News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Bench Bleeding Master Cylinder tips

Started by Corellian Corvette, April 15, 2009, 12:39:40 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Corellian Corvette

I'm trying to bench bleed my master cylinder to test out some combinations on my Charger.

About how many times should I expect I have to depress the cylinder to get the thing bled?

I'm doing it on a vice, and I've pressed that thing probably about 50 times. Slow, steady presses to let the bubbles out. Let it rest for a few seconds, then repeat.

The front bail (for rear brakes) bled quickly. No bubbles anywhere.

The rear bail (for front brakes), is still giving me a little bubble out of the rear-most sight-hole every time I depress. I just can't get it to stop. I get a little bubble there, and occasionally a few tiny bubbles out of the recessed hole right in front of that.

However, I get no bubbles out of the tubes.

Am I chasing my tail? Are you supposed to get bubbles out of the hole?  :brickwall:

mopar_nut_440_6

have had this happen to me before and have just installed them a this point and then bled the brakes on the car after with no adverse affects!
1968 Charger R/T 440 
2004 Dodge Ram 2500 680 HP Cummins with attitude

Back N Black

You can bleed the master on the car.

maxwellwedge

That's how I do it too - Just cut up some old brake lines.

mopar_nut_440_6

They used to come with reman master cylinders a number of years ago. They were a plastic nut with a rubber hose and a couple of clips that held the hoses in position. I have been using the same set for 25 years but I do like the idea of the hard lines though for piece of mind.

Thanks for the picture!
1968 Charger R/T 440 
2004 Dodge Ram 2500 680 HP Cummins with attitude

NHCharger

Just bench bled my new master cylinder last weekend. Yeah I spent some time chasing those small bubbles, after probably 50-75 pushes I said "good enough" installed the master, bled all the lines, took it for a test run. all was good.
72 Charger- Base Model
68 Charger-R/T Clone
69 Charger Daytona clone- current moneypit
79 Lil Red Express - future moneypit
88 Ramcharger 4x4-moneypit in waiting
2014 RAM 2500HD Diesel

1969chargerrtse

Quote from: NHCharger on April 15, 2009, 06:39:04 PM
Just bench bled my new master cylinder last weekend. Yeah I spent some time chasing those small bubbles, after probably 50-75 pushes I said "good enough" installed the master, bled all the lines, took it for a test run. all was good.
Been there done that, good enough works.  :yesnod:  I use a single man bleeder on all 4 myself.  Works fine.
This car was sold many years ago to somebody in Wisconsin. I now am retired and living in Florida.

Corellian Corvette

I was able to get all the bubbles out. Turns out tapping the M/C with a rubber mallet dislodged some air bubbles. I did not want any air in the system. It took about 10 more cycles tapping the M/C to get it worked out.