News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

kickdown ljnkage

Started by badass, September 15, 2008, 09:19:02 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

badass

I Got a raised throttle bracket for my RPM manifold 440 and my old passing gear linkage is diffrent it was off of a 71 383 with power brakes the one with the hole for the vac. hose.                   Got any ideas with out buying new kickdown of the other style,Im open for options Thanks.
mopars best **** the rest

GreenMachine

The aftermarket brackets for the Edelbrock RPM are for the 3 piece design (has 2 bellcranks). I think the type you are referring to with the hole are the 2 piece design (has one big rod connecting the trans lever to the intake bracket). If that is correct, it won't work. I think (???) the 2 piece design only works on the 73-74 Chargers, earlier Chargers the rod would hit the firewall. I would search Ebay or the salvage yards for the 3 piece design and replace the intake bracket with the Eddy RPM bracket.  :Twocents:
If it ain't broke, fix it 'till it is.

badass

I think you know my problem ,ok thank you yep I got two piece and Ill look for three piece maybe trade two piece It is cleaned up real niece and complete.

firefighter3931

Look at a cable kickdown as opposed to the stock style....less headaches.  ;)

Ron
68 Charger R/T "Black Pig" Street/Strip bruiser, 70 Charger R/T 440-6bbl Cruiser. Firecore ignition  authorized dealer ; contact me with your needs

Bobs69

Have you used the cable kickdown?  I just found it the other night on the web but can't remember where!  I do know that I found the kickdown linkages for my 69 440 in year one I think, could have been summit.  $411.00 couldn't believe it!  That's when I was starting to think I may have had an issue with them..................but I don't!

John_Kunkel

The Lokar cable setup is popular and cheap but if you don't thoroughly understand the principle of operation they seldom work right. Even those who claim to have them and "no problems" probably have problems but just don't know it.

The Bouchillon cable setup is more expensive but is engineered for Mopars, no gueswork.

http://www.bouchillonperformance.com/BPEtkdc.asp
Pardon me but my karma just ran over your dogma.

Rolling_Thunder

Quote from: John_Kunkel on October 04, 2008, 06:45:09 PM

The Lokar cable setup is popular and cheap but if you don't thoroughly understand the principle of operation they seldom work right. Even those who claim to have them and "no problems" probably have problems but just don't know it.

The Bouchillon cable setup is more expensive but is engineered for Mopars, no gueswork.

Still - Every Bouchillon kit I've ever installed needed something modified or changed for it to work correctly...   I'm a firm believer in stock stuff
1968 Dodge Charger - 6.1L Hemi / 6-speed / 3.55 Sure Grip

2013 Dodge Challenger R/T - 5.7L Hemi / 6-speed / 3.73 Limited Slip

1964 Dodge Polara 500 - 440 / 4-speed / 3.91 Sure Grip

1973 Dodge Challenger Rallye - 340 / A-518 / 3.23 Sure Grip

BlueSS454

Quote from: Bobs69 on October 03, 2008, 09:24:34 PM
Have you used the cable kickdown?  I just found it the other night on the web but can't remember where!  I do know that I found the kickdown linkages for my 69 440 in year one I think, could have been summit.  $411.00 couldn't believe it!  That's when I was starting to think I may have had an issue with them..................but I don't!

Lokar Makes them.  They are about $65.  I put one on a Cuda last week.  Best thing ever  :2thumbs:  Very easy to install and very clean install.  You need to use there bracket also that bolts on the back of the carb.  I'm going to put on in my Charger when I get time to do it.  Eliminates all that mechanical linkage.
Tom Rightler

terrible one

Hmm so the mechanical linkage setup can be used as long as you switch intake brackets? That's interesting . . .

I still don't know where to go on this topic for my car . . . as with most other areas of the "restoration" I'm starting with nothing at all so I'm free to go any route. The cable setup definitely would be easier and cheaper to install in the long run I would think but I don't want to never have it working when the stock setup would kind of just be plug and play in my thinking . . . but I don't know what I'm doing either.

ipstrategies

I am still looking for the clip from rod on transmission side. Mine is a one piece rod.

http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,50786.msg568163.html#msg568163
1971 Dodge Charger SE 383 Magnum
1999 Dodge Durango 5.9
1995 Chrysler LHS

BlueSS454

If you want, I'll take a couple pics of the kickdown cable I put on the Cuda.  I also put the Lokar throttle cable on it because the intake on the engine would not allow the stock bracket to bolt up correctly.  It really is a nice setup, works very well together, and very easy to install. Not to mention they are readily available.  The entire setup cost $125 and about 45 minutes to install.
Tom Rightler

terrible one

Quote from: BlueSS454 on January 13, 2009, 12:48:47 AM
If you want, I'll take a couple pics of the kickdown cable I put on the Cuda.  I also put the Lokar throttle cable on it because the intake on the engine would not allow the stock bracket to bolt up correctly.  It really is a nice setup, works very well together, and very easy to install. Not to mention they are readily available.  The entire setup cost $125 and about 45 minutes to install.

Hey man,

Not sure if you were talking to me, but I would love to check out the setups! I was planning on going with Lokar for the throttle cable (not even sure where to start for a bracket . . . performer RPM?) but yes I'd love to check that out. $125 to take care of throttle and kickdown sounds good to me!

Thanks,

Jackson

BlueSS454

Tom Rightler

squeakfinder

One more vote for the lokar setup.

Still looking for 15x7 Appliance slotted mags.....

4aThrill

Quote from: John_Kunkel on October 04, 2008, 06:45:09 PM

Bouchillon here too  :yesnod:

badass

I see Mancini has one out now any body know anything about it ?

Ghoste

When I bought mine from Mancini it was a Lokar unit repackaged but with much better instructions added than Lokar provides.  I don't know if they still use the Lokar one or have gone to Bouchillon though as it was a few years ago now.  I will add that I must have lucked out on the lever geometry situation because mine has worked fantastically.

vancamp

I just ordered a 3 piece six pack set up from A & A its a bit on the pricey side at $350 but that have 4 bbl versions as well heres a link to there site.

http://www.aandatrans.com/Products/440-Six-Pack-3-Piece-Kickdown-Linkage-with-Throttle-Cable-Bracket__4406B3PWB.aspx