News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Looking for an opinion on wheel/tire size

Started by dpixel, July 14, 2009, 11:28:00 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

dpixel

I have a 1972 with 14" stock wheels and want to switch to 15"  My idea was to go with 15x7" rims and then 225/60/15 on the front and 235/60/15 on the rear.  From reading some posts on here I know clearance wouldn't be a problem, but would it look right?  The rear sits a little high or normal due to a leaf replacement a few years ago (just 1 leaf and bushings). 

Also does anyone use or suggest hub centric spacers on after market wheels?

Great forum by the way!  :2thumbs:

Thanks
Dave

Mass_Mopar

That combo will work just fine, but will probably look a tad skinny.  I know some people have gone with 15x7s or 15x8s with 235s or 245s all the way around with no fitment issues.  Having a skinnier tire on the front vs the rear will look just fine :2thumbs:

I don't have any experience with wheel spacers but from what I've read about them, why bother?  for the most part they're ~$100 each if you get nice billet ones.  If you just added that $100 to the price of each wheel, you can get custom wheels with the correct backspacing or bolt pattern. :Twocents:

-Nick

70 Charger 500 383/833 pistol grip 3.91sg
71 New Yorker 440/Auto
04 Ram 5.7L 4x4 5spd 3.92 Auburn Posi
Old screen name MA_Young_Gun

dpixel

When I said spacer I should have said ring.  Such as: http://www.summitracing.com/parts/GOR-73-5710/   to take up the space between the hub and the center bore of the after market rim.  Are these necessary?  With out them, does it put too much stress on the lug nuts?

Also, what would be proper backspacing for a 7" rim?  8" rim?  I'm thinking 3.75" to 4".  My stock 14" rims have a backspacing of 3.5"

Thank for the reply.
Dave

Stretch

I have 15x8 wheel ventiques magnum 500's all the way around with 235/60/15 up front and 295/50/15 out back.
I may be schizophrenic but at least I have us!

dpixel

Those 295/50's do look cool on 3rd Gen Chargers.  I'm not sure if I want that much meat on the back.  I just got some 225/60/15's for the front.  They really look good and seem to be the proper fit with a 7" wheel with 4" backspacing.  Nice upgrade from the stock 14" wheels.

I'm more leaning towards a 255/60/15 on and 8" rim with 4-1/2" backspacing for the rear.  235's would'nt be much of a difference.  But I don't want to go with too much of bigger tire for the back though.

So far so good with the lug centric rims.  No vibration from 0 to 90 mph.  I bought new Mcgard lugnuts with the wheels.

And I'm going with the black D-window rims for of a nascar/rat rod look

mikesbbody

Dave, I have a 72 Charger and run 245/60/15 on 7's (front) and 275/60/15 on 8's (rear) no clearence issues not sure on the back spacing but if I were you I'd run at least a 275 on the back there's plenty of roon back there  :yesnod:

dpixel

I already have 225/60/15's on a 7" rim with 4" backspacing for the front.

I'm leaning towards a 255/60/15 with a 8" rim.  The backspacing options for the 8" rim are 4" and 4.75". 

My question would be which backspacing would be better? 

With a 4" backspacing, the tire would be very close to the inner fender lip at the top.  I'm thinking the 4.75" backspacing because it looks as it would be more centered between the fender and the leaf spring.  Plus, I could always go for a bigger tire in the future.

dpixel

In case anyone is interested, here's a photo.  I know the body is rough, but very mechanically sound.  255/60/15 on an 8" rim on the back and 225/60/15 on a 7" rim on the front.

69*F5*SE

Dude, that doesn't look so bad.  I like it. It has major potential.

dpixel

A little more about the car:  It has new torsion bars and a new leaf in the rear springs.  Completely rebuilt front end.  I actually had a torsion bar break over night...just while sitting there.  Good thing I wasn't under it. 

Also a 318 with a 4-barrel carb and upgraded to electronic ignition.  Original motor and trans.  New trans mount and yoke with a rebalanced driveshaft.  New Melling High volume oil pump.

Front disc brakes

Duel exhaust of course

The bad:

-Drivers seat is horrible.
-Body
-Warped power steering pulley but new pump and hoses
-Non-working ac

Where's my fries?    :popcrn: