News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Camaro, Challenger, & Shelby Shootout

Started by keepat, July 26, 2009, 07:43:01 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

keepat

Some have ask me how the three compare, so after putting over 2500 miles on the Camaro, 4000 on the Challenger, & more than 5000 on the Shelby I think it's time I do a write up on the three cars.

2007 Ford Shelby GT 500
   Motor- 5.4L 500 HP
   Trans- 6 speed manual
   Rear- 3.31
   Weight- 3785lbs
   Fuel Economy- city 15, highway 21
   Gas Guzzler Tax- $1,300.00   
   Price with tax & tags out the door- $49,745.00
      All option except Nav system
   ¼ Mile Time & Speed- 12.13 @ 120 mph 

The Shelby all stock handles the poorest of the three cars. They should've used an IRS rear like the Challenger & Camaro did! The car has a lot of road noises and a few squeaks. Now if you hit the gas all you hear is the awesome sound of the supercharger and the road noises disappears.

The interior takes 2nd place in the retro contest. It has a great looking dash with two built in shift lights, one light for best mpg and the other is adjustable for red line shifting. The passenger seat is to low and should be electric, and the back seat is for kids at best. The clutch pedal is hard & feels like you are lifting the car up with the effort it takes to push it in.

Hands down this is the fastest car of the three and the most fun to take drag racing. You definitely want to be in this car at any stop light street race. With the widest rear tires of the three (285/45-18 still to small) it will smoke them up at 45mph.                       

2008 Dodge Challenger SRT/8
   Motor- 6.1L 425 HP
   Trans- 5 speed auto
   Rear- IRS 3.06
   Weight- 4150lbs
   Fuel Economy- city 13, highway 18
   Gas Guzzler Tax- $2,100.00
   Price with tax & tags out the door- $45,009.00
      All 3 option (Nav, upgraded tires, & sunroof)
   ¼ Mile Time & Speed- 13.18 @ 106 mph

To me the Challenger has the best Retro looks, front, back, and side it looks like a 1970 Challenger. It is the biggest of the 3 cars, 10" longer then the Shelby, and almost 8" longer then the Camaro. As a consequence of it size it drive and feels more like a B body then an E body. On the upside of its size it has a comfortable back seat and a large trunk.

As the largest & heaviest car one would think it would have the widest tires of the three. Not the case as it rolls on 255/45-20 and there not much room left in the wheel well for a wider tire. Brembo brakes on all 4 corners are an upgrade over the Shelby (front only) and they look cool!

This car gets the most attention of the three, partly because of the Hemi orange color and the Retro looks. Its great on the highway as it is quiet, smooth, and relaxing to drive. The Challenger has the best fit, finish, and overall quality of the three. Is that a result of the German engineering on the LX platform? I'm not sure but I do think it's a notch above the Camaro & Shelby.           

2010 Chevrolet Camaro SS/RS
   Motor- 6.2L 426 HP
   Trans- 6 speed manual
   Rear- IRS
   Weight- 3900lbs
   Fuel Economy- city 16, highway 24
   Gas Guzzler Tax- NA
   Price with tax & tags out the door- $39,848.00
      All option except ground effects
         Note Nav system not available
   ¼ Mile Time & Speed - TBA

Driving the Camaro feels balance, agile and it part of the road. The suspension will let you take most turns with confidences and the Brembo brakes will help you through all others. The car is quiet and smooth with no squeak or road noises. The front seats fit me well and their comfortable, but I'm not sure you could say the same about the back seat.

The interior is nicely done with the most retro looking of the three cars. The top of the door panels have a cool ambient lighting and the steering wheel feels great in your hands. The emergency brake is on the wrong side of the console and the shifter is clunky and long between gears. It also has a 1st to 2nd bypass to 4th if you drive & shift slow that sucks!

For the most part Chevy did a great job with the Camaro and I think it represents the best value of the three. If you break it down price per horse power it's by far the best deal. The Challenger is $105.90 per HP, Shelby $99.49 per HP, and the Camaro $93.54 per HP   

Best Motor-   (hand built and signed)         Shelby GT 500
Best Looking Motor-   (no plastic engine cover)      Shelby GT 500
Best Trans & clutch-                   Camaro SS/RS
Best Stereo-                     Challenger SRT/8
Best Paint-                     Challenger SRT/8
Best Stripes-                     Shelby GT 500
Best Trunk-                     Challenger SRT/8
Best Backseat-                     Challenger SRT/8
Best Tires & wheels-                  Shelby GT 500
Best Ride-                     Challenger SRT/8
Best ¼ Mile Time & speed- (12.13 @ 120 mph)      Shelby GT 500
Best Handling                     Camaro SS/RS
Best Braking                     Camaro SS/RS 
Best Retro Interior-                  Camaro SS/RS
Best Retro Exterior-                  Challenger SRT/8
Best Emblem                     Shelby GT 500
Best Overall Quality-                  Challenger SRT/8
Best Gas Mileages-   (only one without gas guzzler tax)   Camaro SS/RS
Best Gas Fill Cover-   (love the chrome)         Challenger SRT/8
Best Hood                     Challenger SRT/8
Best looking from the front               Shelby GT 500
Best looking from the side               Camaro SS/RS
Best looking from the back               Challenger SRT/8
Best Sounding Stock Exhaust-            Challenger SRT/8
Best Sounding motor- (supercharger)            Shelby GT 500
Best Engineered                  Camaro SS/RS
Best Value                     Camaro SS/RS

It's hard to pick a winner or my outright favorite of the three. If need a usable backseat the Challenger would be the best car. Or if you had a budget under 40K and need the best MPG the Camaro would be your best choice. But if all you are looking for is a ¼ mile racecar the Shelby is the one!

Pat

Ghoste

Could you pick a favorite based on the intangible results?  You know, which car just makes you grin the most for no real reason that you can pin down.

69bronzeT5

Wow Pat, that must of taken you a while to type. Thanks for that :cheers:
Feature Editor for Mopar Connection Magazine
http://moparconnectionmagazine.com/

1969 Charger: T5 Copper 383 Automatic
1970 Challenger R/T: FC7 Plum Crazy 440 Automatic
1970 GTO: Black 400 Ram Air III 4-Speed
1971 Charger Super Bee: GY3 Citron Yella 440 4-Speed
1972 Charger: FE5 Red 360 Automatic
1973 Charger Rallye: FY1 Top Banana 440 Automatic
1973 Plymouth Road Runner: FE5 Red 440 Automatic
1973 Plymouth Duster: FC7 Plum Crazy 318 Automatic

keepat

BB1

I rest my case.

Love that new Camaro.  :cheers: :2thumbs:

For that ear to ear grin, value, power, handling, looks, make mine bow tie.
Delete my profile

4cruzin

That was a great write-up and nicely done!   :2thumbs: 
Tomorrow is promised to NOBODY . . . .

RD

it is refreshing to see a review by someone that is not persuaded by advertisers $$$.  thank you so much for this as I have read many magazine write ups to find them missing the actual driver's viewpoint.  you have summed up in very little words what would take them thousands and they would still not have the substance that you just provided.  awesome pat, simply awesome.
67 Plymouth Barracuda, 69 Plymouth Barracuda, 73 Charger SE, 75 D100, 80 Sno-Commander

devilgear

Great write up pat. I trust people are hands on and not someone who workd for a paper or a car company for an opinion best. It's way cool you have all 3 uperline models. I obviously love the MOPAR, but I think the Camaro is great and as much as I hate to admit it the mustang looks nice and it seems to get the best marks of all 3 in every shoot out I see.

Silver R/T

Thanks for review. I guess it would depend on person as far which car has best looks, etc. You take 5 people and all of them will have variances.
http://www.cardomain.com/id/mitmaks

1968 silver/black/red striped R/T
My Charger is hybrid, it runs on gas and on tears of ricers
2001 Ram 2500 CTD
1993 Mazda MX-3 GS SE
1995 Ford Cobra SVT#2722

Smokey Bear

Thanks for the write up. The Challenger is too big and heavy to really compete in the same field (not that any are the lightweights they should be). The Shelby, being supercharged and $10,000 more car than the Camaro is not suprising to end up the favorite.

I envy your garage, but not your insurance premiums and depreciation hit.

PS - I noticed that the longer the stripes, the faster the car. I'm gonna go get a bucket of paint and a roller and hit the garage !

oldcarnut

Thanks, it's been a discussion frequently during the lunch break at work.  It's good to hear it from someone with regular driving experience in each.  It must be really good to have each.    :2thumbs:

Magnumcharger

OK...I know I'm a jerk, but....what do you do for a living? :scratchchin:
I mean, the average car enthusiast MIGHT be able to buy ONE of those cars. You've got the complete set....and the "hottest" ones being offered. :o
Whatever it is that you do, I WANT TO DO TOO!! :icon_smile_big:
1968 Plymouth Barracuda Formula S 340 convertible
1968 Dodge Charger R/T 426 Hemi 4 speed
1968 Plymouth Barracuda S/S clone 426 Hemi auto
1969 Dodge Deora pickup clone 318 auto
1971 Dodge Charger R/T 440 auto
1972 Dodge C600 318 4 speed ramp truck
1972 Dodge C800 413 5 speed
1979 Chrysler 300 T-top 360 auto
2001 Dodge RAM Sport Offroad 360 auto
2010 Dodge Challenger R/T 6 speed
2014 RAM Laramie 5.7 Hemi 8 speed

danmc77

Great write up - thanks! 

In defense of the Challenger's cost per HP figure, it DOES have the sunroof/Nav/tires upgrade over the other cars - I suspect that could easily be a net result of a few grand added to the bottom line - minus the cost of those luxury items that the other cars may not have, and the $ per hp might be a little closer to that of the Camaro.  I see the Camaro does have a sunroof, but the NAV alone is usually a $1200 or so option by itself.

Too bad the Chally doesn't have the 6-speed manual offered in '09 - IMO, I will always choose the manula over the auto in a comparison of street cars - the Chally didn't have a chance in that category, lol.

devilgear

The Challenger does have the 6 speed in 09.It did not have it in 08.

RD

danmc77 was saying that "too bad (keepat's) chally doesnt have the 6 speed manual (that is) offered in the '09"... just have to read it differently.
67 Plymouth Barracuda, 69 Plymouth Barracuda, 73 Charger SE, 75 D100, 80 Sno-Commander

danmc77

Quote from: devilgear on July 27, 2009, 08:47:07 PM
The Challenger does have the 6 speed in 09.It did not have it in 08.
I meant:  too bad it doesn't have the 6 speed...  offered in '09.  Meaning the one they started offering in 09.

danmc77

Quote from: RD on July 27, 2009, 10:31:43 PM
danmc77 was saying that "too bad (keepat's) chally doesnt have the 6 speed manual (that is) offered in the '09"... just have to read it differently.
Ha - just saw this after I posted the clarification.  That's exactly what i meant, thanks.