News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Need help on assembling my head light buckets into my nose cone

Started by f6f6f6daytona, July 26, 2009, 08:42:48 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

f6f6f6daytona

Does anyone know the correct sequence for installation of the head light buckets into the nose cone.....anyone know of any tricks???   

Does anyone have 1 skinny head bolt for the bucket install????

A383Wing

Royal pain-in-the-ass job...especially getting them lined up even all around.

I have no suggestions for you except that it would be easier to do this with the nose-cone off. Then install as a complete unit...it's hard to get everything just right when the nose is on and you are reaching all over and can't see a damn thing.

The flat head bolts are available from the DSAC Club.....that's where I got mine.....

hotrod98

The headlamp buckets are tough to install. Mine are steel and my nose is fiberglass. I think that I have three full days in making the buckets and doors fit and operate correctly. My wife was watching and knew that I was getting frustrated and started hiding all of my hammers, especially the larger ones. The doors need to open and close smoothly and fit the openings correctly. I've had mine together and apart probably twenty times.
Assemble everything on the nose before you install it. If you're using a front spoiler make sure to install it before attaching the nose since it tweaks the nose considerably. The bast way to install the nose is to set the assembled nose on a table and raising the car up to the nose.

For the bucket bolts, call 414 687-2489 or e-mail dsac@execpc.com They're $2.50 each, ten required.

Normal is an illusion. What is normal for the spider is chaos for the fly.
Charles Addams

f6f6f6daytona

Thanks for the reply.... I have the whole nose assembly off the car presently and figured I would assemble everything first then slide it into place....
I am having a difficult time getting the buckets to line up with the skinny head bolt locations.
I guess what I need to know is----should I have the headlight assembly totally assembled into the buckets first----with vacuum hoses and headlight wiring attatched---then try to slide the bucket assembly into place over the skinny head bolts slots????? this is what I am doing and just can't seem to get the stuff to line up ...

Dave Kanofsky

Welcome f6f6f6daytona, glad to see you joined!
Good luck putting yours back together.
"God sent his Son into the world not to judge the world, but to save the world through him." John 3:17, NLT

Racers For Christ Chaplain (www.teamrfc.org)

Aero426

As mentioned we have the special flat head bolts for mounting the buckets.   You can send a check or if you use Pay Pal, send $25 (includes shipping) to: paydsac@hotmail.com

Mail address if you want to send a check:
Daytona Superbird Auto Club
13717 W Green Meadow Dr
New Berlin, WI  53151

Thanks,
Doug

hemi68charger

Hey there Brian..
Well,, I see you're here.........  :2thumbs:

Looks like you're getting pointed in the right direction already.........................

Troy
Troy
'69 Charger Daytona 440 auto 4.10 Dana ( now 426 HEMI )
'70 Superbird 426 Hemi auto: Lindsley Bonneville Salt Flat world record holder (220.2mph)
Houston Mopar Club Connection

hotrod98

The bucket assemblies will definitely have to be installed complete. I install the bolts into the nose with the nuts left loose and then slide the buckets over the bolts and then tighten. It's easier if you have someone help hold the bolts in place as you slide the assemblies in place. I had to do surgery on the buckets in the corners to get them to go all of the way in. I had to remove a little sheet metal along that edge.
I'm still  learning about these things myself.

Charles Addams

f6f6f6daytona

when you say that you removed some sheet metal from the headlight buckets....were you talking about the outside side of the bucket???

hotrod98

Yes. The bucket wouldn't go all of the way up into the corner. There are so many variations of parts that some alteration is inevitable. Many of the parts are almost exact copies of the originals but we're trying to fit them to other parts that are not like the originals such as the fiberglass noses. Obviously the fiberglass part is going to be thicker in most areas compared to the steel original. A fiberglass part is going to have to be thicker to be strong enough to replace a steel part. They can only mimic the dimensions on one side, usually the side that shows.
Measure the thickness of the bucket mounting tab on a steel nose and then measure the tab on the fiberglass nose. It's a wonder that we can get any of this stuff to go together at all. Fun, fun, fun.

Charles Addams

f6f6f6daytona

anyone knows who makes this item???? not out of fiberglass?? ( screen frames)

hotrod98

I made my own from scratch. That way they fit my nose exactly. They're not that hard to make.

Charles Addams