News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

PG Classic Woodgrain Steering Wheel:

Started by Captain D, January 20, 2009, 12:39:53 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Captain D

Hey guys,

I did a quick search on PG Classic's new woodgrain steering wheel here at the site to see if there is anything new. Nothing much came up, so I thought that I would post to see if anyone here has purchased one, how well do you like it, how well does it fit, any complaints, etc? Also, any problems with fitting an original horn pad onto this repro wheel?

Thank you for any feedback on this particular item!
Aaron

- I was thinking of going for one. Also, if anyone happens to have an original horn pad in "really" good shape (no scratches, blemishes, etc.) I'd be interested in seeing what you may have there. I've seen repro horn pads out there, but to be honest, I'm weary about purchasing repros' seeing how some repro items don't really hold vinyl dyes (even SEM's products) very well. I've seen some on *bay, but I just thought that I would post along with my question. Thanks again!

Chatt69chgr

I got the woodgrain steering wheel and the horn button adapter from Peter.  Appear to be well made.  I don't have an original to compare to however.  The color of the wood part may be a little darker than the originals.  Peter doesn't have the horn button yet.  Says he may have it in 2 or 3 months.  I ordered the horn button from Plumbeeper.  Had a problem with the first one he sent.  Called him.  He was on it instantly.  Sent me one of the new batch he just got in along with a shipping label to send the first one back.  It's black.  New one fits like a glove.  I have not tried to install it onto the column yet.  I didn't think I would ever see the woodgrain wheel repoped.  If you want concours, then you should probably order from one of the guys that restores the originals.  But if you want one that looks good and will get the job done, then I think this one will be just fine.  The wheel was $395, the horn button adapter was something like $80 and the horn button was $75.  The plastic mopar symbol that goes in the middle of the horn button will have to be sourced elsewhere since neither of these vendors has this.  I have seen them on EBAY for $25 in the past.

Recharger

How is the finish on the center spokes of that new wheel?  I just saw one on ebay, and the finish looks polished, as opposed to the matte finish of the originals.  Is that the case, or is it just the photo playing tricks?  :scratchchin:

Chatt69chgr

Charger-Bodie

For what its worth, I think Mike Ross at B/E&A Dulls his down to make them look more like the originals.
68 Charger R/t white with black v/t and red tailstripe. 440 4 speed ,black interior
68 383 auto with a/c and power windows. Now 440 4 speed jj1 gold black interior .
My Charger is a hybrid car, it burns gas and rubber............

plumbeeper

The spokes on them are a little shiney because they're made from Stainless Steel. The originals were done in a dull or satin chrome over carbon steel which would rust or bubble if it got too much moisture on it. The new ones made out of SS will not rust, but will not have the exact finish as the originals. You could dull them down with a Scotch pad or maybe about 600 grit sandpaper, but you will have somewhat of a scratched look. Still, better than rusty spokes though.

We have all of the parts to make it complete. New horn switches, horn pads, horn pad retainers for the 69 and 70 models. I'm currently out of the Dodge emblems, but there is a guy in MCG selling NOS ones for $50. I do have new Road runner emblems aand a couple of Plymouth emblems.

The new wheels can be refinished to have the original woodgrain pattern, texture and color if you really need that concourse look.

Anytime you consider purchasing from PG, it's a good idea to run it through Mike Ross at www.beaparts.com before you do. He's in the USA and has the best customer service of anyone I know. He carries all of the PG stuff, most of which is in stock at his new shop.

Dave
812-593-4328
plumbeeper@yahoo.com

http://www.woodgrainwheels.com
CLICK ABOVE FOR THE BEST MOPAR WOODGRAIN STEERING WHEEL RESTORATIONS

Chatt69chgr

You can take what Dave says to the bank.  I've dealt with him and I highly recommend him.

resq302

Quote from: Chatt69chgr on January 24, 2009, 10:57:26 PM
You can take what Dave says to the bank.  I've dealt with him and I highly recommend him.

Same here!  Very very valuable resource for our hobby and a wealth of info too!
Brian
1969 Dodge Charger (factory 4 speed, H code 383 engine,  AACA Senior winner, 2008 Concours d'Elegance participant, 2009 Concours d'Elegance award winner)
1970 Challenger Convert. factory #'s matching red inter. w/ white body.  318 car built 9/28/69 (AACA Senior winner)
1969 Plymough GTX convertible - original sheet metal, #'s matching drivetrain, T3 Honey Bronze, 1 of 701 produced, 1 of 362 with 440 4 bbl - auto

Ghoste

I was at a swap meet on the weekend and saw a few "restored" woodgrain wheels that had the spokes very bright and I definitely like the factory original look better.  If you rough the repop ones up a bit and give them a little time I suppose they will soon enough begin to have that matte look to them.

Captain D

I recently went ahead and purchased the PG Classic woodgrain steering wheel. Although it had two smudges on the chrome spokes (looked a lot like fingerprints), I was surprised that the wheel itself was not as dark brown as I had expected it to be. It is a nice medium brown color, which will work out great for me since the interior and horn pad color will be Palomino Tan, by SEMs.

I decided to exchange the wheel for another woodgrain wheel, considering that I wasn't too keen on paying that amount with two obvious smudges. Hopefully the next one will be okay. But yeah, the spokes are definitely very shiny. Overall, it'll look like a very nice wheel. I'll post again once the new wheel arrives any day now...

Kind Regards,
Aaron

Captain D

Okay, the new one arrived today and it's really good looking. The other one had like permanent smudges on the chrome from the production shop. But, this one looks REALLY good! Things are crazy right now, but I'll see about posting some pics when things slow up...

All the best,
Aaron

plumbeeper

Thanks guys for the kind words, your business is very much appreciated. :2thumbs:

By the way, we now have the new Dodge emblems in stock. They are perfect and look and fit like NOS.

Dave
http://www.woodgrainwheels.com
CLICK ABOVE FOR THE BEST MOPAR WOODGRAIN STEERING WHEEL RESTORATIONS