News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

What does this piece of the steering column do?...pic included

Started by Blakcharger440, August 06, 2009, 09:03:26 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Blakcharger440

Hey, I installed an aftermarket steering wheel and collar in my 70 Charger R/T and found out that everytime I installed it this bracket was getting in the way. I removed it and it seems the column still functions but does not lock out when I take the key out..... is that what this piece is for and if so will harm anything now that I have removed it?

RD

that is the piece that holds your spring loaded steering lock mechanism in place. your steering lock will not engage.
67 Plymouth Barracuda, 69 Plymouth Barracuda, 73 Charger SE, 75 D100, 80 Sno-Commander

charger_cody

I think that you will be good. But if anyone were to try to steal your car they would do it because the stearing wheel wouldnt lock up. Idk your opinion.

Cody

Blakcharger440

Quote from: charger_cody on August 06, 2009, 09:41:09 PM
I think that you will be good. But if anyone were to try to steal your car they would do it because the stearing wheel wouldnt lock up. Idk your opinion.

Cody

But if theives wanted the car that bad couldnt they just "break it" somehow and then the wheels would turn anyway?

LeadfootBob

Probably, yes. The easiest way to thief-proof your car (considering how RIDICULOUSLY easy vintage cars are to steal) is a hidden switch or two, cutting fuel and/or ignition power. Of course, If you live in post-apocalyptic Australia, you could always wire a stick of dynamite in there as well  ;)
Proud member of the jack stand racing team since 1999.
'70 Charger 500: "Bronson", some kind of hillbilly hot rod in progress.
'89 Chevy Caprice 9C1: "it's got a cop motor..."