News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Hurst shifter install question

Started by devilgear, July 21, 2009, 09:07:52 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

devilgear

OK I am in the middle of installing my Hurst V-matic 2 shifter and I have a question. I am supposed to replace the transmission shift lever. I got that, but there is another shift lever above it that goes up to the carbs. What the heck does this thing do? Do I need it? It seems to not move when the transmission lever moves. So I am not sure what it is and does. I feel dumb for not knowing, but any help is appreciated. Thanks.

kab69440

I believe that to be your kickdown linkage.
Imagination was given to man to compensate him for what he is not;  a sense of humor to console him for what he is.      Francis Bacon

WANT TO BUY:
Looking for a CD by  'The Sub-Mersians'  entitled "Raw Love Songs From My Garage To Your Bedroom"

Also, any of the various surf-revival compilation albums this band has contributed to.
Thank you,    Kenny

Jesus drove a Honda. He wasn't proud of it, though...
John 12: 49     "...for I did not speak of my own Accord."

devilgear

I'm sorry for being so dumb, but what does it do? I have heard the term, but not positive of the use. The directions did not mention or show this at all...

Ghoste

It is absolutely necessary.  It is too much mistakenly referred to as the kickdown linkage because of the role it plays in allowing your transmission to "kick down" into a lower gear when you are accelerating from a cruising speed.  It's real and far more important purpose is indicated in the Chrysler name for the lever which is the "throttle pressure lever".  In short, what it does is to raise the hydraulic operating pressures inside the transmission so that they correspond to the higher torque loads of the engine as rpm is increased.  Eliminate it and the trans won't be able to apply enough pressure to the bands or clutches to enable it to operate in a load condition (manual valve bodies excepted of course).

devilgear

Ok cool. I did disconnect it thinking it was part of the shifter, but I can put it back no problem.I broke the little tab at the bottom of it that holds it in place, but I can find something to secure it with. It's funny cause I don't know how it works though, I can't for the life of me see how it's triggered. If I move the transmission linkage it won't move with it. Whatever. I'll just put it back.

Ghoste

It's kind of a shaft within a shaft if you can visualize that.

devilgear

Now I'm on the hunt for the kickdown linkage clip. I broke it taking it off so now I need. Ugh... Always something. The local Oreiley did not have the right size. Hmm.I'm gonna call a transmission shop to see if they may have them.

LeadfootBob

It doesn't move with the transmission linkage, but rather with the throttle. If you feel like spending some  :Twocents: Lokar (and others, i'm sure) has a setup that replaces the linkage with a wire, nice stuff. On my old Dart we fabbed our own using a throttle cable from an old Honda 750, worked pretty well after the initial "calibration".  Plenty of ways to make it work :cheers:
Proud member of the jack stand racing team since 1999.
'70 Charger 500: "Bronson", some kind of hillbilly hot rod in progress.
'89 Chevy Caprice 9C1: "it's got a cop motor..."

devilgear

Well I fixed my old clip by drilling a hole and inserting a screw and spacer. It seems to work well. Got the shifter install finished yesterday. WORKS AWESOME...