News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Engine Swap

Started by 73ChargerSE, November 21, 2005, 07:12:45 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

73ChargerSE

I'm planning on doing an engine swap with my Coronet.  What I have is a 400 out of my Newport that I plan on doing a mild rebuild with(4 bbl, cam etc.)  My question is: Is there anything I have to do to the Coronet so I can put this engine in? (Linkage etc.)  The dodgecoronet.com forums are usually pretty dead so thats why I posted here.  Any help, as always, is appreciated.

-Paul

Headrope

Sixty-eights look great and the '69 is fine.
But before the General Lee there was me - Headrope.

Chryco Psycho

assuming the Coronet had a V8 in it before all you need is the correct mounts to bolt to the block & it will bolt onto the K frame , other issues would be rad , Torsion bars , brakes , possibly throttle cable & kickdown linkage etc

73ChargerSE

It's a 66 and it has a 318 in it currently

cudaken

K-frame will be fine, you will need 66 BB motor mounts.You will need the 727 from the 400 and a converter for a 400. Guessing it will be a auto. You may need a 727 Tran's mount I think but nut sure. Drive shaft will need to be shorten. I would buy a new engine wiring harrness and are cheap, around $90.00. That way you will not need to cut and hack the old one.

Oil pan, that depends on what the 400 came out of. A truck pan will not work.

Radiator will need to be changed, depending of the 400 year water out lets will be on the wrong side. Think it was around 74 lower rad hose went from the left side to the right side.

Thottle kick down from the 440 should work, won't look right for a 66.

Front bars don't have to be changed, but for a street driver would not be a bad idea. Old racing trick was to use 318 or 6 banger front bars for better weight transfer.

New exhast as well.

Cuda Ken
I am back

73ChargerSE

I've got everything still on the Newport.  I still have the radiator and everything.  Did you mean the kickdown linkage from the 400?  Who sells the best/cheapest stroker kits for the 400's with steel cranks in the kits, and how much do you bore out the cylinder? Which wiring harness would I need?  Also, I checked the motor stamping and it said H400.  What does the H mean?

haueter66

i thought the driveshaft didnt always need shortened?  I went small block to big block in my 71 charger and the driveshaft was the correct length?

raull

Someone forgot to mention power stering. If it has power stering hoses are different sizes.  :(
I did a 318 engine swap to my 68 charger. I put in a 383 which is almost the same as the 400 except the cylinders but all the same.

Chryco Psycho

the driveshaft will be the same IF it had a 727 behind the 318 but not if it had the 904
440 source seems to have good stroker kits although I have not used them

cudaken

Quote from: jrzeppy on November 22, 2005, 08:16:18 PM
  Did you mean the kickdown linkage from the 400?   Which wiring harness would I need?  
Yes, I ment what you listed, 318 would be driffrent. Harrness I was speaking of was the engine harrness, wires for DIST will be to short. Besides new is good, just get one for a 383/440 for 1966.

Cuda Ken
I am back

79JON

Im not positive but if the old 318 had a 904 trans,    the transmission mount might be different between the 727 and a 904.  Just something to check.

Chryco Psycho

the Auto mount is the same , the 4spd had a different X member & located the mount differently on the tailhousing 

73ChargerSE

My Coronet has the 727 in it with the 8 3/4 which I thought was odd because it's a small block.