News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

How do I know the oiling hole on the rod cap is pointing the right way?

Started by WH23G3G, December 15, 2008, 05:55:45 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

WH23G3G

I've got my #1 piston ready to install but I want to make sure the oiling notch on the rod cap is pointed the right way. When the piston is installed should it be point at the crankshaft or at the inner side wall of the block? The book says it should be pointing inward. But how do you determine what's inward. That makes it sound like it could be on either side. When the rod bearing is installed there is two notches. As of right now how I have it installed the notches are on the same side of the cap, one on the upper and one on the lower. Or should there the notch of the bearing be on opposite side?

BB1

Delete my profile

62 Max

Quote from: WH23G3G on December 15, 2008, 05:55:45 PM
I've got my #1 piston ready to install but I want to make sure the oiling notch on the rod cap is pointed the right way. When the piston is installed should it be point at the crankshaft or at the inner side wall of the block? The book says it should be pointing inward. But how do you determine what's inward. That makes it sound like it could be on either side. When the rod bearing is installed there is two notches. As of right now how I have it installed the notches are on the same side of the cap, one on the upper and one on the lower. Or should there the notch of the bearing be on opposite side?

The rod and cap are numbered,match them and you can't get it wrong.

WH23G3G

I've got the rod caps matched to the correct rods. It's the notch in the rod cap I don't know which way goes. I read the 73 factory repair manual. It makes it a little more clearer. When installed there is a larger chamfered edge on the big end of the rod and it must face front, which puts the oiling notch towards the crank so I'm going to go with that. I hope I've got the rings offset correctly. I've got the lower oil ring gap over one side of the piston pin and the other oil ring gap over the other piston pin. I've got the number two compression ring pointing towards one side of the block and the number one compression ring pointing the opposite way. The oil ring expander is about 1 inch back from the lower oil ring.

westcoastdodge

think that oil squirt hole sprays toward the opposite cylinder lubing the bore/piston :yesnod:
I don't care what is is designed to do,I want to know what it can do.
Gene Kranz

firefighter3931

The oil holes/slots should be facing inward....towards each other. The idea is that the rod on one side lubricates the other and vice versa. You have the rings offset correctly....the most important thing is that the gaps are offset from each other.

Ron
68 Charger R/T "Black Pig" Street/Strip bruiser, 70 Charger R/T 440-6bbl Cruiser. Firecore ignition  authorized dealer ; contact me with your needs

WH23G3G

Yeah I made sure the rings were offset going in but once you've got in the ring compressor and down in the bore there's no way to know if anything may have moved enough to get out of line. Oh yeah I don't see how I can check the oil clearance on the rod journals now that the crank and main bearings are installed. I tried on this first piston, but it may have been off because I had already had assembly lube on the journals since I was following a couple rebuild books. So I attempted to get it all off and clean again but when I torqued down the rod cap and then removed it, the plastigage was on the rod cap instead of the journal. I notice that all 3 of the rebuild books I'm following just kinda skip over the rod bearing clearance. All 3 of the books say that it's a good idea to check the rod bearing oil clearance too but give no instructions on how to do it easily. Is there an easy way to do it now?