News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

i can't figure out where to put my stereo and speakers

Started by BigBlockSam, May 02, 2008, 07:43:42 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

BigBlockSam

hi guys

I'm trying to install a stereo in my  69 daytona charger . i have the original radio in the dash and i don't want to cut that up. in my rod i have it in the glove box but the charger is to wide for that to be conveinant . plus i don't want to cut the door panels or the kick panels for front speakers.   :shruggy: you guys have any ideas. Rene
I won't be wronged, I wont be Insulted and I wont be laid a hand on. I don't do these things to others, and I require the same from them.

[IMG]http://i45.tinypic.com/347b5v5.jpg[/img

2Gunz

Well to get decent sound they really need to be in the doors or in a kick panel.

You could do what I did here..........

http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,21757.0.html

It pretty much looks stock.

Other lesser options would be to get 2 small speakers and mount them side by side in the
original speaker hole in the dash.

Or you could try a component system like this........

http://www.bestbuy.com/site/olspage.jsp?skuId=8222318&type=product&id=1166840026793

Put the mids (will need to find something smaller than what I posted) in the original speaker hole and put the tweeters on the dash near the pillars.

Zillion other things you could do but I thik most of them would suck pretty bad.

oldcarnut

Do you have the stereo already bought?  If not you might could look at getting one of those that operates with a remote so then the distance to the glove box wouldn't matter.  My 68 Firebird had small speakers mounted up under the dash in the more open areas and you couldn't see them but could hear OK.  What about the area behind the rear seat?  Isn't there cutouts for the 6x9's or did you have to lose them with the rear window mods?   The problem I have with mine is that I like to hear the exhaust pipes way too much to liston to the radio   :lol:

ramit

Buy and underdash installation kit from Bestbuy for $15.00.  You really only need 2 screws to hold it in and there are usually already holes in the frame under the dash that you can use.  That's what I did in my 72' charger and I left the stock one in place.

Hemidoug

I used Hidden Audio for my Charger. I was able to find speakers that fit in all the stock locations (I have a 3 speaker dash). I have a portable sub woofer that I can remove when necessary. I also have a 200 watt amp mounted in the trunk behind the spare. The system rocks and you would never know it was there if it wasn't on. Oh...the 6 CD-ROM player is mounted in the glovebox....  :2thumbs:
71 R/T 440 6pak, 4spd Mr Norms GSD

UFO

Test fit the radio in the stock location.If it's small enough to go right thru opening,just make an adapter that screws to orig radio holes.Then cut the opening for the aftermarket one.Did that years ago worked great.

chargerrt

I'm not a fan of under-the-dash mounting for the head unit.  I personally want to put mine in the glove compartment and use a remote control to operate it.  It would be cool if you could mount it in the center console (if you have one) like some of the newer SUVs with the multi disc CD changers or maybe even under the driver's seat   :shruggy:

Brock Samson

:scratchchin: in the console if ya have one,.. just a thought,.. I-Pods are the current rage and take up little room....  :shruggy:

kab69440

I use my PSP as a jukebox and hook it to a modest 250w amp under the seat in my daily. Sounds great, no muss, no fuss.
Imagination was given to man to compensate him for what he is not;  a sense of humor to console him for what he is.      Francis Bacon

WANT TO BUY:
Looking for a CD by  'The Sub-Mersians'  entitled "Raw Love Songs From My Garage To Your Bedroom"

Also, any of the various surf-revival compilation albums this band has contributed to.
Thank you,    Kenny

Jesus drove a Honda. He wasn't proud of it, though...
John 12: 49     "...for I did not speak of my own Accord."

dkn1997

for under 400 bucks, you can have a stock radio modified for high power and an mp3 jack.  looks bone stock.  then you just have to worry about the speakers.  they make a pretty nice one that goes in place of the existing center speaker.  some guy over on moparts makes a bracket for you to add any round speaker you want to that stock location in the dash.  obviously you can do regulars in the rear package tray.

Rene, you are probably not a spring chicken (like most of us) so the above should handle you sound needs.  doesn't sound like you are some kid who needs to rattle other's car windows and set off alarms with your stereo...lol   :icon_smile_big: :icon_smile_big: :icon_smile_big:
RECHRGED

70charginglizard

I just stuffed my after market in the glove box and as far as the door speakers. I cut the cardboard on the inside of the door panel out in triangular shapes but left the vinyl on the front side. It kind of muffles the sound a bit but you can see that there are speakers in the door what so ever.
Works pretty good for me. :2thumbs:
70charginglizard

BigBlockSam

hey guys

wow lots of  good ideas. i think the radio in the glovebox idea  with the remote is great for my superbee . i have i radio with a remote in the shed that i can do that with. 6x9s in the back and 4x6s in the front. see thats why it's great to ask you guys . thats a simple idea, but i didn't think of it. just use a remote. very cool and simple.  :cheers:

for the daytona i want to do something a little more special. . yea I'm 49yrs old  . i don't need a boombox. music is my first luv . i need some power and clarity . i am gonna put two 6x9 speakers in the stock position . should be OK . i don't want to put them in the package tray from the top but i will ,if the sound is to muffled in the stock position .
  i came up with a good idea for the front speakers. I'm gonna build some small speaker boxes . a wedge design . with a 4x6 on the larger side . i can slide them under the front seat . with the speaker facing forward . i can run the speaker wire under the carpet and come out under the seat . maybe a little Velcro or soming to keep the speaker from moving . i can make the bottom of the box a little larger to make it more stable. i think that will work good .  :scratchchin:

QuoteI use my PSP as a jukebox

whats a psp   :shruggy:  i have an ipod  :icon_smile_big:

Quotefor under 400 bucks, you can have a stock radio modified for high power and an mp3 jack

man that stock radio is a bitch to get out . $400 to me right now is a lot of money for a stereo . I'm trying to get 2 cars road worthy and it's been sucking up any extra money.  i can pick up a pioneer or alpine , CD , FM, mp3 player from PC Richards for $129 with free installation and a nice unit .

the only thing i can think of is making or buying a radio box and mounting it on the floor in front of the cosole. kinda like the old gto's use to do . i think it'll look good too . I'm still not sure where to mount the stereo but i know i don't want to remove the stock radio.

Quotea modest 250w amp

i think I'm gonna get  a 200 or 300 watt amp . i don't want problems with the amp taking to much power from the cars charging system .

I've had monster stereo's in my show trucks . 2 and 3 batts .1000s of watts. been there . i want a kick ass 4 speaker stereo system .

thanks for all the ideas guys. Rene

I won't be wronged, I wont be Insulted and I wont be laid a hand on. I don't do these things to others, and I require the same from them.

bear

If you want to you could always do what I am going to do which is buy a radio delete panel and cut a hole in it for an after market radio.  That way you save your dash and if you need to you can always change it back to stock.   

2Gunz

If your worried about power for the amp, make sure you get a class D amplifier.

plum500

I'm doing as a suggestion I saw on here, making a bracket that will fasten up in the dash where the old 10x4 speaker was, to hold two RFs I'm hoping to jam up there... Don't want to cut anything, can't put em in the doors...we'll see. 6x9 RFs going in the usual spot in the rear.

(edit: well, I say bracket -- it'll probably be nothing more than a piece of 1/4" mdf suitable for mounting the 4"s to, then the holes for the original mounting on the outside of those... that will "just" clear without having to do anything fancier than that)

I'm not against hanging stuff under the dash - that's where my new Audiovox 8 track is going for the 70's thing :D But, the disc player is going in the glove box.

66chargerkid

I am going to drop smaller speakers in the front under the dash pointed down. Or buy some repro kick panels and cut holes and make a braket for those. They aren't terribly expensive and you dont tear up your originals. Also the smaller spekers in the front of the middle speaker is a good idea. 6x9's in the back and you can also mount your radio in the consle (if you have one). Glove box with a remote is also a good idea as long as you dont keep papers and spare parts in the glove box like I do.

472 R/T SE

I'm not out to win any "stock" class having a transplanted motor & tranny so I let my hair down so to speak.  What hair?  :P

Any decent speaker is gonna have a good size magnet and won't fit in the kick panel.  Stereo shop made these little pieces that wrap around the corners of my floor board.  They're mid range Focals.  I have a three speaker dash, so the two small speaker grills get Focal tweeters.
Two amps with one being a crossover, equalizer mounted on the wall behind the rear seat.  And a 10" JBL in a box.

It does a pretty good job.  The bass will bounce the rear view mirror.  The best addition was the MP3 player.  No more fiddling with the glove box mounted CD player.  I can make it to Seattle (160 miles) and have 20 or so songs left.

BigBlockSam

QuoteOr buy some repro kick panels and cut holes 

i have them like that in my 68 charger . they sound good but i can't put the e brake on . it hits the speaker grill and i hate the way they look with out the grill. 

QuoteStereo shop made these little pieces that wrap around the corners of my floor board   

i like that .  :2thumbs: i like when people think out of the box .

QuoteThe best addition was the MP3 player.  No more fiddling with the glove box mounted CD player.  I can make it to Seattle (160 miles) and have 20 or so songs left.   

mp3's  rule. I've seen some remote mp3 players on ebay . pretty cheap too . if i load 10 mp3 cds in the 10 disc changer , it's like over 100 hours of music . plus i can mount it in the trunk .

very cool guys lotsa great ideas. thanks RENE

Charger1973

Quote from: plum500 on May 05, 2008, 06:00:05 PM
I'm doing as a suggestion I saw on here, making a bracket that will fasten up in the dash where the old 10x4 speaker was, to hold two RFs I'm hoping to jam up there... Don't want to cut anything, can't put em in the doors...we'll see. 6x9 RFs going in the usual spot in the rear.

(edit: well, I say bracket -- it'll probably be nothing more than a piece of 1/4" mdf suitable for mounting the 4"s to, then the holes for the original mounting on the outside of those... that will "just" clear without having to do anything fancier than that)

I'm not against hanging stuff under the dash - that's where my new Audiovox 8 track is going for the 70's thing :D But, the disc player is going in the glove box.

Mine:

moparstuart

that like what i was going to do , but i just took the old speaker that was gutted already , and cut some of the bottom out of it to fit two speaker.
GO SELL CRAZY SOMEWHERE ELSE WE ARE ALL STOCKED UP HERE

Rob R

Lots of great ideas and nice installs...My Son wanted some tunes in the car when we go for a ride so I broke down and put one under the dash...Truth is we've only listened to it 3-4 times and I'm thinking of taking it out along with the guages...I like the plain stock look as soon as I put the guages in I knew I had made a mistake so what's one more piece. :shruggy:

challenger70

Quote from: Hemidoug on May 02, 2008, 09:07:16 PM
I used Hidden Audio for my Charger. I was able to find speakers that fit in all the stock locations (I have a 3 speaker dash). I have a portable sub woofer that I can remove when necessary. I also have a 200 watt amp mounted in the trunk behind the spare. The system rocks and you would never know it was there if it wasn't on. Oh...the 6 CD-ROM player is mounted in the glovebox....  :2thumbs:

This is the best way to go in my opinion.  I have a very similar setup in my Challenger and it rocks the house but you wouldn't know it isn't factory unless you peek between the grills at the speakers.  Can you post some pics of your 3 speaker as I really want to do that to my '68.  Did they have a 3 speaker dash in '68 for the Chargers?  can you convert a non 3 speaker to a 3 speaker of do you need to replace the dash frame?
'68 383 A833 QQ1 Charger
'70  440 727 FY1 Challenger