News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

crane rockers

Started by 70kracken, November 17, 2005, 11:00:09 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

70kracken

i've got the gold race rockers on my 440.  it recently started a small knock which sounds like a lifter for # 6.  not for sure though.  what is the best way to determine where the noise is coming from?  and if that's what it is, how do i adjust the rockers to hopefully stop the knock?
RELEASE THE KRACKEN

doechsle

If your Cam is a hyd. you will need to crank the engine with the valve cover off and use something like the handle on a hammer to push against the rocker on the pushrod side to see if it gets quiet. If it is a solid you can simply bump the motor and check the lash.If you re-adjust the rocker and its gets loose again that may be a sign of possible lifter failure.Make sure the lock nut on the adjuster is tight .

70kracken

thanks man, i'll try it out this weekend and let you know how it turns out.
RELEASE THE KRACKEN

Runner

crane has had a problem with soft adjusters in the past.  so if its losing adjustment if very well could be adjuster screws.  if its a hydrolic cam you could also check the valve adjustment on that cylender by turning the motor over until the exhaust valve starts to open. at that point you can check the intake valve adjustment.  loosen the screw up, then tighten it down until you have zero lash, spin the intake pushrod with your fingers while tightening down the rocker arm. When you feel a slight resistance to the turning of the pushrod, you are at "Zero Lash". then 1/2 to 3/4 more turn  and tighten the jam nut. the turn the motor over until the intake valve goes all the way open and starts to close again, about half way closed stop then adjust the exhaust valve the same way as you did the intake.

if its a solid lifter cam you do the same thing only you set the acual lash that the cam company recomends.

71 roadrunner 452 e heads  11.35@119 mph owned sence 1984
72 panther pink satellite sebring plus 383 727
68 satellite 383 4 speed  13.80 @ 102 mph  my daily driver
69 superbee clone 440    daughters car
72 dodge dart swinger slant six