News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

How to get water out of a motor?

Started by miller, May 03, 2009, 09:47:33 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

miller

When the college took out the 318 to put in the 440 they left it outside under a tarp, well the tarp fell off and it rain went into the intake... what steps do i have to do to get the water out?

2005 Harley Davidson 1200 Sportster Custom - Maggie
2012 370Z NISMO - Courtney
1979 Corvette L-82 - Lilly
1969 Dodge Charger R/T Clone - Vanessa

Ghoste

I think if it were mine I'd tear it down.

miller

Tear it down as in take the heads off, or do I actually have to go through the whole motor? I just went through the 440 and well... I dont have the cash to spare and a motor I hope to never use again.

Ghoste

It's your call but for me personally I just wouldn't feel comfortable about having water in it.  I guess when I talk about a tear down I'm meaning fairly extensive.
How much water and how long was it sitting like that?

miller

Ghoste

Maybe you can get away with pulling the top end off and having a look.  I'd dump the oil too and then pour fresh stuff and lots up top too.  :shruggy:

Sublime/Sixpack

At the very least put it on an engine stand, drain the crankcase, remove all the spark plugs, rotate the engine on the stand so any water that might be in the cylinders can drain out, upright engine then squirt a little oil into each cylinder, fill crankcase with fresh oil, rotate engine by hand.

If it were mine at this point (since I have a run-in stand) I'd rig it up so I could start it and let it run enough to get warm then I'd drain the crankcase again and put fresh oil in it. :Twocents:
1970 Sublime R/T, 440 Six Pack, Four speed, Super Track Pak

tan top

got to take the heads off Dude to see whats going on  :yesnod:  then drain the oil & have a look for water ..then assess if you need to take the oil pan off......   
Feel free to post any relevant picture you think we all might like to see in the threads below!

Charger Stuff 
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,86777.0.html
Chargers in the background where you least expect them 
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,97261.0.html
C500 & Daytonas & Superbirds
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,95432.0.html
Interesting pictures & Stuff 
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,109484.925.html
Old Dodge dealer photos wanted
 http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,120850.0.html

375instroke

Is there water on the dipstick?  Maybe drain it just in case to check.  If it's new oil and there's no water in it, just pour it back in.  Next, remove all the plugs, pour alcohol down the carb, then crank.  Then pour motor oil down the carb and crank.  Install plugs and start.  Check the oil for milky stuff and the plugs for fouling.  Change oil and plugs probably at this point unless they are good.  We don't know how much water we're talking about, do we?  Also, are we doing any more damage by not tearing down the motor first?  What's the worst that can happen?

Back N Black

If your not going to use it again, i would not worry too much about it. Drain it, pour oil in the cylinders and store it. If you do plan on using it later down the road rip it apart and rebuild.

miller

Right now the 318 is sitting on a trailer without a carb or really any of the components to have it run immediately, add this to the fact that the college semester ended last week and i don't have an engine stand to work on it and you can see my predicament.

bull

I would make sure you remove the pan before you turn the engine upside-down on a stand so any junk in the pan doesn't run back inside the engine. I'd pull the heads and have a look at the tops of the cylinders too but don't turn it upside down with the heads off or your lifters will fall out.

375instroke

I thought it was a 440 in the car.  So the 318 is wet and the 440 is OK?

miller

Yes the 440 is in the charger... the 318 is sitting outside, and we thought it got wet. When we talked to the instructor at the college he said it was covered up during the rainstorm, so it should still be ok! :2thumbs:

But we are going to put lube everything up so that water wont get into it in the future.

Sublime/Sixpack

Now he tells you. :slap:  Glad it didn't get wet. :yesnod:
1970 Sublime R/T, 440 Six Pack, Four speed, Super Track Pak