News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Dead 69 charger

Started by SWE, March 15, 2009, 05:25:04 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

SWE

Hi

I drove my charger the other day, and today nothing hapens when i start it not even a klick. I have put in a new battery and it did not help
Has anybody had these problems ???

could it be voltage regulator or the starter relay? is there any fuses

Thanks in advance

mikepmcs

Check the battery cables themselves.  I bet your ground is loose or it has corrosion somewhere.  First thing I would do is take both battery cables off, clean them, make sure they are in good shape and install them again.
Next, check your wire to the car(ground to block and pos to starter but disconnect battery first) Starter wiring could be loose as well.  Also solenoid might have went bad I guess. Keep it simple cause 99% of the time it will cost you nothing but time to fix this particular issue.
Good luck.

Mike
Life isn't Father Knows Best anymore, it's a kick in the face on a saturday night with a steel toed grip kodiak work boot and a trip to the hospital all bloodied and bashed.....for reconstructive surgery. But, what doesn't kill us, makes us stronger, right?

SWE

Thanks Mike

I i will need to check that, the problem is that im in sweden and my car is in Virginia, mu uncle was suposed to bring it to the shop to make some
repair so that when i come for a visit on friday i could use it, and now he cant bring it to the shop.

I heard the starter relay can cause a lot of problems, but just like you said nothing expensive just time

mikepmcs

Ask your uncle to check the battery cables for you, I'm almost sure that's it.

Quick story. Many years ago, I drove a 1969 Roadrunner from Memphis Tennessee to Iowa(long drive)  Parked it and an hour later went to start it and nothing, I mean nothing at all. Pulled the negative cable off, cleaned it, put it on nice and tight and the car fired right up.

Hope you have a safe trip.

Mike
Life isn't Father Knows Best anymore, it's a kick in the face on a saturday night with a steel toed grip kodiak work boot and a trip to the hospital all bloodied and bashed.....for reconstructive surgery. But, what doesn't kill us, makes us stronger, right?

SWE

Thanks a lot Mike i will ask him to do that. Or i will do it when i come there.

captnsim

You can also turn the headlights on and try to start it. If the lights dim or go out in the crank position you have a bad connection at the battery. Same applies if your headlights fail to come on at all when you turn them on. If the lights stay bright while trying to crank the engine then you need to do some voltage tests on various components. At that point I'd start with the starter solenoid S terminal and the ignition switch.

Just 6T9 CHGR

Check the connections at the ignition switch in the dash as well...
Chris' '69 Charger R/T

Charger1973

Do 69s have a neutral safety switch?  My 73 did the same thing to me the first time I drove it.  Turned out it just wasn't all the way in park, I ran it through the gears and firmly back into park and then it fired right up. 

SWE

Thanks alot everybody!!!

mikepmcs

Quote from: Charger1973 on March 16, 2009, 01:32:53 AM
Do 69s have a neutral safety switch?  My 73 did the same thing to me the first time I drove it.  Turned out it just wasn't all the way in park, I ran it through the gears and firmly back into park and then it fired right up. 

Yes, I forgot about that one!!!! Try that as one of the first things as well.  Good call Charger1973. :2thumbs: :2thumbs: :2thumbs:

SWE

Thanks guys for all the help
It was the starter relay, just put a screwdriver between the pins and it started right up!