News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

thermal ceramic coating exhaust manifolds

Started by hemi68charger, July 15, 2009, 09:25:49 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

hemi68charger

Hey gang...
Thinking of getting my exhaust manifolds on the Daytona ceramic coated to reduce heat transferred into the engine compartment through the manifolds. To get the inside and outside coated by Jet-Hot it's about $380. To get the exterior only by a local shop and surface as much of the ports that can be accessed via spray, it's about $189.

Am I totally wasting my money if I get the exterior and ports done only? Is there a significant reduction in heat with the exterior only? I know it would be reduced the Jet-Hot way. I'm trying to maximize my dollars. Anything should help. Thermodynamically, the exterior only would reduce the heat transfer from the iron and deflect it back into the exhaust pipes, but how much?

OK, that's enough.. Long winded question.

Troy
Troy
'69 Charger Daytona 440 auto 4.10 Dana ( now 426 HEMI )
'70 Superbird 426 Hemi auto: Lindsley Bonneville Salt Flat world record holder (220.2mph)
Houston Mopar Club Connection

firefighter3931

Troy, i had my TTI's coated and am very happy with the results. I was tuning the car last week and hit the headers with my infrared heat gun...surface temps were 300*F  :2thumbs:

The last set of headers i checked (uncoated) were in the 580*F range.... so yes a significant drop in surface temps and radiant heat.  :icon_smile_big:

Ron
68 Charger R/T "Black Pig" Street/Strip bruiser, 70 Charger R/T 440-6bbl Cruiser. Firecore ignition  authorized dealer ; contact me with your needs

hemi68charger

Quote from: firefighter3931 on July 16, 2009, 07:54:03 AM
Troy, i had my TTI's coated and am very happy with the results. I was tuning the car last week and hit the headers with my infrared heat gun...surface temps were 300*F  :2thumbs:

The last set of headers i checked (uncoated) were in the 580*F range.... so yes a significant drop in surface temps and radiant heat.  :icon_smile_big:

Ron

Ron, did you have them coated inside and out? I'm not finding anyone in the Greater Houston area that can do manifolds both inside and out. There are two firms here locally that can do the exterior and inside the port and flange areas, but all the way inside........  This is encouraging.. I would LOVE to drop the radiant heat temperatures on the Daytona. I wanna drive the heck out of it without giving it undue heat damage/aging.

Troy
Troy
'70 Superbird 426 Hemi auto: Lindsley Bonneville Salt Flat world record holder (220.2mph)

firefighter3931

Troy,

My headers originally came nickel plated. I asked about "complete" interior coating but was told that the local company did not do it....so mine are just externally treated with a finish called "CermaChrome". The pipes were not completely coated (inside) but as far in as they could reach with their equipment. On a long tube header the most critical part is the section of pipe closest to the exhaust port anyways....

Maybe on an HP style manifold it would be possible to have them done completely inside/out....but on a long tube header i don't see how that's possible  :scratchchin: My guess is that most headers advertised as being interior coated have about 12in of coating at either end or thereabouts....

Here's a link :  http://www.rldindustries.com/

Ron
68 Charger R/T "Black Pig" Street/Strip bruiser, 70 Charger R/T 440-6bbl Cruiser. Firecore ignition  authorized dealer ; contact me with your needs

Just 6T9 CHGR

Troy, like I stated in one of your other "hot Daytona" questions, I had my maniofolds Jet-Hot coated (in & out) and dropped the temps considerably.  I did mine for a more cosmetic appearance though....I was sick of the rust through every season.... :Twocents:
Chris' '69 Charger R/T

hemi68charger

Quote from: NOT Just 6T9 CHGR on July 16, 2009, 11:11:33 AM
Troy, like I stated in one of your other "hot Daytona" questions, I had my maniofolds Jet-Hot coated (in & out) and dropped the temps considerably.  I did mine for a more cosmetic appearance though....I was sick of the rust through every season.... :Twocents:

Chris, I'm taking it that your valve covers, especially the passenger side, fair alot better in regards to the heat and the paint isn't effected much?

May just have to say "Screw it" and get it done Jet-Hot... Do you remember how much shipping was? I can image it's going to add another $100 to the total.

Troy
Troy

Just 6T9 CHGR

Yes it fairs a bit better but it still gets burnt after a few years.
I had them done a while ago but the shipping wasnt that bad...30-40 bux...they have locations across the country that coat so it keeps the shipping costs down

Looking on their site they have a $50 off coupon as well...
And I think their cast-iron grey is a little darker now....mine is a bit light
http://jet-hot.com/
Chris' '69 Charger R/T

hemi68charger

Quote from: NOT Just 6T9 CHGR on July 16, 2009, 12:19:16 PM
Looking on their site they have a $50 off coupon as well...

Yeap, ends tomorrow.. Figures... lol
Troy