News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Rearend whining?

Started by BBMoparFreak, November 14, 2005, 11:34:59 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

BBMoparFreak

The car I'm looking at buying is a 67 Coronet that has an 8 3/4 3:23 Suregrip.  The owner set up the rearend himself and says that it makes a little bit of a whining noise.  I remember reading awhile back that if you don't do something with the ring and pinion gears that they will whine.  Any people know what's causing this?

I was also looking at a Dart that has a 3:55 sure grip 8 1/4 that the guy set up himself also.  He said it too had a slight whine to it.
Thanks.

Michael

Chryco Psycho

is it new gears or reset old ones ?
if the gears are not meshed properly they whine , so when he set them up he missed either on the pinion depth or the backlash on the ring gear , if the gears are used they should have been measured  before they were disassembled so they could be reset correctly , if they are new there has not been a pattern worn into them yet & they could be set up correctly

Ghoste

Meaning it's normal for new ones to whine?  For how long or are you saying they could wear in so that they whine all the time and it's normal?

BBMoparFreak

Okay thanks Chrycho.  I'm not sure if their used or not, but I'd be willing to guess that they are used.  How easy is this to fix?

Michael

myk

Ugh...You'd have to drop the differential, open it up and then tear into it-I'd rather try my hand at engine rebuilding...
"imgur-embed-pub" lang="en" data-id="a/mB3ii4B"><a href="//imgur.com/a/mB3ii4B"></a></blockquote><script async src="//s.imgur.com/min/embed.js"

BBMoparFreak

Eh, I'm not too terribly worried about it.  As long as I have the proper tools to measure it, it shouldn't bee too bad.
I just need to know how much damage it is doing...Anybody?? :icon_smile_big:

Michael

Chryco Psycho

new gear should not whine either but May be easier to set up correctly If the pattern has not worn in , use a lead compound to check the pattern on the gears you should be able to see where the pattern is not centered on the gear tooth , make sure you check both side of the teeth , power & coast   

tecmopar

If they are new, it depends on what brand they are. Richmond gears are probably the noisiest no matter how good they are set up. If they are used gears then it could be what everyone else has said, good luck.

BBMoparFreak

Okay guys, I'll call the guy and see what's up.  Thanks.

Michael

andy74

get a better stereo,its easier that way!

RT DAVE

Quote from: tecmopar on November 17, 2005, 04:37:28 AM
If they are new, it depends on what brand they are. Richmond gears are probably the noisiest no matter how good they are set up. If they are used gears then it could be what everyone else has said, good luck.

Glad to hear that.  I had some 4.10 richmonds in my charger and I pulled them out and replaced them with the 3.23s because I thought they were set up wrong.  I should have known better than think my mechanic would mess it up.  Oh well, maybe I'll have them checked and through them back in.  Thank I'll notice a difference?   :icon_smile_big:
68 CHARGER RT<br />06 MAGNUM RT<br />02 INTREPID SXT

Ghoste

Must be Richmonds in mine then, it's always had a little bit of a whine.  Could be worse, we could be into Chevelles and drive around with those "Rockcrusher" 4 speeds.  Then we'd all think that gear whining is normal and wouldn't be concerned if we heard a noise that was bad. ;D