News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

hard starting 70 383

Started by mjwebb, May 21, 2009, 11:41:17 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

mjwebb

new 383 stock rebuild...starts like a new camry when cold....when warm have to pump the pedal and/or floor it or a combo of both, battery almost wears down at times then it fires up..suggestions? thanks!

charger Downunder

check your engine earth i always run an extra earth.
[/quote]

c00nhunterjoe

what ignition system are you running? could be related.

how does it act on hot start? is is flooding or starving for fuel?

firefighter3931

Sounds like typical vapor lock. You need to isolate cunductive heat from the carb to keep the fuel from boiling. The intake gasket with the heat block off and a carb insulating base gasket work well.  :yesnod:

Ron
68 Charger R/T "Black Pig" Street/Strip bruiser, 70 Charger R/T 440-6bbl Cruiser. Firecore ignition  authorized dealer ; contact me with your needs

mjwebb

thanks for the ideas...when it finally decides to start it starts slowly, like it's taking it's time to work it's way...not sure that's a great description tho

firefighter3931

Quote from: mjwebb on May 22, 2009, 10:47:09 AM
thanks for the ideas...when it finally decides to start it starts slowly, like it's taking it's time to work it's way...not sure that's a great description tho

That sounds right. what is happening is basicly the fuel pump is re-priming/filling the carb because the heat has boiled off the fuel in your carb. To help with hot starts you need to keep the carb cool and prevent the fuel from boiling off when the engine is hot.  :yesnod:

The next time this happens pull the air cleaner and move the throttle to see if any fuel is being discharged into the venturies. If not...you have a fuel boiling/vapor lock issue to address.

Ron
68 Charger R/T "Black Pig" Street/Strip bruiser, 70 Charger R/T 440-6bbl Cruiser. Firecore ignition  authorized dealer ; contact me with your needs

c00nhunterjoe

what type of fuel line do you have going from the pump to the carb? is it contacting the valve cover or intake at any point?

mjwebb

i'll check this stuff out...what a great site this is, thanks