News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

substitute for GM EOS? [updated 5/4]

Started by joflaig, May 02, 2009, 08:50:34 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

joflaig

I use Valvoline VR1 20w50 in my flat tappet cam 440. Folks have mentioned here one should add a bottle of GM EOS at oil changes, but it's no longer sold. The clsest thing I could eee in concept was Sea Foam, but I'm not sure if that's any good. Anyone have some other recomendations for an additive, or something apropriate?

firefighter3931

ZZDP + or Comp Cams breakin lube will work. The pn for EOS has changed but ti's still available as far as i know....

Ron
68 Charger R/T "Black Pig" Street/Strip bruiser, 70 Charger R/T 440-6bbl Cruiser. Firecore ignition  authorized dealer ; contact me with your needs

joflaig

Quote from: firefighter3931 on May 02, 2009, 09:10:03 PM
ZZDP + or Comp Cams breakin lube will work. The pn for EOS has changed but ti's still available as far as i know....

Ron

Thanks Ron. I've had 0 problems with "your" motor, though one tire went flat over the 6 months of winter storage!

Musicman

I believe LUCAS is producing one now as well... TB Zinc Plus if memory serves :scratchchin:

firefighter3931

John, here's a link for the new EOS part number :

http://www.gmpartsdirect.com/results.cfm?singlepart=1&partnumber=EOS

Glad to hear your engine is running fine....it should last for years with good routine maintainence.  :icon_smile_big:

Ron
68 Charger R/T "Black Pig" Street/Strip bruiser, 70 Charger R/T 440-6bbl Cruiser. Firecore ignition  authorized dealer ; contact me with your needs

joflaig

Quote from: firefighter3931 on May 03, 2009, 07:29:20 AM
John, here's a link for the new EOS part number :

Glad to hear your engine is running fine....it should last for years with good routine maintainence.  :icon_smile_big:

Ron

It's going back to the shop in a week or two for a new steor system, more sound proofing, a tac on the coulumn and a couple of other minor things, should be out of my hands for a month or so. The only really funny thing is the iginition. It all new wiring harnesses, a new MSD box and a new high-pro starter from MOPAR, but when the engine isn't warmed up it takes for or 4 or 5 times to turn over. When the engine is warm, it's stats every time. Anyway, they will look at that.

joflaig

I went to GM parts today. They have EOS again, it was off the market, but is back and has been "re-forumulated". The guy didn't know how exactly. Zinc is still listed as an ingredient.

I searched the internet for comments on this, 1) it sounds like the re-forumlated version may not be satisfactory anymore, and 2) people where saying not to use the entire bottle in the oil change because the filter would get clogged. How much would I use (of this or any similar product)?

Comments?

Runner

:icon_smile_question:

i just called my gm dealer and they want 24 bucks for a bottle of the stuff.  i think im going to start using the comp cams additive at 10 bucks a bottle

71 roadrunner 452 e heads  11.35@119 mph owned sence 1984
72 panther pink satellite sebring plus 383 727
68 satellite 383 4 speed  13.80 @ 102 mph  my daily driver
69 superbee clone 440    daughters car
72 dodge dart swinger slant six

joflaig

Quote from: Runner on May 04, 2009, 07:18:57 PM

i just called my gm dealer and they want 24 bucks for a bottle of the stuff.  i think im going to start using the comp cams additive at 10 bucks a bottle

yup, that's the price alright. I just don't know if the stuff is any good or the amount to use.

firefighter3931

Quote from: joflaig on May 04, 2009, 07:43:47 PM

yup, that's the price alright. I just don't know if the stuff is any good or the amount to use.

Holy Crap....that is outragous ! I bought 24 bottles of the older EOS formulation for $6 a bottle. At that price i would just use the ZZDP + stuff and call it good. Somebody on Moparts is offering it at a group buy price...time to stock up !  :2thumbs:

http://board.moparts.org/ubbthreads/showflat.php?Cat=0&Number=5200051&an=0&page=0&gonew=1#UNREAD

Ron

joflaig

Quote from: firefighter3931 on May 05, 2009, 11:43:05 AM
Quote from: joflaig on May 04, 2009, 07:43:47 PM

Holy Crap....that is outragous ! I bought 24 bottles of the older EOS formulation for $6 a bottle. At that price i would just use the ZZDP + stuff and call it good. Somebody on Moparts is offering it at a group buy price...time to stock up !  :2thumbs:

http://board.moparts.org/ubbthreads/showflat.php?Cat=0&Number=5200051&an=0&page=0&gonew=1#UNREAD

Ron

Can you think of a reason NOT to use the new formulation?

firefighter3931

Quote from: joflaig on May 05, 2009, 12:07:40 PM

Can you think of a reason NOT to use the new formulation?

Yep, the Cost !  :down:

Ron

flyinlow

$24 a bottle X 2 oil changes per year X 20 years  = hyd. roller cam , here I come.   

Runner

well, lets say your using a good oil like vr1.  your paiying around 4.50 a quart. so now your sticking a 24 dollar bottle of eos in also   now your up to 46.50 for oil and additive.  at this point 10 dollar a quart joe gibbs hotrod oil is looking real attractive!!!   im seriously thinking about ordering some comp cams additive from summit at 10 bucks a bottle.

ron, i never expected eos to get that expensive or i would have bought a couple cases. i always bought extra when i bought it but only a few bottles at a time.

71 roadrunner 452 e heads  11.35@119 mph owned sence 1984
72 panther pink satellite sebring plus 383 727
68 satellite 383 4 speed  13.80 @ 102 mph  my daily driver
69 superbee clone 440    daughters car
72 dodge dart swinger slant six

Musicman

Along with the Lucas product TB Zinc Plus which costs about $10 ea., there is also the Howards Cams product Max ZPM which costs about $8 ea., and I'm sure a number of others these days as well. I know the Lucas product can be purchased in bulk quantities for greater savings, and it's probably the same with the others as well. You can have the GM product...