News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Aerodynamics and the average Charger

Started by Ghoste, August 24, 2009, 11:48:22 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ghoste

This is kind of a subjective question since I'm not sure their have been any real hard studies done on it, but... what effect do you think the Charger styling has on the average dragstrip performance?
The effects of the grille and backlight at 200 mph NASCAR speeds are well documented but how much do you think it impacts the typical drag car?  And by typical I do not mean Pro Mod or even a 10 second car.  I am talking about the sort of cars that most of us are taking to the strip, the 12 to 14 second ones. 
Of course, if you have an opinion on where the aero breaks (pun intended) are at, please do offer them.  100mph, 110, 120, where?

Dans 68

I would think the grill would slow the car down a wee bit (cudos to the President.... ;D) at speeds approaching a hundred, maybe half a 10th of a second less in the quarter mile. The back window configuration would not affect the drag time at all. It comes into play at high speeds. I'll try to find my wind tunnel data on the Charger versus the Daytona...then I can give an objective opinion.  :icon_smile_wink:

Dan
1973 SE 400 727  1 of 19,645                                        1968 383 4bbl 4spds  2 of 259

Mefirst

In my op. the aerodynamic short comings of the 2nd gen. Charger don't make no real difference for the once a month weekend dragracer.. Looking at the front end shape of the typical 70´s musclecar, they are al barndoors...

/Tom

Mike DC

I remember a figure that the tire drag is probably gonna amount to more of a parasitic loss than the aero on anything under like 50 mph.  But it goes up exponentially though, and by 100 it's definitely worth something.