News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

AC/heater box question

Started by riggs626, February 10, 2009, 11:02:39 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

riggs626

ok im restoring my ac/heater box for my charger well the heater core had a big leak in it so i know Ill have to get one from year one but my question is since the hillbilly who owned the car before me got rid of the evaporator and they are not available is there any other evaporator that may work that could be tweaked or modified

Chatt69chgr

Several companies will make you a new one if you send in your old one.  Of course, you don't have an old one.  Maybe Classic Auto Air has an old one in house that could serve as a pattern.  Might give them a call.

rudyjrusa

PEP BOYS has them and i have seen numerous ones on ebay.

Chatt69chgr

I'll have to check the Pep Boys connection out.  Would be surprised.  Around here, they kind of got out of the auto parts and more into Harbor Freight type tools and Chinese motorbikes.  This was about the same time they quit carrying good Trico wiper blades and got rid of the nice metric bolt selection and replaced it with crappy blister packs.  Also got rid of brass fittings except for a few in blister packs.  I have not been too pleased with them needless to say.  Maybe Many, Moe, or Jack woke up from the dead and kicked some butt.

4aThrill

what year is your car, they were selling evaporators online at ebay for 71-74 cars I think they were 295, and Heater core you can get that anywhere just depends on the year did you check rockauto online?  :cheers:

70daytonaclone

go to your nearest old car junk yard and score a used one! theres a 70 4 door coronet in a junk yard 8 miles from me that might still have it. but thats on my inventory!

Rolling_Thunder

I believe the 66-70 units were one piece - I believe I have seen them on E-bay for like $300.00   but keep in mind they are made from if i remember correctly aluminum - not copper like the standard heater cores...   that is why most A/C boxes do not leak as often as the heaters...         find a used one and just pressure test it for leaks.. 
1968 Dodge Charger - 6.1L Hemi / 6-speed / 3.55 Sure Grip

2013 Dodge Challenger R/T - 5.7L Hemi / 6-speed / 3.73 Limited Slip

1964 Dodge Polara 500 - 440 / 4-speed / 3.91 Sure Grip

1973 Dodge Challenger Rallye - 340 / A-518 / 3.23 Sure Grip

StockMan

If you haven't found one I have a complete A/C heater box unit that has never been apart.  Let me know, I'll take a look at the condition of this unit.