News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

25 years ago my hometown was leveled by an F5 tornado

Started by 694spdRT, June 09, 2009, 11:09:41 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

694spdRT

Yesterday was the 25th anniversary of the F5 tornado that hit Barneveld, WI. I grew up in this town and had moved with my parents to Florida two years earlier. Nearly the entire town was destroyed. We flew back from Florida two days later and spent several weeks helping friends clean up and go through what was left. My parents still owned property in town including a metal shed that my '68 Charger was stored in at the time. Another shed that dad had stored some of original parts to the car in and other stuff was leveled and everything was gone. Until typing this I had never really thought about the Charger surviving an F5 tornado and it is a rather unimportant compared to the people that did not survive. In a town of 600 nine people died and several hundred were injured. My parents new everyone who died and were close friends with several of the families. My grandparents were out playing cards and had left Barneveld, by the time they drove 15 miles home it was on the radio that a tornado had hit. Two of the houses I had lived in earlier were completed destroyed. There are so many stories about tornados that people tell that are unbelievable until you actually see it first hand. 

We still have land on the edge of town and there is still some debris scattered around in the woods if you dig around.

http://www.nbc15.com/home/headlines/47162392.html
1968 Charger 383 auto
1969 Charger R/T 440 4 speed
1970 Charger 500 440 auto
1972 Challenger 318
1976 W200 Club Cab 4x4 400 auto 
1978 Ramcharger 360 auto
2001 Durango SLT 4.7L (daily driver)
2005 Ram 2500 4x4 Big Horn Cummins Diesel 6 speed
2005 Jeep Grand Cherokee Limited 5.7 Hemi

TruckDriver

I remember that night. I grew up in Hartford. I remember waking up cause of the storms and high winds.  So I went down stars to turn on the radio to see if the weather was something to be worried about. As soon as I touched the on switch, a big flash od lightning and crash of thunder, then the power went out. It honestly scared the crap out of me. Well, that woke up my parents too. They came down stars and by then the power came back on. Well, my mom has always been into listening to the police scanner. So she turned it on, and we heard about Barneveld. The storm that produced that tornado, eventually came right over Hartford too, and , to this day, we think a tornado skimmed the town by us too. There was no tornado damage, but you could sure hear it. I still get chills thinks about that night. As it turned out, when the power went out by us, it was the exact same time Barneveld got hit by the tornado.
PETE

My Dad taught me about TIME TRAVEL.
"If you don't straighten up, I'm going to knock you into the middle of next week!" :P

69bronzeT5

Tornadoes have been one thing I've always been afraid of. Ever since I was a little kid and watched Twister, they have freaked me out....more when I was a little kid though. Just a side note, did the Charger survive or?
Feature Editor for Mopar Connection Magazine
http://moparconnectionmagazine.com/

1969 Charger: T5 Copper 383 Automatic
1970 Challenger R/T: FC7 Plum Crazy 440 Automatic
1970 GTO: Black 400 Ram Air III 4-Speed
1971 Charger Super Bee: GY3 Citron Yella 440 4-Speed
1972 Charger: FE5 Red 360 Automatic
1973 Charger Rallye: FY1 Top Banana 440 Automatic
1973 Plymouth Road Runner: FE5 Red 440 Automatic
1973 Plymouth Duster: FC7 Plum Crazy 318 Automatic

694spdRT

Quote from: 69bronzeT5 on June 09, 2009, 12:38:57 PM
Just a side note, did the Charger survive or?

Yes it did and I still have it today.

This is a picture of it a couple years before the tornado. This was near the downtown and everything in the picture was destroyed. I assume the fire truck was lost as well because the fire station received a direct hit.
1968 Charger 383 auto
1972 Challenger 318
1978 Ramcharger 360 auto

694spdRT

Even though I lived one street over from this it is hard to tell with all the damage, but judging from the power poles and grain bin in the distance, I think this is the same street after the tornado hit.
1968 Charger 383 auto
1972 Challenger 318
1978 Ramcharger 360 auto

PocketThunder

Quote from: 694spdRT on June 09, 2009, 02:27:24 PM
Even though I lived one street over from this it is hard to tell with all the damage, but judging from the power poles and grain bin in the distance, I think this is the same street after the tornado hit.

Looks like it.  The small hill in the background can be made out in both pics.   :scope:
"Liberalism is a disease that attacks one's ability to understand logic. Extreme manifestations include the willingness to continue down a path of self destruction, based solely on a delusional belief in a failed ideology."

TruckDriver

I remember the water tower was the only thing that was left standing in the town, and even that was bent. When they took it down, the were finding news papers under the water tower base. And yes, the fire truck was destroyed in the tornado, was well as the whole fire department building.
PETE

"If you don't straighten up, I'm going to knock you into the middle of next week!" :P

Landonsrt

I know how you feel about tornados. I dont have anything as bad as that happen around me. I was born and raised for the first ten years of my life in east texas and went through many bad storms with tornado's. But, this February, my wife and i were sitting watching tv and it started raining real hard, then went completely silent. Next thing we know, there is loud roar coming from outside. I looked at my wife and said what is that? walked to the door and opened it, i then said, "Oh shit, thats a Tornado!" I grabbed a flash light and as soon as it was in my hand, the power just went out! No warning, just gone. We ran to the basement and got underneath one of my big workbenches. Within a minute, it stopped.  In its path it started in the woods, destroyed a really nice two story house and brand new barn. Scattered the house for half a mile. It came towards my house, then hooked left and tore down trees, barns and a 100 year old home and severly damaged at least ten more.

It left a path of at least 200 feet wide and traveled on the ground for 1 1/2 miles before jumping further down the road. That is one of the scariest sounds i have ever heard in my life!!!!

TruckDriver

In 2003, I watch a big assed tornado following the hwy about a quarter mile out my front window at that time, and just skim a old barn. I was living in a 2 story apartment at the time. I just stood there and watched it. I am fasinated by tornados, and would LOVE to be a tornado chaser.  :yesnod:
PETE