News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

ignorant people.......

Started by lisiecki1, December 01, 2008, 05:51:06 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

lisiecki1

so i occasionally have people stop by the house and ask how much i want for the charger.....to which i reply it's not for sale.....a couple of these people have stopped by multiple times and had the exact same conversation with me....like 3 or 4 times....wth??

last time a guy stopped by he said "everyone and everything has a price"

I told him "fine.....i'll take 20 grand as it sits.....25 if you want the 383...and 28 if you want the 727 also....."

"you're f'in crazy" was the response.....

"i told you 4 f'in times it's not for sale, don't come to my house anymore"

what is with people these days.......
Remember the average response time to a 911 call is over 4 minutes.

The average response time of a 357 magnum is 1400 FPS.

http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,52527.0.html

CB

and people say the market is down the toilet  :eek2:

1968 Dodge Coronet 500

72SE

So how much do you want for the charger? :icon_smile_blackeye: Just kidding! I get the same idiots!

bigred68

I had that very same problem with the Yellow Banana after it got crushed by a tree. It sat at the end of my drive in a more plain site kinda view. I"ll bet once a week I had to answer; "yup it got crushed by a tree" "no its not for sale" sometimes over and over again to the same people! I tried to be polite, but sheesh! I was always trying to not divuldge that it was a parts car for bigred that was quietly hiding in the garage. That Charger now sits deep in my back yard hidden from view.

Drache

There was a local guy with a Camaro who had this problem. Finally he went and got vinyl decal that said "NOT FOR SALE" and put it across the top of the windshield!  :smilielol:
Dart
Racing
Ass
Chasing
Hellion
Extraordinaire

Blown70

Quote from: bigred68 on December 01, 2008, 07:14:42 PM
I had that very same problem with the Yellow Banana after it got crushed by a tree. It sat at the end of my drive in a more plain site kinda view. I"ll bet once a week I had to answer; "yup it got crushed by a tree" "no its not for sale" sometimes over and over again to the same people! I tried to be polite, but sheesh! I was always trying to not divuldge that it was a parts car for bigred that was quietly hiding in the garage. That Charger now sits deep in my back yard hidden from view.

WOW, THAT DOES NOT LOOK GOOD... NEED A ROOF?

Cuda Hunter

I don't have a charger yet because I can't get any of the people who have them sitting in their yards doing nothing, to sale them to me.  Sometimes there are just people who need these cars and figure you might change your mind in a week.  I can personally say I have questioned a few people a couple  of times over a few years period. I figure what the hell since the car is just sitting and doing nothing.  I could have already had that car running in my garage as long as it has sat.  It never really hurts to ask.  
 The ones I don't ask about more than once are the ones that have the not for sale sign the same words written in shoe polish on the windshield.  
 Eventually one of you guys will let the car go.  

I might be ignorant but at least I am persistant.  Wouldn't have my 71 Cuda if I wasn't.  

bigred68

Quote from: Blown70 on December 01, 2008, 07:18:58 PM
Quote from: bigred68 on December 01, 2008, 07:14:42 PM

WOW, THAT DOES NOT LOOK GOOD... NEED A ROOF?
A roof,backglass,sail-panels,both doors,both rear qtrs., that little chrome trim ring around the dome light LOL!

bigred68

Quote from: Cuda Hunter on December 01, 2008, 07:21:31 PM
I don't have a charger yet because I can't get any of the people who have them sitting in their yards doing nothing, to sale them to me.  Sometimes there are just people who need these cars and figure you might change your mind in a week.  I can personally say I have questioned a few people a couple  of times over a few years period. I figure what the hell since the car is just sitting and doing nothing.  I could have already had that car running in my garage as long as it has sat.  It never really hurts to ask.  
 The ones I don't ask about more than once are the ones that have the not for sale sign the same words written in shoe polish on the windshield.  

I might be ignorant but at least I am persistant.  Wouldn't have my 71 Cuda if I wasn't.  
I agree with you. "ignorant" may not be the word. PERSISTANCE is. Nothing, worth having in life, comes easy.
It takes persistance, hard work and dedication. I can't let the car go though, I can't be selling that car to some one then a few months, or years from now spending my money on egouge buying my own wheel well trim back.

Mike DC

Did the floor/frame survive on that crushed Charger?

BB1

I thought this was a thread about me... sorry   :leaving:
Delete my profile

moparstuart

Quote from: BB1 on December 01, 2008, 08:41:07 PM
I thought this was a thread about me... sorry   :leaving:
it is Ed it is  :nana: :nana: :nana: :nana:
GO SELL CRAZY SOMEWHERE ELSE WE ARE ALL STOCKED UP HERE

bigred68

Quote from: Mike DC (formerly miked) on December 01, 2008, 08:27:58 PM
Did the floor/frame survive on that crushed Charger?

Floor,Unitbody seems flat/straight/parallel to ground. Sorry bout thread hi-jack. I ment no disrespect.

68charger383

It never really hurts to ask.  

You have to ask if the car is in the open. The key is to not become adversarial, but make it memorable so if the guy ever decides to sell it....it will be held for you. For example: come with the expected cash/check in hand and a cheap bottle of champagne/Jack/vodka and say "so can I open the bottle this time or do I have to put it back on ice." My friend scored a 71RR this way. He went through a few bottles prior to working the deal, but then he became the guys periodic drinking buddy!
1968 Charger 383(Sold)
2003 Dodge Viper SRT-10

Chad L. Magee

I get visits by them often during the warm months.  Alot of the ones I have had to deal with are flippers who saw a Charger sell for big $ on B-J, so they think that they can buy one cheap, do a quick fix and resell for a huge profeit.  I usually show them the curb fast as I don't like people who think that they can manipulate me.
       Persistance in chasing projects is good and can pay off in some situations, but there are also limits to trying to buy a car that is not for sale.  (My personal method is a no pressure approach, just ask and leave if it is not for sale.  If it is, have cash in hand ready to seal the deal.  I think I could almost teach a class in this. :lol:)  I have gotten the "Everything has a price" quote a couple of times on my cars, but that just does not fly well with me on certain ones.  (Yes, contrary to popular belief, I have sold a car here and there over time.)  Had one guy pull the cash trick with me, but when he only pulled out a $1,000, I asked him which tire would he like to buy off of my 1969 WHS with that money.  He took the hint, left and has not returned since.  The same car has a standing cash offer (fair market value) from one of the previous owners, but I am just not interested.  Now, do not get me wrong, I do try to help out fellow Mopar people when I can, just not in ways that I get taken advantage of.  I have helped people find Chargers (and other Mopars) for sale without asking anything in return, if I think that they deserve the help.  The ones that I just have to laugh at are the ones expecting to pick up a running factory 426 Hemi car or 1969 Daytona for a few thousand.  Sorry, but you need a time machine for that.........   
Ph.D. Metallocene Chemist......

devilgear

I get the same thing.My wife does alot of garage sales in the summer, and the Charger sits in my front yard on a busy street when that happends.I get a few a week from that. It dosn't bother me so much. I like cars and talking cars with people...

superduperbee

Ask hemi-hampton how many years he bugged the guy who owned his 70 RT. I was just down south for Thanksgiving, keeping tabs on a few cars stashed in the hills myself!

Mike DC

QuoteFloor/unitbody seems flat/straight/parallel to ground.  Sorry about the thread Hijack.  I meant no disrespect.

Oh.  I was just curious.

I agree, there's probably no economics in trying to make that underlying unibody RIGHT again.  Not in the stock street-car restoration sense.  

But I could think of half a dozen things someone could still do with a bare shell like that besides just torching it apart & selling the pieces.  Like a fun GL stunt car, or an old-school NASCAR replica, something along those lines.

Any project that calls for an extensive rollcage inside, and doesn't need to look nice up close . . .  bottle jacks and bondo could probably save a lot of that car's roof & rear end.

lisiecki1

i can understand persistance, but i'm talking about a car parked in a shed, under a car cover, that gets pulled out at least once a month to be tinkered on and cleaned up.....i know it's not done yet, but geezus gimme a break, i'm not made of money.......

persistance is one thing, for a car sitting in a field or in a barn collecting dust.....but for something that's obviously trying to be worked on or taken care of i think these visits are just unintelligent......
Remember the average response time to a 911 call is over 4 minutes.

The average response time of a 357 magnum is 1400 FPS.

http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,52527.0.html

Shakey

Check out the numerous threads on this site where the folks encourage the ones that locate/find cars like these where the advice is to keep trying.

I agree that no one should be rude about it however if you have one of these old cars, you're going to have people hounding you to sell - it comes with the territory.

BigBlockSam

i asked the guy down the block every 2 or 3 months for 2 years if he would sell me my rod . he finally said yes .  thats how you get cars .
I won't be wronged, I wont be Insulted and I wont be laid a hand on. I don't do these things to others, and I require the same from them.

[IMG]http://i45.tinypic.com/347b5v5.jpg[/img

TheAutoArchaeologist

You never know what you are going to find or for what price.  I got 4 70 barracudas for $3000 cause I asked the guy nicely.  If you are polite, don't seem intrusive and strike up a friendship with the guy/girl they are more likely to remember you in the future if/when they decide to sell their car in a barn or such.  That's how I've been able to collect a few cars.  Be persistent, but not aggressive. 

There are those that won't sell stuff for any price, and hey have every right, they can do with the car as they please.  And those that annoy them, just make it that much worse.

www.carsinbarns.blogspot.com

Ryan