News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Accelerator Pump circuit adjustment

Started by Rightwing, July 23, 2009, 08:25:42 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Rightwing

I have a 69 with a 383.  The car has been very weak on acceleration since I've had it (it will not spin a tire....period).  I recently changed the power valve due to a blowout and did a changeover to electronic ignition.  Since then I have to feather the pedal to accelerate or it will stall, thus I believe my accelerator pump to be screwed up somewhere along the way.  It still idles smooth but still is slow.  One of the other posts I saw mentioned something about adjusting the accelerator pump, which I suppose is the screw on the linkage that pushes on the accel. pump plunger lever   So after saying all that.  What would be the method to adjusting the accelerator pump?  Its got a holly 600.  Any help would be appreciated.
Those who will sacrifice Liberty for Safety, deserve neither---Ben Franklin

maxwellwedge

With the car off, peer down the carb primaries (choke open) and pull the throttle back. Is there a good steady stream of gas shooting out of the squirters? If there is, open the throttle fully. You should have (I believe) .015" clearance between the accelerator pump arm and the bottom of the spring bolt. If you don't have any kind of decent pump shot, change the accelerator diaphragm.

maxwellwedge

Rightwing

Thanks a ton yall.  After looking at the stream of gas, I think I'm gonna change the diaphragm. One side looks ok but the other side is more of a dribble.  I have never adjusted it before either so I'll let ya know how it turns out.

maxwellwedge

When you say one side, do you mean it is a douple pumper and the primaries are ok but the secondaries dribble (or vice-versa)? Or is it a single pumper and one half of the squirter has a stream and the other nozzle on the same squirter dribbles? If that's the case either that squirter is clogged or damaged and needs to be cleaned out or replaced.

Rightwing

I believe my accelerator pump problem is fixed.  The plastic cam on the linkage looked to be worn out and/or modified by the previous owner.  I replaced it as well as adjusted the spring.  I think I wasn't getting enough travel to the lever on the pump, causing a weak stream. Cleaned out the feeder nozzle as well.  So now I'm back to being able to drive the car normally, However its still terribly slow.  "Slow" meaning that "flooring it" from a stop only gets me moderate acceleration that is smooth and even but it will not even chirp a tire.   Anyone got some ideas of what to check next?  Fuel pump volume maybe?  The only other symptom I have is that it is reluctant to start when hot.  I speculate the hot start problem to maybe be that I don't have the momentary 12v hot going to the coil during startup, but instinct tells me that's more of a cold start problem, which I don't have. :scratchchin:

oldcarnut

When you replaced the power valve did you check your vacuum and get the power valve size to suit the vacuum?