News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

318 Engine won't stay running once warm

Started by Charger71, May 02, 2009, 09:07:40 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Charger71

HELP!!!   

My friends engine won't stay running after it gets warm.  It jumps to life at first crank when cold. It runs good until warm.

It is a 318, new Carter BBD Carb, 318 Intake, 1967 Points Distributor, new wires, new fuel pump, timing checked several times, 1973 coil thermal choke(Not hooked up)

It acts like it is starving for fuel once it gets warm.  Sometimes it floods.  (New Carb)

I posted a thread about the carb earlier.

Anyway, please offer advice and ask me questions.   I'd like to help get this engine running right.

Charger71

firefighter3931

It could be vapor lock....how hot is the engine running ?

Ron
68 Charger R/T "Black Pig" Street/Strip bruiser, 70 Charger R/T 440-6bbl Cruiser. Firecore ignition  authorized dealer ; contact me with your needs

Charger71

Coulndn't tell you temp.  (New 180 degree thermostat)

If vapor lock, how can I fix it?

Charger71

Musicman

Have you made any adjustments to the Idle Circuit of the carburetor yet?

firefighter3931

Quote from: Musicman on May 03, 2009, 07:03:23 AM
Have you made any adjustments to the Idle Circuit of the carburetor yet?

Good point....it might need to have the idle speed adjustment bumped up.  :scratchchin:

To help with vapor lock you need to isolate the conductive heat from the manifold to the carb. This is accomplished using a thick carb insulating base gasket. Several vendors carry them.

Ron
68 Charger R/T "Black Pig" Street/Strip bruiser, 70 Charger R/T 440-6bbl Cruiser. Firecore ignition  authorized dealer ; contact me with your needs

Charger71

Thanks for the ideas.

Could a stuck heat riser on the manifold cause a similar condition?   I will have to check valve...
Would an intermediate bushing cause this problem?  (Maybe even lower oil pressure?)

:brickwall: :brickwall:

This one has me flustered.

snyds

check your fuel line to carb had similar problem fuel line was to close to intake fuel was actually bioling. causing vapor locking.