News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Snapping noise in the front of my 68 Charger

Started by drodg, July 06, 2009, 08:45:36 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

drodg

I have a 68 Charger R/T that has about 39K on it and most all of the front end etc is original.  I have a snapping noise that sounds like it comes from the right front and sometimes to the center of the car.  I only get it when i brake and come to a stop or when I first take off.  I often get it when I back out of my drive way and I first apply the brake as I am coming to my street.  I can't locate it for the life of me.  I thought it my be the tie rod but the bushings and tie rod ends all look very good.  I have at times thought it might even be coming from the front of the drive shaft.  Anyhow if anyone else has had a similar issue let me know.  Thanks

resq302

I'd check your hub areas and brakes.  Seems to me like the common factor is when you come to a stop.  Restoring on 70 chally vert recently, I came across a broken shoe retainer spring.  The spring that is just above the self adjuster.  Just thinking something like that could be bouncing around inside the drum.
Brian
1969 Dodge Charger (factory 4 speed, H code 383 engine,  AACA Senior winner, 2008 Concours d'Elegance participant, 2009 Concours d'Elegance award winner)
1970 Challenger Convert. factory #'s matching red inter. w/ white body.  318 car built 9/28/69 (AACA Senior winner)
1969 Plymough GTX convertible - original sheet metal, #'s matching drivetrain, T3 Honey Bronze, 1 of 701 produced, 1 of 362 with 440 4 bbl - auto

b5blue

Check your strut rods and bushings. Dried out/worn bushings can shift around on you and drive you nuts looking everywhere else. (they are called "brake reaction struts" in the FSM) A good test is brake kinda hard from 40mph and see if it pulls to one side even though both sides hardware is known to be OK. (I just went through this on my car)

drodg

Thanks guys it does make the noise when you brake and when you just take off from a dead stop.

TylerCharger69

Strut rod bushings.....without a doubt......mine did EXACTLY what you are describing.  A loose strut rod nut on the back of the lower control arm will cause the same results as well.