News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Need advise

Started by BBKNARF, April 30, 2010, 04:43:36 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

BBKNARF

Finally took the Charger out for a drive for the first time this year, (ran great last year) drove it nice & easy to let everything heat up, so far so good, but under heavy acceleration
it started popping through the exhaust and the odd time it sounded like the carb was popping, I didn't touch a thing during the winter, so what gives  :shruggy:

Frank
68 Charger, slowly in the works, 451 c.i. approx. 535 hp @ the flywheel, so far best time in the 1/4
11.21 @ 119 mph, full exhaust, stock suspension, 4:10s @ 3640 pounds.

mikepmcs

Water in the gas, bad gas, vac leak, timing.
I'd start with new gas, run a tankful through it and report back.  :icon_smile_big:
Life isn't Father Knows Best anymore, it's a kick in the face on a saturday night with a steel toed grip kodiak work boot and a trip to the hospital all bloodied and bashed.....for reconstructive surgery. But, what doesn't kill us, makes us stronger, right?

Musicman

Agreed... Get the old crap out of there and start fresh :yesnod:

BBKNARF

Started with a half tank of fresh gas, I always empty my tank during winter storage, I don't think I have a vacuum leak it idles great, I will check the timing this weekend.
Keep the advise coming.
thanks.
68 Charger, slowly in the works, 451 c.i. approx. 535 hp @ the flywheel, so far best time in the 1/4

mikepmcs

check plug wires, coil wire too. Maybe something got chewed up by vermin during the winter.
Life isn't Father Knows Best anymore, it's a kick in the face on a saturday night with a steel toed grip kodiak work boot and a trip to the hospital all bloodied and bashed.....for reconstructive surgery. But, what doesn't kill us, makes us stronger, right?

BBKNARF

OK I checked the timing it was slightly off, checked carb floats, OK, I bought a set of Firecore 50 plug wires from Ron last year so I decided to put them on, checked a few other wires and every thing looks good, I didn't get a chance to look a my plugs yet because that takes almost an hour to do  :eek2:
So I decided to take it for a drive, well its a lot better  :yesnod: but there is still a slight snap, crackle, pop going through the exhaust when I floor it.  :shruggy:
Will continue later, to tired right now.

greenpigs

I would replace the fuel filters and add some more quality gasoline and drive it.
1969 Charger RT

Living Chevy free

firefighter3931

Check your voltage and make sure the battery is fully charged up. MSD boxes are sensitive to low voltage.  :yesnod:

It wouldn't hurt to install some fresh plugs. Use the NGK BCPR-6ES and gap them at .045  ;)

What fuel pump are you using ? Fuel pressure ok ?

Ron
68 Charger R/T "Black Pig" Street/Strip bruiser, 70 Charger R/T 440-6bbl Cruiser. Firecore ignition  authorized dealer ; contact me with your needs

BBKNARF

Thanks for the advise guys, I still haven't checked the plugs yet too busy painting my daughters bedroom, and this coming Wednesday my wife and I are going to Europe for 18 days. I'm using a red top Optima battery 720-740 cca my battery is located in the truck, I installed new plugs last year I'm using NGK BCP7ES gaped at .045 with Eddie heads with 10.6.1 comp.
The fuel pump I'm using is Aeromotive up to 140 gph, fuel pressure @ 7.2
Thamks.

Frank

BBKNARF

Quote from: greenpigs on May 02, 2010, 08:33:21 AM
I would replace the fuel filters and add some more quality gasoline and drive it.
All filters clean and I always use Sunoco 94 octane.

firefighter3931

Quote from: BBKNARF on May 02, 2010, 10:54:50 AM
Thanks for the advise guys, I still haven't checked the plugs yet too busy painting my daughters bedroom, and this coming Wednesday my wife and I are going to Europe for 18 days. I'm using a red top Optima battery 720-740 cca my battery is located in the truck, I installed new plugs last year I'm using NGK BCP7ES gaped at .045 with Eddie heads with 10.6.1 comp.
The fuel pump I'm using is Aeromotive up to 140 gph, fuel pressure @ 7.2
Thamks.

Frank

Frank, what is the voltage on your battery as measured at the terminals with the engine running ? You want 12.8-13.5v  :yesnod: The battery might need a charge if it's been sitting all winter.  ;)

The 7 series plugs are too cold...you need to put a little heat in the chamber to keep the plugs clean. I bet if you had pulled the plugs before installing the Firecores they would have been dark. The increased spark energy with the Firecores has probably cleaned them up which accounts for the improved drivability....but i still think it would run better with the warmer 6 series NGK.  :Twocents:

Ron
68 Charger R/T "Black Pig" Street/Strip bruiser, 70 Charger R/T 440-6bbl Cruiser. Firecore ignition  authorized dealer ; contact me with your needs

BBKNARF

Hi Ron, I checked the battery voltage this morning its fluctuating between 12.4 - 13.0  I'm sure this is OK, isn't it? If I do need a new battery what do you recommend?
I will also order a set of NGK 6 series plugs. Any ways I don't have much time to play with the car going away for 18 days leaving Wendsday night.
Thanks.

Frank

firefighter3931

Frank, the battery voltage is fine. Let us know how it runs with the new plugs.  ;)

Ron