News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

EXHAUST MANIFOLD painting questions ????????????????

Started by rav440, April 02, 2008, 06:56:31 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

rav440

i have a set of EXHAUST manifolds i want to paint with either Eastwood Factory Gray High Temp Exhaust Coating Kit

or Eastwood Stainless Steel High Temp Exhaust Coating Kit

. both kits are brush on .

after bead blasting them how should they be preped and painted to gaurantee the paint stays on and looking nice ? ive read that they should sit 24 hours after painting and then install on the motor and run for 15-20 minutes ,  :shruggy: i dont have that option because the 440 & the runner are far from that point . so does this paint need to be baked on if so can it be done in an electric over and at what temp ? 

thanks RANDY  :cheers:
1973 PLYMOUTH road runner GTX

bull

I would forget you ever saw either of those Eastwood products and have the manifolds ceramic coated.

8WHEELER

:shruggy:    http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,41062.0.html

It will be fine until it gets in your car, and then gets several heat cycles to bake it on, and the gloss will be less.

Dan
74 Dart Sport 360, just for added fun.

rav440

Quote from: 8WHEELER on April 03, 2008, 01:41:59 AM
:shruggy:    http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,41062.0.html

It will be fine until it gets in your car, and then gets several heat cycles to bake it on, and the gloss will be less.

Dan

DAN , how did you prep the manifolds ? also since the 440 is in the state of rebuild and it will be some time before its running will it make a differance that the manifolds were painted months prior to being intalled and have the motor run to bake the paint ? .

i just called JET HOT its $ 195.00 plus shipping and shipping . i think ill take may chances withe EASTWOOD .  :2thumbs:

8WHEELER

Its up to you what you would like to use, Most people seam to have had great luck with JET HOT, I had two sets go bad
lasting one year each time. I also had a friend have a set on his 360 manifolds get rusty in one year, he also had his
redone, lasted less than a year again. I have no idea why this place has such problems, but I think he kept getting water
in his process, thats the only thing that can explain it going bad in less than a year just driving to car shows..........

I sandbast the manifolds, apply the Eastwood paint ''two coats a couple days apart'' and they will not rust
for a long time, I have been using it on cars for 9yrs, even not being used they don't rust.

I use it on my master cylinders, steering boxes and other places, looks close to raw metal.

Dan
74 Dart Sport 360, just for added fun.

Rolling_Thunder

I use the cast grey Eastwood stuff - I've used it on multiple sets of manifolds at the shop and I neve yet to have any get surface rust....     I bead blast them to bare metal, spray with brake cleaner to get any residue off, head with torch, apply 2 - 3 coats of the stuff...   
1968 Dodge Charger - 6.1L Hemi / 6-speed / 3.55 Sure Grip

2013 Dodge Challenger R/T - 5.7L Hemi / 6-speed / 3.73 Limited Slip

1964 Dodge Polara 500 - 440 / 4-speed / 3.91 Sure Grip

1973 Dodge Challenger Rallye - 340 / A-518 / 3.23 Sure Grip

rav440

Quote from: Rolling_Thunder on April 05, 2008, 02:37:01 AM
I use the cast grey Eastwood stuff - I've used it on multiple sets of manifolds at the shop and I neve yet to have any get surface rust....     I bead blast them to bare metal, spray with brake cleaner to get any residue off, head with torch, apply 2 - 3 coats of the stuff...   

:2thumbs: what about the manifolds beong painted but not installed for a few months ? will that affect the paint ?

superbee383

I sandblasted my manifolds and brushed on the eastwood coating.  They looked great until I gave the engine compartment a hose down a few days later and boing! rust popped up all over the manifolds.  I assume I didn't get everything off the manifolds with the sandblating and am planning to have them chemically stripped to get any residual rust off before I try again.  It's too much of a pain in the rectum to be doing this over and over...
71 Superbee
04 Avalanche Z66
04 Jaguar XJ8

Sublime/Sixpack

I've used the Eastwood "Stainless Steel" color coating on the exhaust manifolds of four or five different engines and had good results. Its a good product. Maybe not for an everyday driver beater where it sits outside, gets driven year 'round, subjected to road salt, etc. year after year. But on a car that is driven in nice weather, garaged and cared for it should last for years. One of my cars manifolds were done 12 years ago and they still look good.
I wouldn't suggest you try to cure the coating in an oven because it smokes and gives off vapors that (if I remember correctly) you shouldn't inhale. I'm speaking from memory and its been a several years since I used it, but I think you're supposed to cure it within 48 hrs. Someone please correct me if I'm wrong.  I know the product has a shelf life.

You probably should just give Eastwood a call and ask them.
1970 Sublime R/T, 440 Six Pack, Four speed, Super Track Pak

superbee383

Thanks for the input.  I never drive the car in the winter, I'm near Chicago.  Actually, it's about 10 degrees outside and I'm longing for the summer to bring the car out.  Last March, I pulled off the valve covers, carb, intake, exhaust manifolds, etc to dress up the engine compartment for the season. I was REALLY upset when the eastwood coating didn't last.  It had to be something I did, 'cause it seems everybody else is happy with the product.  I'm guessing I didn't get all the rust off. 
71 Superbee
04 Avalanche Z66
04 Jaguar XJ8

quapman

I like VHT in a spray can. It comes in gray or silver. It's around $10/can.

I did a couple pairs of manifolds, but have not tried them on the car yet. Been too cold to handle cast iron....LOL.

Anybody else try it?

Steve

Sublime/Sixpack

I used the VHT spray paint once and it didn't hold up well.   :Twocents:

1969chargerrtse

Quote from: Rolling_Thunder on April 05, 2008, 02:37:01 AM
Me too.  I've done several cars with Eastwood Gray and have no complaints.  I sand blasted and painted.  End of story.  They sat for a while until I started the motor with no issues.  It's also easy to touch up, just grab a foam brush and apply another coat while on the car.
This car was sold many years ago to somebody in Wisconsin. I now am retired and living in Florida.

Shakey

I used the Eastwood product as well.  I did a brief write up on it and posted some photos here, probably 3 years ago now.

superbirdtom

I used the eastwood stuff and it held up well for about 6 years i would use it again for sure.

375instroke

I say the time wait is a minimum, not a maximum.  It lets the solvents evaporate before curing with heat.  Wonder what would happen if one uses the Eastwood stuff, and then paints them with engine enamel like the factory.

superbee383

I'm glad I asked about this 'cause i must have not gotten all the rust off my manifolds.  Time to pull 'em off again!
71 Superbee
04 Avalanche Z66
04 Jaguar XJ8

69bronzeT5

Quote from: 1969chargerrtse on January 03, 2009, 01:17:06 PM
I sand blasted and painted.  End of story.  They sat for a while until I started the motor with no issues.

Rob, I'm gonna be sand blasting a pair of exhaust manifolds for my Duster then painting them. How long was "a while"? I'm not sure whether or not I'm gonna put the original manifolds back on my Duster or keep the headers that are on it. But I gotta sand blast them soon...my free sand blasting time is running out.
Feature Editor for Mopar Connection Magazine
http://moparconnectionmagazine.com/

1969 Charger: T5 Copper 383 Automatic
1970 Challenger R/T: FC7 Plum Crazy 440 Automatic
1970 GTO: Black 400 Ram Air III 4-Speed
1971 Charger Super Bee: GY3 Citron Yella 440 4-Speed
1972 Charger: FE5 Red 360 Automatic
1973 Charger Rallye: FY1 Top Banana 440 Automatic
1973 Plymouth Road Runner: FE5 Red 440 Automatic
1973 Plymouth Duster: FC7 Plum Crazy 318 Automatic

Sublime/Sixpack

Quote from: superbee383 on January 06, 2009, 04:45:21 PM

I'm glad I asked about this 'cause i must have not gotten all the rust off my manifolds.  Time to pull 'em off again!

Some people forget that even oil from your skin can affect paint adhesion, so make sure the manifolds are clean before applying the coating, and don't wait too long before curing them on the engine. And remember that stuff has a shelf life. :Twocents:

resq302

Ive had really good results with VHT Nu Cast paint.  Factory fresh cast iron appearance.
Brian
1969 Dodge Charger (factory 4 speed, H code 383 engine,  AACA Senior winner, 2008 Concours d'Elegance participant, 2009 Concours d'Elegance award winner)
1970 Challenger Convert. factory #'s matching red inter. w/ white body.  318 car built 9/28/69 (AACA Senior winner)
1969 Plymough GTX convertible - original sheet metal, #'s matching drivetrain, T3 Honey Bronze, 1 of 701 produced, 1 of 362 with 440 4 bbl - auto

69bronzeT5

Quote from: Sublime/Sixpack on January 06, 2009, 08:49:54 PM
and don't wait too long before curing them on the engine. And remember that stuff has a shelf life. :Twocents:

Okay thanks. Looks like I'll be waiting to sand blast them.
Feature Editor for Mopar Connection Magazine
http://moparconnectionmagazine.com/

1969 Charger: T5 Copper 383 Automatic
1970 Challenger R/T: FC7 Plum Crazy 440 Automatic
1970 GTO: Black 400 Ram Air III 4-Speed
1971 Charger Super Bee: GY3 Citron Yella 440 4-Speed
1972 Charger: FE5 Red 360 Automatic
1973 Charger Rallye: FY1 Top Banana 440 Automatic
1973 Plymouth Road Runner: FE5 Red 440 Automatic
1973 Plymouth Duster: FC7 Plum Crazy 318 Automatic

1969chargerrtse

Quote from: 69bronzeT5 on January 06, 2009, 07:10:00 PM
Quote from: 1969chargerrtse on January 03, 2009, 01:17:06 PM
I sand blasted and painted.  End of story.  They sat for a while until I started the motor with no issues.

Rob, I'm gonna be sand blasting a pair of exhaust manifolds for my Duster then painting them. How long was "a while"? I'm not sure whether or not I'm gonna put the original manifolds back on my Duster or keep the headers that are on it. But I gotta sand blast them soon...my free sand blasting time is running out.
Got me Cody.  I remember sandblasting and painting one and throwing it on and that was that.  Others I painted and they sat a few weeks and that was that.  I don't think the stuff is tempermental at all.  I would paint after the sandblasting because if you don't the manifolds can start to rust up again.
This car was sold many years ago to somebody in Wisconsin. I now am retired and living in Florida.