News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Sticking rear brakes

Started by 375instroke, March 24, 2009, 03:31:25 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

375instroke

Haven't had the car long.  The rear brakes, 11"X3" I think, power drum brakes, were smoking when I got to work.  The were fine, I think, but I just got the car, so I don't know if this is new, or was like this when I got it.  The power part (I hate power brakes by the way) acts slow, like I can lock the brakes up if I want, but under normal use, it feels like I need to apply pressure to get them working, then slowly let up on the force I apply or they will apply to much.  The previously owner said the guy he got the car from installed 11X2-1/2 shoes, and they should be 11X3.  Can't remember if this was the front only, or all wheels.  When I first noticed it at work, I unloaded the adjusters, and they still get hot, but not as much.  The front are cool to the touch, and I can feel the brakes sticking a bit when on a hill, so I don't think that it is that the front are not working and the rear are overworked.  Are the power rods, the one from the pedal to the booster and the booster to the master, adjustable?  Could one of them be too long?  I looked at the rear and couldn't see anything wrong, and the drums came off easily.  I'll look at them again, clean them, and lube the backing plates.  Maybe they put the long shoe in front.  I didn't look for that.  Any suggestions?

Just 6T9 CHGR

11x3 are fronts only and 11x2½ are for the rears for HD applications.

make sure the shoes are installed correctly (Primary/secondary) also make sure the shoes arent contaminated (swelled) with brake fluid or gear oil
Chris' '69 Charger R/T

375instroke

Looked at it just now.  When I was able to get the drums off, the shoes were not retracted.  I opened the bleeder and they popped back instantly.  Perhaps a bad hose.  I'll open the line at the master to see if it is the hose.