I get there this morning and it failed the test.  But now there was no more of those units in any of their stores in town, but they'll have one for me tomorrow. :brickwall: :brickwall: :flame: :flame:  I went to a AutoZone and they had one in stock that looked just like my original one.  It is now installed and works just fine after an hour long drive.  Look at all the grief that I could have avoided if I had gone to AutoZone in the first place!!!!  I guess the real pisser was the first guy that was a Know-it-all.  Funny though, because he was an old fart like me.  It's usually the younger guys with the ego problems.  Rant over.    Thanks, Bob
13.53 @ 105.32

41husk

I had a simular problem with Napa.  My 68 altenatoror went out, it took two days to have it delivered it had double post and I was told the same thing, " the enterals are wired for single post" I installed it and after about a week I notice my battery is dead again :brickwall: I guess I need to go to Auto Zone?
1969 Dodge Charger 500 440/727
1970 Challenger convertible 340/727
1970 Plymouth Duster FM3
1974 Dodge Dart /6/904
1983 Plymouth Scamp GT 2.2 Auto
1950 Dodge Pilot house pick up

Silver R/T

One employee can ruin whole experience. Happened to me when I was changing serpentine belts on my daily driver. Took old one in and he brings me 5 groove one instead of 4 groove one. Im like well this is wrong one, he's like no that's what computer shows me and your car probably had wrong one installed in first place. 5 groove would come off anyways imo. Ended up going to Schucks for the right one.
http://www.cardomain.com/id/mitmaks

1968 silver/black/red striped R/T
My Charger is hybrid, it runs on gas and on tears of ricers
2001 Ram 2500 CTD
1993 Mazda MX-3 GS SE
1995 Ford Cobra SVT#2722

mopar0166

gave up after they kept orderin the wrong parts

jaak

Just a couple of weeks ago I called to price a electronic distributor for my 73, guy on the phone argued with me for about 5 minutes that a 73 would have a points distributor....I told the guy look, I know the difference between a  points and electronic, its an electronic, well anyways he looked it up....I was right. Should have just done his job in the first place...looked it up, give me a price, and he wouldn't have looked like the jerk-off-dumb-ass that he did.

Jason

terrible one

It seems to me that this kind of shit is all I deal with trying to get parts for my car. I would always rather go through a specialty supplier or anyone else with good "feedback" on this forum. In my experience, there are plenty of horror stories like this about EVERY parts store chain. What I've found is that (as said) it just takes ONE employee to ruin your view of a company. But then again, they did hire these people . . .

bull

Napa is a good place for higher quality parts than most other places IMO but the staff there definitely isn't any more knowledgeable. There's two sides to the coin though. I think a lot of these parts guys start out pretty arrogant and on top of that they really are more knowledgeable than 90% of the people they deal with. And when they're arrogant, and not used to dealing with people who know what they're talking about, they tend to stick their foot in their mouth when someone knows their stuff. That doesn't excuse the character flaw of course but I think it's why things are the way they are.

moparjohn

I don't want to burst your bubble but be VERY cautious with your auto zone alt. . I had a repalcement from there burn up part of my wiring and the fuse link (ask RESQ32) and was the only time my car failed me.  I tried two more with no sucess (no other wire burning either) I found a local guy who correctlly rebuilds them for around a $100. I know this is more but peace of mind is worth it.  :Twocents:
Happiness is having a hole in your roof!

ITSA426

We have a local auto electric shop that rebuilds the item I bring in.  It's run by a guy old enough to know what he's looking at, with a couple younger employees.  He also likes muscle cars.  He's helped with other troubleshooting questions.  I think it's good to support a local business.  I know who to talk to if I ever do have a problem.

John_Kunkel

Here's how to alleviate some problems, go online to the store of your choice and look up the part number before you go to the store.
Pardon me but my karma just ran over your dogma.

TruckDriver

Never in my life have I ever liked Napa. Over priced and the same name parts you can get much cheaper at any other auto parts store.
PETE

My Dad taught me about TIME TRAVEL.
"If you don't straighten up, I'm going to knock you into the middle of next week!" :P

bull

Quote from: John_Kunkel on August 27, 2009, 04:56:47 PM

Here's how to alleviate some problems, go online to the store of your choice and look up the part number before you go to the store.

I often do that and most of the time it works but every once in a while they still don't believe you. Also the pictures of the parts don't always reflect reality once the box is open.

resq302

Quote from: moparjohn on August 27, 2009, 06:21:03 AM
I don't want to burst your bubble but be VERY cautious with your auto zone alt. . I had a repalcement from there burn up part of my wiring and the fuse link (ask RESQ32) and was the only time my car failed me.  I tried two more with no sucess (no other wire burning either) I found a local guy who correctlly rebuilds them for around a $100. I know this is more but peace of mind is worth it.  :Twocents:

Yeah, that was a fun time in Gettysburg, wasn't it?  Nothing like trying to get an alternator and wiring done when it was just about to rain.  I, also had the same problem with an alternator that I got from Auto Zone about 2 months after John had his incident.  Turns out the pos. bat. wire stud got loose and started sparking inside.  Luckily, I was working on the car when I saw it spark and was able to fix it right away before it started frying any wiring.  Anymore, if the company isn't a one man business or someone who has been around for years that is known for quality control, they aren't getting my parts.
Brian
1969 Dodge Charger (factory 4 speed, H code 383 engine,  AACA Senior winner, 2008 Concours d'Elegance participant, 2009 Concours d'Elegance award winner)
1970 Challenger Convert. factory #'s matching red inter. w/ white body.  318 car built 9/28/69 (AACA Senior winner)
1969 Plymough GTX convertible - original sheet metal, #'s matching drivetrain, T3 Honey Bronze, 1 of 701 produced, 1 of 362 with 440 4 bbl - auto

ACUDANUT

Napa is only good for Heavy Duty trucks. F600's ect.

RECHRGD

Quote from: moparjohn on August 27, 2009, 06:21:03 AM

Given that the NAPA unit only operated for 30 seconds, I am leary of any of these re-manufactured alternators.  I think their all done in Mexico regardless of what retail outlet is selling them. :Twocents:  Bob
13.53 @ 105.32

l8rg8r

I had a hell of a time finding a vacume advance with napa after two months of ordering the wrong one I cut the arm off my old one and welded it on to the new one and installed it on my 68 383  :2thumbs:

GN

Just got back from NAPA, they ordered in a ballast resistor for me. When I opened the box, it was busted in pieces. I guess it's back to the OReilly stuff.

jaak

Quote from: John_Kunkel on August 27, 2009, 04:56:47 PM

I agree, I do this alot too

Jason

General_01

I went to NAPA the other week looking for a stock radiator for the Bee. After I told him the car make and model he asked me what engine was in it. I told him it was a 383. I didn't want ot get into the mods that were made. He looked at me with a funny look on his face and asked if I had swapped the motor. I said no. He said the computer shows only a 225 and a 318. He asks if you could get a 383 with the car. I said yes you could. You could even get 440's in a '71 Charger.  :smilielol:

It was kinda good that happened. Forced me to go to the speed shop and get an aluminum one. :2thumbs:
1971 Dodge Charger Super Bee
496 stroker
4-speed