News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Aftermarket A/C choices for an A/C car?

Started by Mopar2Ya, December 31, 2008, 05:58:26 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mopar2Ya

I have the CAA kit, but don't like all the modding/cutting/drilling that has to be done to get it to work w/a factory A/C car. Are there any other aftermarket choices that fit an A/C car w/o hacking it up? Is a stock rebuilt unit a reliable way to go(sense they are never working on cars I see)? TIA.

If this is a  :horse: thread, mods can merge/delete.

1970 Charger R/T
2006 GC SRT8

Chatt69chgr

Not sure if you are looking for a kit but:

The old RV2 compressor can be junked and replaced with a Sanden SD508.  Hoses can be fabricated by shops in most every town now.  You will be going to R134 so you will need a dryer made for this gas/oil.  The evaporator has not been repoped so you need to have yours pressure tested to make sure it is good or get a new one made just like it.  The original condenser is not available but aftermarket ones are.  I think these have one hose coming in on one side and the other going out on the other side.  Some of the originals had the inlet and outlet on the same (passenger) side but other original cars had the hoses going in one side and out the other.  You will need a box to cycle the system.  I think the original expansion valve can be used.  Check out Bouchillon Performance.  I seem to recall that they had a lot of the stuff you need.  CAA does sell just parts of the system as I recall.  I think you can just buy the underhood part and keep your old underdash box.  Also, the dual type heater core used in the AC cars is now offered by Year One at a good price.  I think I saw $185 which is a pretty good deal.  I have heard that the air put out by the blower motor is not as high a volume as some would like but have heard that there is not much you can do about this other that doing a good job rebuilding the heater box.  Gaskets available for it from Detroit Muscle Technologies as I recall.

Mopar2Ya

Quote from: Chatt69chgr on December 31, 2008, 09:37:07 PM
Not sure if you are looking for a kit but:

The old RV2 compressor can be junked and replaced with a Sanden SD508.  Hoses can be fabricated by shops in most every town now.  You will be going to R134 so you will need a dryer made for this gas/oil.  The evaporator has not been repoped so you need to have yours pressure tested to make sure it is good or get a new one made just like it.  The original condenser is not available but aftermarket ones are.  I think these have one hose coming in on one side and the other going out on the other side.  Some of the originals had the inlet and outlet on the same (passenger) side but other original cars had the hoses going in one side and out the other.  You will need a box to cycle the system.  I think the original expansion valve can be used.  Check out Bouchillon Performance.  I seem to recall that they had a lot of the stuff you need.  CAA does sell just parts of the system as I recall.  I think you can just buy the underhood part and keep your old underdash box.  Also, the dual type heater core used in the AC cars is now offered by Year One at a good price.  I think I saw $185 which is a pretty good deal.  I have heard that the air put out by the blower motor is not as high a volume as some would like but have heard that there is not much you can do about this other that doing a good job rebuilding the heater box.  Gaskets available for it from Detroit Muscle Technologies as I recall.

Thanks for the info. I already bought the Perfect Fit kit from CAA. However, the kit isn't designed for cars that already have a/c. You must drill holes in the firewall, fabricate a blockoff plate, etc. I was hoping there was something new out for factory a/c cars. CAA has it's pluses, it's much smaller & lighter than the huge factory heat/air box.

1970 Charger R/T
2006 GC SRT8

2Gunz

Im in the same boat.

Factory air and most of it is junk or missing.

I also dont want to hack up the car to put in the new box.

Not sure what Im going to do yet.  I might get crafty and build my own heater box.

Chatt69chgr

That same heater box was used in most of the 68-70 B-bodys both 2 or 4 door so you could probably score one that needed to be rebuilt in the junkyard.

Rolling_Thunder

I have three spares in my garage...    I might end us using one in my Satellite - my charger is getting a vintage air unit - but i also shaved my firewall so no problem there.
1968 Dodge Charger - 6.1L Hemi / 6-speed / 3.55 Sure Grip

2013 Dodge Challenger R/T - 5.7L Hemi / 6-speed / 3.73 Limited Slip

1964 Dodge Polara 500 - 440 / 4-speed / 3.91 Sure Grip

1973 Dodge Challenger Rallye - 340 / A-518 / 3.23 Sure Grip