News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

How to defend from "rootkits" in computers ?

Started by b5blue, July 10, 2009, 10:04:32 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

b5blue

OK now I'm learning about "rootkits" and how many (free) anti virus programs do not stop rootkits. They hide themselves inside as part of there install infection and once in place are not detectable.  :o Can anyone here enlighten me, apparently the only way to rid yourself of them is to wipe everything out and start over. (I don't have a problem yet but other than a malfunction how would you know?)   

0X01B8

Well, if you really want to be sure and sleep better, then yes, you'll want a clean format/install.

John_Kunkel

Many spyware programs claim to elimitate/block rootkits.
Pardon me but my karma just ran over your dogma.

b5blue

Thanks guys everything is and has been fine, I'm just trying to keep it that way.

dodgecharger-fan

www.sysinternals.com - now a microsoft site - has a program called RootkitRevealer.

http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/sysinternals/bb897445.aspx

That, and the other sysinternal programs are great. I use Process Explorer and TCP View all the time.

b5blue

Wow Thanks! That's what I was hoping to find.  :2thumbs: Kernel rootkits are bitch, your link explains why a standard scan can't apply (the rootkit can defend against it if it has a file name basically) I'm a noob trying to learn before getting burned!  :cheers:

chargergirl

Always have your "rebuild" CD's to the side. Many great programs out there to watch for malware but too many new and inventive ones to keep up with that it does happen sometimes. Yield Manager is one of the worst and you get it by buying a "safeware" program. You need three programs to get rid of it and one of those programs is the one that put it there. Hows that for cornering the market? Clear cookies before shutting down is one way to keep the programs out that "open upon booting" hard drive grab.
Trust your Woobie!

b5blue

Foreman72

Eric "Foreman"

Previous: 1972 Dodge Charger
Current: 2002 Volvo S60

"The steps of a man are ordered by the LORD, and He delights in his way. Though he fall, he shall not be utterly cast down; For the LORD upholds him with His hand.
=Psalm 37:23-24=
"But store up for yourselves treasures in heaven..."
=Matthew 6:19-21=
:pat