News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

hard shifting 4 speed

Started by Aussi440, February 12, 2009, 12:10:08 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Aussi440

Hi guys, I have a 833 4 speed behind my stock 440 in a 68 charger, I had the tranny rebuilt by a reputable Mopar company last year.  I had a bearing noise in it.  Before I sent them the trans it really shifted smooth, you could barely feel the gates between gears especially if I was shifting hard, it would just fall right in.  I am running 80w-90 reg gear oil.

When I got the tranny back and put it in, I could barely get the car in gear.  It has since loosened up but is still very what I would call "notchy".  If I am sitting at a stop light and have it in neutral, and I go to put it in 3rd then 2nd and first I can't get it into 3rd, I have to wait a good 5 seconds before it will go into gear.  When I run the car hard up to 5000 and shift hard, I really feel the gate into 2nd and never used to.

Here is what I have done, I have put some Lucas oil stabilizer in the trans, I have checked the clutch adjustment, I have checked the shifter mech by taking the rods off to make sure the shifter shifts freely without the rods connected, it's fine.  I took the 1st to 2nd gear rod off and bent it a little straighter, it had a bit of and angle to it, when I did this I really couldn't get the car in gear, so I bent it back.

They company replaced my input shaft, bearings and seals.  Then just did a good clean up.
Do you guys have any ideas???

Ryan

John_Kunkel

Is it hard to get into Reverse? IOW, if you depress the clutch pedal, wait a few seconds, then shift to Reverse does it go in or grind excessively?
Pardon me but my karma just ran over your dogma.

oldschool

sounds like the shifter is out of ajustment to me.
1968 cuda formula S bb 4-sp                          1968 Charger R/T 500" 4-sp
1970 Charger 580" 4-sp
1970 Cuda Convertible 500" 4-sp
1970 Cuda Convertible 500" 4-sp
TOO MUCH HORSEPOWER, IS ALMOST ENOUGH!

ITSA426

You didn't say what shifter you have.  I have a similar problem with my Inland shifter after I reinstalled it, If the knob is screwed down too tight.  If I back the knob out a little it works just fine.  I haven't played with it too see why it does it but it does.