News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

won't start cold

Started by B5charger, June 19, 2009, 02:43:46 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

B5charger

Hey Guys,
   I can't seem to get my 318 started when it's sat for more than a few days.  It's got a Carter BBD on top.  I can pump the gas a few times and still nothing.  If I look down the carb and manually operate the throttle I can see fuel going in the first couple of pulls then no more fuel comes out.  If I pour some gas down it, she'll start right up and everythings fine.  Once it's hot I can start it up no problem.  Is it not getting enough fuel at first?

lisiecki1

electric choke?  and is the choke working?  when you say you see it squirt a couple times that might be emptying the bowl, and you wont have anymore fuel in the bowl until you try to crank it again and pressurize the fuel system.
Remember the average response time to a 911 call is over 4 minutes.

The average response time of a 357 magnum is 1400 FPS.

http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,52527.0.html

flyinlow

Not ruling out carb or choke problems, but part of the problem is todays gasoline . Blended for fuel injection ,not carbs.

I had a similar problem with a eddy. carb. I filled the carb with a one quart sqeeze bottle. Fires right up without all the cranking.

I am going to put an electric aux. pump back by the gas tank to prime the carb and help on hot days and see if it helps.

Might try a heat dissipator under the carb. helped mine.

B5charger

It's an electric choke.  I was thinking maybe it had something to do with the fuel pump.  Maybe the pump's diaphram has a hole in it and the fuel drains down over time; since I don't have a problem once I've got it running or for about a day later.

NHCharger

72 Charger- Base Model
68 Charger-R/T Clone
69 Charger Daytona clone
79 Lil Red Express - future money pit
88 Ramcharger 4x4- current money pit
55 Dodge Royal 2 door - wife's money pit
2014 RAM 2500HD Diesel

B5charger

Now I'm thinking that the bowl is drying out.
So basically I should pump it about 6-8 times.  Try to start it with my foot off the pedal.  The cranking over of the engine should help prime the fuel line to the carb then pump it again another 6-8 times, before trying to start it again?  Does the cranking over of the engine help get more fuel to the bowl?

lisiecki1

yes, turning the engine over operates the fuel pump and fills the float bowls in the carb.
Remember the average response time to a 911 call is over 4 minutes.

The average response time of a 357 magnum is 1400 FPS.

http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,52527.0.html