News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

69 charger dash wiring problems

Started by tripleblkr/t, July 26, 2009, 09:43:37 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

tripleblkr/t

I just installed my dash in my 69 charger and now I'm trying to get all the lights working. I have tail lights headlights low and high beam, console lights, dome lights, no brake lights yet and no alum. dash lights yet. There's no steering column in it as of yet so that why my brake light probably aren't working yet and my alum dash lights? My big issue is I'm getting a bad short when I turn my high beams on. My harness gets hot to my dimmer switch. I can hear it sparking behind my dash cluster and there's power going through my whole cluster with the test light. When I put it on low beam it's fine.

tripleblkr/t

found my problem, it was the high beam light in the dash. The metal tab where the bulb sits was bent and hitting the wall of the socket.

TylerCharger69

Glad you found it!!!   I was going to say something was grounding out there....I'm surprised a fuse didn't blow. :2thumbs:

71_deputy

no fuse in that circuit as the high/low and the dash indicator is protected by the internal circuit breaker of the headlight switch- so a small short( smaller wire feeding it) will not draw the higher amps to trip it.

John Mac
1971 Deputy Challenger 383 4bbl-- 1 of 2 made!!
1967 Charger 440/auto
1973 Road Runner 340/4 speed
2000 1500 Ram Van