News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Chip Foose at the MATS

Started by CB, March 29, 2009, 02:52:25 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

CB

I read some don't like him to much.
To me he is a car 're'-disigner.

Me shaking hands with him at the MATS

1968 Dodge Coronet 500

CB

I did look like I just had to fart  :slap: :eek2: :smilielol:
1968 Dodge Coronet 500

skip68

Quote from: CB on March 29, 2009, 02:53:14 PM
I did look like I just had to fart  :slap: :eek2: :smilielol:

Yea, but you ALWAYS FART, CHRISTIAN!!!!  :eek2: :smilielol: :nana: :rofl:

Mrs.Skip68 ;)
skip68, A.K.A. Chuck \ 68 Charger 440 auto\ 67 Camaro RS (no 440)       FRANKS & BEANS !!!

1FastCharger

Chip Foose is awesome. I know some people here don't like the big wheels & two-tone paint scemes he always uses, but that may be what he likes. He has more tallent in his little finger than I could learn in a lifetime. I definatly would let him "Overhaul" my car.
66 A100 - 68 Charger - 69 Charger

moparstuart

Quote from: 1FastCharger on March 29, 2009, 05:33:59 PM
Chip Foose is awesome. I know some people here don't like the big wheels & two-tone paint scemes he always uses, but that may be what he likes. He has more tallent in his little finger than I could learn in a lifetime. I definatly would let him "Overhaul" my car.
I  dont like all his stuff , but you have to admit he is talented and it's cool he has moved from mostly chevy to doing some mopar stuff .

GO SELL CRAZY SOMEWHERE ELSE WE ARE ALL STOCKED UP HERE

Nacho-RT74

Talented ? yes, I admit and admire him!

but Chip please keep your talent away from Mopars GOD!

There are more in the world than Two tones and big wheels! That's mostly for Ricers.

If you change a little bit the scheeme about just two tones, big wheels, GIANTS STEREOS AND SPEAKERS to work on Mopars will be better, then I'll accept he works on them.

However I can say the first Challenger he made ( green/black with strobe stripes ), was stunning ( except the wheels ). The detail of Dodge Tristar on buckets was a PERFECT touch.

will never be mi kind of taste since fro example I LOVE original clusters working, I don't like EXCESIVELLY MODERN racing buckets and details like that, but to whoever likes is a great Job.

Still my favorite modern "modification" on a Mopar is still the Extreme Lee ( thanks KWS for that jewel, that's a good taste ), and wasn't By Foose.
Venezuelan RT 74 400 4bbl, 727, 8.75 3.23 open. Now stroked with 440 crank and 3.55 SG. Here is the History and how is actually: http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,7603.0/all.html
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,25060.0.html

Ghoste

I guess it just isn't my taste because he doesn't do a thing for me.  I don't even recognize this so called "talent".  He'll take any unique features of a vehicle and strip them off, add giant wheels two tone paint and stand back grinning while people get moist.  I'd prefer he go back to doing Chevy powered hot rods.  :Twocents:

chargerkid01

I got to meet him at world of wheels in pittsburgh this year and he is an extremely nice person and besides the big wheels and some paint schemes I would let the charger go to him with no questions asked as long as it came back white and green!

Magnumcharger

I have two thoughts about Chip....
First, I think he's a heck of a designer, and deserves the accolades for his work.
Second, I think there's a whole lot of designers out there that are as good or better, but haven't yet been propelled into the spotlight to the same degree.

He is extremely fortunate in the fact that his father was there to influence him, and mentor him to some degree. As well, his geographical location has benefitted his career to a great extent, such as being in the hub of the hot rod world, and being proximate to the Pasedena College of Art and design.

I guess to a certain extent I'm jealous of him, as my goal in life was to be doing what he is. However, nobody could tell me where to go to get the kind of education I needed to do that kind of work!! :brickwall:
1968 Plymouth Barracuda Formula S 340 convertible
1968 Dodge Charger R/T 426 Hemi 4 speed
1968 Plymouth Barracuda S/S clone 426 Hemi auto
1969 Dodge Deora pickup clone 318 auto
1971 Dodge Charger R/T 440 auto
1972 Dodge C600 318 4 speed ramp truck
1972 Dodge C800 413 5 speed
1979 Chrysler 300 T-top 360 auto
2001 Dodge RAM Sport Offroad 360 auto
2010 Dodge Challenger R/T 6 speed
2014 RAM Laramie 5.7 Hemi 8 speed

moparstuart

Quote from: Magnumcharger on March 30, 2009, 10:41:41 AM
First, I think he's a heck of a designer, and deserves the accolades for his work.
Second, I think there's a whole lot of designers out there that are as good or better, but haven't yet been propelled into the spotlight to the same degree.

He is extremely fortunate in the fact that his father was there to influence him, and mentor him to some degree. As well, his geographical location has benefitted his career to a great extent, such as being in the hub of the hot rod world, and being proximate to the Pasedena College of Art and design.

I guess to a certain extent I'm jealous of him, as my goal in life was to be doing what he is. However, nobody could tell me where to go to get the kind of education I needed to do that kind of work!! :brickwall:
I can tell you where to go      :smilielol: :smilielol: :smilielol: :smilielol: :D
GO SELL CRAZY SOMEWHERE ELSE WE ARE ALL STOCKED UP HERE

Magnumcharger

Quote from: moparstuart on March 30, 2009, 10:50:09 AM

I can tell you where to go      :smilielol: :smilielol: :smilielol: :smilielol: :D

"to get the kind of education I needed to do that kind of work!!"

ds440

I guess to a certain extent I'm jealous of him, as my goal in life was to be doing what he is. However, nobody could tell me where to go to get the kind of education I needed to do that kind of work!!

Well, that's a tricky question because there is no "right" answer.  As you know Chip graduated from Art Center, but there are other schools that compete with Art Center.  Auburn University, Rochester Institute of Technology, the University of Cincinnati (my alma mater), and Syracuse University all have outstanding Industrial Design programs.  If I remember correctly you are Canadian, yes?  I'm sure there are schools that are just as good in Canada.

As an industrial designer, I have mixed feelings about Foose.  I think that at his core, his has tremendous abilities, education, and experience.  However, I think the show "Overhaulin" has caused some to have a slanted view of his skills.  That show is a bit of a joke in that he, like previously stated, isn't "designing" a car, but rather he is 're-decorating' one.  Slapping a goofy paint-job on a car isn't 'designing' anything.

But I think Chip knows that.  He's just making a television show.

On the other hand, projects like "Hemisphere" are, truly, automotive design.  Correct me if I'm wrong, but that is a designed-from-scratch car is it not?  I think if you separate Overhaulin from his the rest of his work, you'll see he really does deserve the reputation he has gathered.  He caters to a specific market (and it's not the restoration crowd).  If his market responds positively to his designs, then by definition he is a successful designer.  Design is completely subjective. 

Well, since my "forced vacation" I have been actively pursuing freelance opportunities in automotive design, or "re-design", or "hot-rod design" or whatever.  I've been sending out portfolios of my renderings (some DC.com and some not) to various builders, shops, teams, etc.  I would never, ever compare myself to Chip Foose in either experience or ability.  However I can sketch, I can do marker renderings, I can do interiors, Photoshop, and can design everything and anything with my transferable skill-set if I was just given a chance.

I haven't received one response. :icon_smile_blackeye:

The reality, and what separates Chip Foose from most, is that is not only a quality designer, but a quality builder as well.  Sure he has a talented team of people around him.  But he also has his hands in the build as well.  My experience has been that the builders I've encountered ALL think that they, too, are designers.  But love him or hate him, I think Foose is one of the few that could truly be considered both.

:Twocents:

1968 Charger R/T, 440 auto.

69bronzeT5

Quote from: ds440 on March 30, 2009, 05:59:24 PM
I've been sending out portfolios of my renderings (some DC.com and some not) to various builders, shops, teams, etc. 

Which ones? :popcrn:
Feature Editor for Mopar Connection Magazine
http://moparconnectionmagazine.com/

1969 Charger: T5 Copper 383 Automatic
1970 Challenger R/T: FC7 Plum Crazy 440 Automatic
1970 GTO: Black 400 Ram Air III 4-Speed
1971 Charger Super Bee: GY3 Citron Yella 440 4-Speed
1972 Charger: FE5 Red 360 Automatic
1973 Charger Rallye: FY1 Top Banana 440 Automatic
1973 Plymouth Road Runner: FE5 Red 440 Automatic
1973 Plymouth Duster: FC7 Plum Crazy 318 Automatic

mikepmcs

DS
Have you contacted Chip Foose?  Maybe he can help you and propel you to the next level.
Life isn't Father Knows Best anymore, it's a kick in the face on a saturday night with a steel toed grip kodiak work boot and a trip to the hospital all bloodied and bashed.....for reconstructive surgery. But, what doesn't kill us, makes us stronger, right?

Magnumcharger

Quote from: ds440 on March 30, 2009, 05:59:24 PM

I guess to a certain extent I'm jealous of him, as my goal in life was to be doing what he is. However, nobody could tell me where to go to get the kind of education I needed to do that kind of work!!

Well, that's a tricky question because there is no "right" answer.  As you know Chip graduated from Art Center, but there are other schools that compete with Art Center.  Auburn University, Rochester Institute of Technology, the University of Cincinnati (my alma mater), and Syracuse University all have outstanding Industrial Design programs.  If I remember correctly you are Canadian, yes?  I'm sure there are schools that are just as good in Canada.

As an industrial designer, I have mixed feelings about Foose.  I think that at his core, his has tremendous abilities, education, and experience.  However, I think the show "Overhaulin" has caused some to have a slanted view of his skills.  That show is a bit of a joke in that he, like previously stated, isn't "designing" a car, but rather he is 're-decorating' one.  Slapping a goofy paint-job on a car isn't 'designing' anything.

But I think Chip knows that.  He's just making a television show.

On the other hand, projects like "Hemisphere" are, truly, automotive design.  Correct me if I'm wrong, but that is a designed-from-scratch car is it not?  I think if you separate Overhaulin from his the rest of his work, you'll see he really does deserve the reputation he has gathered.  He caters to a specific market (and it's not the restoration crowd).  If his market responds positively to his designs, then by definition he is a successful designer.  Design is completely subjective. 

Well, since my "forced vacation" I have been actively pursuing freelance opportunities in automotive design, or "re-design", or "hot-rod design" or whatever.  I've been sending out portfolios of my renderings (some DC.com and some not) to various builders, shops, teams, etc.  I would never, ever compare myself to Chip Foose in either experience or ability.  However I can sketch, I can do marker renderings, I can do interiors, Photoshop, and can design everything and anything with my transferable skill-set if I was just given a chance.

I haven't received one response. :icon_smile_blackeye:

The reality, and what separates Chip Foose from most, is that is not only a quality designer, but a quality builder as well.  Sure he has a talented team of people around him.  But he also has his hands in the build as well.  My experience has been that the builders I've encountered ALL think that they, too, are designers.  But love him or hate him, I think Foose is one of the few that could truly be considered both.

:Twocents:

One thing that has become abundantly clear to me over the course of my lifetime is that there is a time and place for everything.
When I was 16, and sketching cars every night, that would have been the right time to have been introduced to a school of design. Now, thirty years later, I'm entrenched in my life, and it's no time to change things. Believe me when I say, if the was a school of design in Canada back in 1979, I would have been enrolled in it!
Unfortunately for me, that wasn't the case.

You, on the other hand, have your whole life ahead of you, and I wish you well in the pursuit of your goals!

ds440

Quote from: 69bronzeT5 on March 30, 2009, 06:04:15 PM

Which renderings? A few you've seen...a few you haven't.  Or which builders?  Mostly custom 'hot-rod' builders and a few names you'd know.

Quote from: mikepmcs on March 30, 2009, 06:06:34 PM
DS
Have you contacted Chip Foose?  Maybe he can help you and propel you to the next level.

A good thought and something I've considered.  However, I'm sure he's inundated with letter/portfolios of wannabes such as myself.  I'd like to just talk with him or Strope or ? to pick his brain.  Plus, I have something in the works...but it's kinda 'pie-in-the-sky' right now.  I'm just not receiving much interest.  I'm planning on changing my approach and working on tailoring my portfolio to specific segments....we'll see how that works.  But in the meantime, I'm trying to find a 'real' job. :eek2:

Quote from: Magnumcharger link=topic=55365.msg615913#msg615913 date=1238456085

You, on the other hand, have your whole life ahead of you, and I wish you well in the pursuit of your goals!
/quote]

Never say never.  If it's something you really enjoy...you don't *need* any degree.  Your automotive knowledge and experience alone will go farther than any degree.  Trust me.  Plus, you wanna know the secret?  Sketch.  Sketch.  Sketch.  Draw cars until your fingers bleed.  I have closets full of designs/sketches/etc.

And thanks for the well wishes - it's appreciated.  I need all the help I can get. :coolgleamA:
1968 Charger R/T, 440 auto.

mauve66

1st.  EVERYONE IS ENTITLED TO THEIR OPINION, HERE"S MINE

Foose does more than "slap a goofy paint scheme on a car"
Foose does "design" the whole car, he changes the paint, metal work, interior, suspension, driveline, even the silhouette of the car
"decorating" it would be driving through a  pep boys/auto zone with a big magnet attached to it.

its the little things that you have to look for to notice

things like using a different bumper, flipping it upside down and shortening it and unless you know every inch of a car you wouldn't know that it is there

things like 1 of the ford roadsters he did where the headlight trim and the inside of the headlight itself were custom built to follow the "V8" over the top of each other theme that is a trademark with ford, standing back and just looking at the whole car you don't see those details but when you look at each section on its own they come out.

chopping the roof off a T-bird to make it a roadster but it looked like a factory car

Foose said one day that doing Mopars were the hardest to do because "they are a rabid group when it comes to messing with their cars", he's right, from everything i have seen Mopar people in general are the least accepting of his work on a stock car, we never see work on '34 Plymouth sedans cause there aren't very many of them around.

if all he did was build a concours restoration of a Mopar on OverHaulin then he should be working for a restoration house and i wouldn't watch it, theres 500 "perfect" cudas out there, i've seen them WAAAAY too much, i'm looking for ides on how to make my car stand out from the crowd, not be 1 of twenty at a show with the same options and color scheme.

no, i don't agree with all the wheel choices he uses but there is a theme to them, if he put the stock wheels/caps back on it wouldn't work with the rest of the car.  It broke my heart when they did that 1st gen car for that kid here  in vegas at SEMA.  They used every one of my ideas that i had also submitted except for the shaker hood, motor choice and wheels.  but its still an incredible job making look that good

if you want Foose to do a stock mopar then you'll have to send it to his shop and pay the freight on the whole thing

again, this is my  :Twocents:
Robert-Las Vegas, NV

NEEDS:
body work
paint - mauve and black
powder coat wheels - mauve and black
total wiring
PW
PDLKS
Tint
trim
engine - 520/540, eddy heads, 6pak
alignment

Magnumcharger

Actually, ds, I absolutely agree with you. It's not too late...for some things.
My plan to be an automotive designer in my days of youth has evolved. I still sketch cars on a regular basis, and have several containers filled to the brim with my renderings.
I also paint, photoshop and photograph cars on a regular basis.
My new plan is to design and build my own cars, some Hot Rods, some exotics.
I already have the fabrication experience, so coupling that with my passion for design, my retirement years are going to be a whole lot of fun!
There are several very good fabricators on this website.....I hope to emulate them.

Brock Samson

Foose does an elephant..   
                                 :lol:

1FastCharger

I have watch both Overhaulin & American Hot Rod & I see a definate differecne between Foose and Chris on AHR. Foose's drawing look nearly like a real car with perfect proportions. Chris', from AHR, don't look near as good.

I saw an episode of OH...forgot which car it was...where the car was already painted and Foose decided to change the hood. He got out a die grinder and cut a hole freehand. I think it was for a shaker. That takes some serious skills to cut on a freshly painted hood without messing it up.
66 A100 - 68 Charger - 69 Charger

69bronzeT5

Quote from: ds440 on March 30, 2009, 07:01:42 PM
Quote from: 69bronzeT5 on March 30, 2009, 06:04:15 PM

Which renderings? A few you've seen...a few you haven't.  Or which builders?  Mostly custom 'hot-rod' builders and a few names you'd know.

Which renderings?  :popcrn:
Feature Editor for Mopar Connection Magazine
http://moparconnectionmagazine.com/

1969 Charger: T5 Copper 383 Automatic
1970 Challenger R/T: FC7 Plum Crazy 440 Automatic
1970 GTO: Black 400 Ram Air III 4-Speed
1971 Charger Super Bee: GY3 Citron Yella 440 4-Speed
1972 Charger: FE5 Red 360 Automatic
1973 Charger Rallye: FY1 Top Banana 440 Automatic
1973 Plymouth Road Runner: FE5 Red 440 Automatic
1973 Plymouth Duster: FC7 Plum Crazy 318 Automatic