News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

1971 charger drive shaft can i use???

Started by toplescuda, July 22, 2009, 12:16:18 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

toplescuda

we have a 71 charger  that was a small block car    we have added a 440 to it and will have a 4 speed   we have also bought a big block drive shaft for a 8 3/4
  car has the orignal 8 1/4 rear
what im wanting to know is  can i use the big block drive shaft for a 8 3/4  some how till i swap out the 8 1/4 rearend   or is it possible to put the big block yoke and add to the orignal driveshaft(think one is like 2 inches longer)
ralph

Ghoste

Have you measured the driveshafts and know the one is 2 inches longer?  I ask because just doing a quick check and I am probably reading something wrong here, but it looks to me like you need about the same length driveshaft for those two applications.
What did the 440 shaft come out of?  What size u-joints are you dealing with?

toplescuda

the pinion on the 8 1/4 and 8 3/4   dont remember wich one off top of my head but one sticks out 2 inches or so futher then the other the
i bought a drive shaft out of a 71 charger that was a factory big block car and had the orignal 8 3/4 rear
  i just dont have the 8 3/4 rear yet

Ghoste

I'm just going by the 71 fsm here and according to it a 440 four speed hardtop Charger with an 8.75 rearend has a driveshaft that is 50.68 inches long.  The same car equipped with an 8.25 axle and a 318 has a driveshaft that is 50.68 long with a 3.23 drive and 50.80 long with a 2.94 gear.
Like I said, I'm probably missing something here but that's what I read.

toplescuda

hmmmmm   a few years ago when we bought the car(rolling shell) i knew what we were gonna do with it 
i had asked about the drive shaft as i know a 727 and 904 yoke are not the same  and all the replys i got was the driveshaft was gonna be 2 something inches differnt the tha factory shaft    the car had a drive shaft in the trunk   and it was indeed a couple inches differnt as i had went ahead and bought a  driveshaft out of a big block charger that had a 8 3/4    remembering the differance in length is why i asked   im bout to put the 4 speed in the car so as of right now not possible to stick it up there to see if will work
thanks for the replys   lol got me scratching my head now
ralph

Ghoste

Yeah, I'm trying to make more sense of it here too and the numbers I gave you for the 318 shaft were with a threee speed manual tranny.  I can't find a number for a 318 automatic with the 8.25 axle.  The 318 with 8.75 and 727 automatic is the same but with a 904 and 8.75 it's 54.86 or 54.92 depending on final ratio.
Maybe I should just scan the page and post it for you to try and sort out yourself?