News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Is there a more sought after 440?

Started by Sixt8Chrgr, August 23, 2009, 09:46:57 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Sixt8Chrgr

Is there a structural difference between the casting numbers 4006630 and 2536430. I may rebuild a 440 and put in my Charger and the did not know if one of the blocks was superior to the other.

Thanks

HDCharger

I have heard the "Thin Wall" casting is a myth.  No matter which one you choose it will have to be magafluxed, sonic checked, etc. to make sure it is good.  Dave
MSG, US Army, Retired
1973 Charger SE
1976 Stepside Powerwagon
2007 Ram 1500 Laramie
2002 Jeep Wrangler Sport
1967 Dodge Truck

b5blue

Really you should have both checked out first one may just be in better shape generally. I don't think thinwall is a myth, it states in the MoPar B/RB book that they "should not be overbored more than .020" for racing". It goes on to say that a thinwall overbored to .020-.030 may be better because of the larger water jacket for a street car.

YGBSM

Thinwall is a myth, been proven over and over again.  E-berg and 440source have both done research on this and sonic-checked many supposed thinwall blocks. 

Also, later blocks (I think '69 and up) have a stiffening rib on the side and and some point the mounting ears got beefed up too.
'68 Charger R/T, numbers matching 440/727
Now with Hensley 496 stroker and Keisler 4-speed auto

firefighter3931

Sonic checking the block is the best way to determine the best re-build candidate. Some of the earlier castings have been known to be thin while many later 76-78 castings have thick walls. You can get good and bad with both...

Ron
68 Charger R/T "Black Pig" Street/Strip bruiser, 70 Charger R/T 440-6bbl Cruiser. Firecore ignition  authorized dealer ; contact me with your needs

Sixt8Chrgr

Which casting number could possibly be the thin wall block?

375instroke

TexasStroker

You are fine with any 440 block...just have the basic tests performed anyway to be certain.

I have recently heard that the MP books might have advised folks to avoid the later blocks not because they were thinner (they were not) but rather they stated that as a way to suggest guys go with earlier castings because there was better quality control etc...

Founder, Amarillo Area Mopars
www.amarilloareamopars.com
Founder, Lone Star Mopars
www.lonestarmopars.com
Will set-up a regional Charger meet
Contact me for info!