News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

413 Wedge WIW

Started by mikepmcs, March 29, 2009, 06:27:19 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

mikepmcs

Any ideas?  Motor is complete and running.  Dual Carbs to oil pan.
I guess rarity is the real question...as in desirable.  Anyways, thoughts appreciated.

Thanks

v/r
Mike
Life isn't Father Knows Best anymore, it's a kick in the face on a saturday night with a steel toed grip kodiak work boot and a trip to the hospital all bloodied and bashed.....for reconstructive surgery. But, what doesn't kill us, makes us stronger, right?

firefighter3931

Dual carbs ?  :scratchchin: Mike, is this a Max wedge engine ?  :o

Ron
68 Charger R/T "Black Pig" Street/Strip bruiser, 70 Charger R/T 440-6bbl Cruiser. Firecore ignition  authorized dealer ; contact me with your needs

mikepmcs

Ok, I don't know.  I was hoping you would chime in.  My buddy Mike Collins, who my other buddy bought the drag Duster from last year came up to me the other day and asked if I was interested in a 413 wedge.  He said he would call me when he got more information.  I just might have to call him now cause you have me all excited all of a sudden.  Ron, some education would be appreciated on what to look for as I'm ignorant in recognition.
Thanks
v/r
Mike
Life isn't Father Knows Best anymore, it's a kick in the face on a saturday night with a steel toed grip kodiak work boot and a trip to the hospital all bloodied and bashed.....for reconstructive surgery. But, what doesn't kill us, makes us stronger, right?

firefighter3931

Mike, the early Max Wedge engines came with 2 4bbl crossram intake manifolds. The cylinder heads have BIG intake ports and the head castings end with "286" i believe. They are a high compression engine (11:1) stock. If it's a real MW engine it will be valuable, especially to someone wanting to restore or clone an early MW car. The exhaust manifolds are unique as well....they sweep quite high in the engine compartment.

Do a google on 413 max wedge for some pics and info.  ;)

Ron
68 Charger R/T "Black Pig" Street/Strip bruiser, 70 Charger R/T 440-6bbl Cruiser. Firecore ignition  authorized dealer ; contact me with your needs

mikepmcs

Will do.  Thanks

This looks like the one you described.

mauve66

slight correction, nothing personal

Quote from: firefighter3931 on March 29, 2009, 07:45:06 AM
Mike, the early Max Wedge engines came with 2 4bbl crossram intake manifolds. The cylinder heads have BIG intake ports and the head castings end with "286" i believe. They are a high compression engine (11:1) stock. If it's a real MW engine it will be valuable, especially to someone wanting to restore or clone an early MW car. The exhaust manifolds are unique as well....they sweep quite high in the engine compartment.

Ron
Robert-Las Vegas, NV

NEEDS:
body work
paint - mauve and black
powder coat wheels - mauve and black
total wiring
PW
PDLKS
Tint
trim
engine - 520/540, eddy heads, 6pak
alignment

firefighter3931

Quote from: mauve66 on March 29, 2009, 09:16:19 AM

Ron

Thanks Robert....fixed it.  :2thumbs:

Ron

firefighter3931

Quote from: mikepmcs on March 29, 2009, 07:52:47 AM
Will do.  Thanks

This looks like the one you described.

Yep, that's a "Maxie"  :yesnod:

One other distinguishing feature is the valvecovers....they are held on with only 4 bolts.  :yesnod:

Ron

WingCharger

AN ORIGINAL MAX WEDGE 413!?!? :drool5: :drool5: :drool5: :drool5:
That is a very rare motor. How did you find it? :shruggy:

mikepmcs

Wing,
Jury is still out on the motor and what it actually is.  Read post 3 above.  :2thumbs:

mauve66

Quote from: firefighter3931 on March 29, 2009, 10:15:01 AM
Quote from: mauve66 on March 29, 2009, 09:16:19 AM

Ron

Thanks Robert....fixed it.  :2thumbs:

Ron

i knew from your other posts YOU knew what your talking about but i didn't want him looking for a 2bbl manifold and saying "free?? naw i'm looking for a 2 bbl setup, thanks anyway........" :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl:
Robert-Las Vegas, NV

NEEDS:
body work
paint - mauve and black
powder coat wheels - mauve and black
total wiring
PW
PDLKS
Tint
trim
engine - 520/540, eddy heads, 6pak
alignment

mikepmcs

:lol:

I guess I need to put a scale on how ignorant I am from now on, geesh.  :rofl: I knew exactly what Ron meant.

John_Kunkel

From my personal experience of chasing down way too many faux Max Wedges, some folks think that any 413/426 is a "Max Wedge" and any Mopar part from the '62-'65 era is Max Wedge. The term is way overused.

If it does have 2 X 4 carbs they could be inline like the '59-'62 300's or they could be aftermarket.
Pardon me but my karma just ran over your dogma.

RD

or... not to rain on your parade, it could be just an ordinary 413 that someone put a crossram intake on or a dual-four system and is believing that it is a max wedge.  time will only tell.  cant wait till you find out mike
67 Plymouth Barracuda, 69 Plymouth Barracuda, 73 Charger SE, 75 D100, 80 Sno-Commander

mikepmcs

Me neither.  I'll have to call Mr Collins in the next couple days.  As I told Ron, a lot of people do a lot of BS'ing around here, so I'll believe it when I see it.  If and when I see this motor I will have camera in hand so we can all decide what it is. 
So what's a reguler 413 worth?   

RD

Quote from: mikepmcs on March 30, 2009, 05:38:34 AM
Me neither.  I'll have to call Mr Collins in the next couple days.  As I told Ron, a lot of people do a lot of BS'ing around here, so I'll believe it when I see it.  If and when I see this motor I will have camera in hand so we can all decide what it is. 

not as much as a 440 due to the difficulty in finding piston rings and pistons for that sucker.  they just dont make them ready available anymore.  they are good engines if you find a runner and have to do nothing with it fwiw.
67 Plymouth Barracuda, 69 Plymouth Barracuda, 73 Charger SE, 75 D100, 80 Sno-Commander

ACUDANUT

How do you know it's not a 426 wedge.  What is the date on the block ?
I have a 63/64 426 and was told it was a max wedge....Still not sure.  It know it NOW has a single 4 barrel and hipo exhaust. :shruggy:

firefighter3931

Quote from: RD on March 30, 2009, 07:42:28 PM
Quote from: mikepmcs on March 30, 2009, 05:38:34 AM

not as much as a 440 due to the difficulty in finding piston rings and pistons for that sucker.  they just dont make them ready available anymore.  they are good engines if you find a runner and have to do nothing with it fwiw.

:iagree: The piston selection is non existant for a 4.25 bore so it will need custom pistons if a rebuild is required. The other downside is that the 4.25 bore is less desirable than the larger 440 4.32 cylinder because of valve shrouding issues. The larger bore works better with a BB mopar head casting.

Ron

mikepmcs

I haven't forgotten about this, he's just never called back with information. :shruggy:
Oh well, we'll consider this one dead I guess until further notice.  Sorry for the goose chase fellas, but I learned a little so I guess it's all good.