News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

new steering box, no work

Started by AZMoparboy, April 26, 2009, 09:33:13 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

AZMoparboy

Hi Guys, I have a 73 charger that is coming together and has a new steering box that has been sitting in the car about 6 months. The steering pump was a good pump that came with the running engine that I've installed in the car. Is the steering box in need of bleeding the air out of it, could the valve body on the gear box need centering. There is nothing happining with the engine running, no power steering at all left or right.

Hope One of you Guys can help,
Steve

Back N Black

So, the wheels are turning left and right with no power assist? Is the pump making a howling noise when turning? The steering box should be at center before you hook up your steering linkage and column coupler.

AZMoparboy

Hi Guys,

OK, so I never said I was good at this car thing. Long story short, the power steering pump takes almost a quart of steering fluid. I put the car on jackstands, engine not running, turned wheels back and forth, filled the pump 4 times. I just didn't know that it would take so much fluid, but all is good now :icon_smile_big: I am still laughing about it.

Thanks again,
Steve Porter