News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Trash in the tranny pan

Started by Rayzor, May 21, 2009, 12:04:36 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Rayzor

I pulled the pan on my 727 to service it. Dont know if its ever been done before and the car has been sitting awhile. Anyways, the fluid was not what you would call bright red. It was alot darker and kinda smelled. On the bottom of the pan was a film of grey residue. What really freaked me out was there was a small pile of gritty stuff that had small silver metal cuttings and a few flecks of what look like brass. About enough to cover the bottom of a tea spoon. Is this normal for a tranny that has probably never been serviced or am I  staring at the end of the world. :shruggy: 

2nd69charger

If it still works fine, no end of the world.  I would say that would be normal for older unserviced trans

Rayzor

Trans seemed to be fine. it shifted ok and no slipping. Should I adjust the bands and such while I have it torn apart. I drained the converter and such just need to slam the pan back on.

flyinlow

Change the fluid and filter and press on. Some friction material in the bottom of the pan after years is normal . Metal could have been there since the trans broke in decades ago if it has never been changed.

A transmission oil cooler is its best friend.