News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

hemi power steering pump differences 66-68. '69-71

Started by hemi68charger, January 20, 2009, 07:53:02 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

hemi68charger

Hey gang..
I have these two Federal pumps.. I'm getting ready to clean them up and use the one with the larger diameter pulley (5.5" diameter) on my '68 Hemi Charger R/T. I was told this was an original hemi pump. Two things I've noticed though observing other restored Hemi cars is the low-pressure side on all of them are on the side pointing down and back, not up like these...

Anyone have pics for comparisons of the '66-'68 pump and pulley and the '69-'71 pump and pulley. 6bblgt had some great pics of a '70. I see there are reproduction pulleys out there, but they all state the applications are from 69 to 71 with the 6.25" diameter pulley. Now what was the diameter of the '66-'68? Is it the 5.5" I have? The other pump in the picture has an even smaller diameter pulley..

In a nutshell, I'm trying to see what came on my '68 b-body (Charger R/T)..

Thanks in advance...
Troy
'69 Charger Daytona 440 auto 4.10 Dana ( now 426 HEMI )
'70 Superbird 426 Hemi auto: Lindsley Bonneville Salt Flat world record holder (220.2mph)
Houston Mopar Club Connection

hemi68charger

70 version posted by 6bblgt over on moparts................ Thanks..

Troy
'70 Superbird 426 Hemi auto: Lindsley Bonneville Salt Flat world record holder (220.2mph)

Chatt69chgr

My understanding is that the Federal pump was used on the 68's and the saginaw was used on the 69's.  I'am speaking of Chargers.  My 69 318 chgr had the saginaw.  Didn't have the correct dia pulley though.  I had to buy one from Bouchillon Performance though I think 440Source has these now too.  I took a 440 out of a 69 C-body and it used the Federal pump.

You might call Bouchillon Performance and talk to their resident Mopar expert.  He really knows a lot about things just like this and would probably be able to answer your question.

hemi68charger

You are correct. For most, if not all, non-hemi applications, MaMopar went to Saginaw pumps for production purposes.. Now, the hemi-equipped cars are a different story. The Federal, to my best recall, stayed with the  hemi throughout it's production end in '71... Now, the pulley could have gone to the later version of 6.25 inches starting in '69? I'm thinking that the '68 and earlier were of a slightly smaller diameter. The housing is a little different too. Seems the low pressure nipple is on the top for '68 and earlier and on the side for '69-newer.....

Guess what I need is someone with an original '66, '67 and '68 hemi Federal and measure the diameter of the pulley....

Troy
Troy

hemi68charger

Looking in the parts book and feedback from others, it seems the '68 model had all big block power steering pumps similar to each other. The difference for the hemi's were the high pressure hose and it's 90 degree adapter. Funny though, in '66 and '67, both 383 and 426 hemi's had the same 90 degree adapter.

Thanks..
Troy
Troy

Davtona

I could get a picture and a measurement of the pulley diameter of a 1969 Hemi pump if that would help. I know its not a 68 but the one I have is definetally an original off a 69 Hemi. Just my  :Twocents: if it would help.

GreenMachine

I may be wrong but aren't both of those Thompson pumps ('66 & earlier)? Should be a slightly larger diameter pump (1/4"?) than the Federal pump.
If it ain't broke, fix it 'till it is.

WingCharger

Why were the Federal pumps used on HEMI engines? :shruggy: :shruggy:
I always thought the Saginsaw was supposed to be a better pump anyway?

tan top

Quote from: WingCharger on February 03, 2009, 07:23:34 PM
Why were the Federal pumps used on HEMI engines? :shruggy: :shruggy:
I always thought the Saginsaw was supposed to be a better pump anyway?

68 & earlier use federal pumps also   ...... i have also wondered why all ( well all the ones i have seen )  HEMI cars  with power steering used that pump ?????? :popcrn:   
something to do with higher engine speed perhaps  :shruggy:  ..............

Feel free to post any relevant picture you think we all might like to see in the threads below!

Charger Stuff 
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,86777.0.html
Chargers in the background where you least expect them 
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,97261.0.html
C500 & Daytonas & Superbirds
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,95432.0.html
Interesting pictures & Stuff 
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,109484.925.html
Old Dodge dealer photos wanted
 http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,120850.0.html

hemi68charger

Quote from: Davtona on January 31, 2009, 09:43:23 PM
I could get a picture and a measurement of the pulley diameter of a 1969 Hemi pump if that would help. I know its not a 68 but the one I have is definetally an original off a 69 Hemi. Just my  :Twocents: if it would help.

I think I have things figured out now.. The big thing now will be the high pressure hose. It IS a one-year thing for Hemi-equipped B's. The pulley on a '69 was the first year of the larger diameter, so measurements won't help, but have those anyways for future reference.

Thanks....
Troy
Troy