News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

THEFT PREVENTION TIPS

Started by Ghoste, June 06, 2009, 11:40:47 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Todd Wilson

One of the biggest things you can do at your house to protect is to secure your keys to vehicles.   Extra sets in the office desk drawer   or special sets of keys hanging on a seperate hook for something.   They break into your house to rip you off and see the keys and decide to take the classic car also!

I have heard of people having a lock box of some kind to keep that stuff in. Like the little boxes in hotel rooms you can put your stuff in and then punch in a code to lock it.

Todd

Todd Wilson

We had a guy here in Kansas get his 68 Charger ripped off a few years ago. He pulled into his place of business One evening. Just stopping by. Ran in to grab something. Was inside for 5 minutes and came out and his Charger was gone. Didnt leave it running either.   Called the cops and they come out and did the paper work deal and that was basically the end of it. He had no cooperation from them. They didnt really seem concerned. Their response was take it up with your insurance. They didnt put out a radio notice that a bright orange 68 Charger was just ripped off be on the look out for it. It simply was an automobile that was ripped off. Same as the other 20 Honda's and Toyotas that got ripped that day.That was the end of it. That car would have stuck out bad in todays traffic and chances are a cop saw the car only minutes after it had been ripped off.

He printed up flyers of his car. Sent them to all law enforement centers in about every town in a 4-5 state area. He took out a big ad in the newspaper.  Many days later a guy was delivering newspapers on a driving route in the middle of the night and see the 68 sitting on the side of the road. Remembered the newspaper ad a few days before and called the cops. It had a bad gas gauge and the thieves had run out of gas. He got the car back.

Todd

1BAD68

Thats why a loud alarm is about all you can do.
Thieves want to be discreet and unnoticed, an alarm wont stop every theif but most of them will run when the thing is going off.
But it needs to be a different noise, how many times do you hear a car alarm go off and dont even bother to look out your window?
Something like "HELP CALL 911!!" in a loud shrilly womans voice over and over

Green71R/T

As a tow truck driver one thing that really slows me down is to crank the wheel all the way to one side and lock it with a club or the steering lock.

FLG

How about getting those posts that come up from the ground? Im sure a pair of those behind the charger when its in the garage should be a big enough deterrent.

mikesbbody

Quote from: jb666 on June 07, 2009, 05:28:20 PM
My garage has motion sensors that are wired into my house alarm.. It'll notify me if anything moves in there.

I also have a camera system pointing (and recording motion) to my driveway and the face of the garage.

If those measures fail and someone still gets in they'd best pray they are faster than my .45 can fire, cause they aren't making it out of my driveway.

:cheers: :cheers:

Sometimes the like's of a .45 are the only thing  proffesional scumbags theives understand  if their dumb enough to risk getting shot-killed then I dont know what will stop them.

Ghoste

Quote from: Green71R/T on June 07, 2009, 06:25:28 PM
As a tow truck driver one thing that really slows me down is to crank the wheel all the way to one side and lock it with a club or the steering lock.

That's because you aren't a thief.  :lol:  I don't if it's true but i have heard that some thieves take vehicles with the club installed on purpose just for bragging rights.  A pair of bolt cutters to the steering wheel and the club is useless.  But that cold be urban myth for all I know. :shruggy:

aussiemuscle

Seen it on TV, those wheel locking clubs last about 3 seconds to a determined thief. still everything you can do to make it harder the better.

my brother had his charger stolen, but they ran out of gas too. they couldnt' scam the money out of their mother and she called it in. :popcrn:

Green71R/T

Security is about layers. The more obsticles you put in front of the thief ,the longer it will take him to get your car.It takes me two to three times longer to load a car with the wheels cranked to one side than with them straight.