News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

I left out part on rebuilt heater box

Started by Paul 500, February 24, 2010, 06:44:01 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Paul 500

I've realized i've left this spring out when i rebuilt my heater box. Its all sealed up so i would hope that i can just leave it out.
Can i ?????
68 Charger R/T
69 Charger 500

twodko

Hello Paul,

I rebuilt my 69's heater box a few months ago and I did not have anything like that spring in my box. My car is  non A/C though so if your car has A/C maybe it does live in the box somewhere. My curiosity is piqued so let us know what the outcome is. Good luck.

Tom
FLY NAVY/Marine Corps or take the bus!

Hemidog

I've completely rebuilt my 68 A/C box, and I've never seen a spring like that.

gasoline_24

That looks like a steering column spring.

lisiecki1

^ sure does.

any recollection of where you removed it from?
Remember the average response time to a 911 call is over 4 minutes.

The average response time of a 357 magnum is 1400 FPS.

http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,52527.0.html

Hemidog

Paul 500

It just fell out when i started taking the box apart. When i got the car the heated box was with a load of other bits so that spring could have just fell inside.
Thanks for the replys
68 Charger R/T
69 Charger 500

tylerk

Pardon my intrusion, but while you're on the subject...for those who've rebuilt their boxes on their own, about what would it run to rebuild one with a/c, too?  I'm nearing that point and was fixing to get around to asking opinions on it.  As far as I know, it's complete.

Hemidog

Quote from: tylerk on February 25, 2010, 09:33:21 AM
Pardon my intrusion, but while you're on the subject...for those who've rebuilt their boxes on their own, about what would it run to rebuild one with a/c, too?  I'm nearing that point and was fixing to get around to asking opinions on it.  As far as I know, it's complete.

Get yourself one of these kits, if you're talking about a 66-70 charger.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/DMT-Mopar-66-70-B-Body-AC-A-C-Heater-Box-Resto-Kit-Set_W0QQcmdZViewItemQQhashZitem53da6f110bQQitemZ360146997515QQptZMotorsQ5fCarQ5fTruckQ5fPartsQ5fAccessories

ktneifert09

I agree with the other folks - looks like a steering column spring to me.  I just re-built my box with A/C and there was no spring like that.  However, my kid just pulled the steering column apart and there was one there.
For the other guy who asked about money - I bought a re-build kit from Detroit Muscle.  It was $85.  It was great except for one thing.  For the parts made out of what looks like styrofoam (the 1/4 inch thick white parts), be careful what you use to glue them on.  Some glues eat the foam.   :brickwall: Between the kit and some black and metallic silver spray paint, I didn't spend more than $100.  Another tip - take lots of pix and make yourself a teardown instructions sheet (what you did) as you go.  There are a zillion parts, especially fasteners, and you'll forget where they go.  Plus the linkage is pretty tricky and I'd have been clueless without the pictures.  It was actually one of the fun projects on the car because I had no clue how one worked before I did it.  Learned a lot.
Good luck - you can do it!
Plans are useless; planning is indispensible.
Especially with an old car!

gasoline_24

I used Gorilla glue on mine.  It was one of the few products that was durable, but would not melt the styrofoam.

Hemidog

Yep, I learned the hard way too, and almost completely melted away my first piece!  ;)

bull

I found a bunch of dog food in mine. I didn't put it back in either. ;D