News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

How much oil do you need?

Started by flyinlow, November 27, 2008, 10:55:21 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

flyinlow

I have a 7 qt pan on my 73 Charger . Mild 446 build. Stock crank/rods. Champhered, hi cappacity pump, .0025 bearing clearence. 6500 rpm max.

Pan has hit the ground next hit might grind thru.

How much oil dose the engine use in a 1/4 mile?

I asked my machine shop owner. He guested 15-20 quarts would be circulated. His opinion was that 5 quart pan might run dry.

I am thinking about adding wings to the sides of a 5 qt. pan get back up to 7 qts.

Don't know if my welding skills are up to the task.

firefighter3931

There is only approx 1 qt of oil in the engine at any given time. Drainback to the pan seems to be the biggest issue as well as oil control. If the sump is baffled and you have good drainback + a windage tray i would say a 5qt pan will be sufficient....that will give you close to 6qts with a large filter.

The 971 pan will fit your chassis and get the job done. If you're paranoid there's allways the option of adding an accumulator/pre-luber and plumbing it in on the back of the block.  :yesnod:

Ron
68 Charger R/T "Black Pig" Street/Strip bruiser, 70 Charger R/T 440-6bbl Cruiser. Firecore ignition  authorized dealer ; contact me with your needs

flyinlow

I deburred the valley drain holes before assembly. used felpro 1009 head gaskets. I have windage tray.  So I am guessing it drains ok.

Thought about running engine with five qts. in it and seeing if it lost pressure on hard acceleration. Hate to starve the bearings even for a second or have to shut off a hot engine.

Are those accumulators the Moroso ones?

I like the deep pan but I live on a country road. An oil cooler would add capacity but not in the pan.

firefighter3931

68 Charger R/T "Black Pig" Street/Strip bruiser, 70 Charger R/T 440-6bbl Cruiser. Firecore ignition  authorized dealer ; contact me with your needs

flyinlow

Thanks Ron,

Can you plumb these into one of the oil pressure/idiot light ports at the back of the block?

Use a braided flexible line?

It emptys on shut down I assume.

Thanks,

Craig

Ghoste

Actually, I think they are supposed to stay full on shutdown so that they can pressurize your oiling system almost instantly on a startup and protect it right away.  (IIRC)

firefighter3931

Quote from: flyinlow on November 28, 2008, 10:09:33 PM
Thanks Ron,

Can you plumb these into one of the oil pressure/idiot light ports at the back of the block?

Use a braided flexible line?

It emptys on shut down I assume.

Thanks,

Craig

Yes, it plumbs into one of the ports at the rear of the block. There is an unused port opposite the oil sending switch that is perfect for this application. A braided flexible line works fine.

There are 2 styles....one with a shutoff valve and one without. The one i linked to above does not have a shutoff valve....it simply dumps pressurized oil into the system when there is too much of a (pressure) drop.

As Ghoste mentioned the secondary function is to pre-lube the bearings on dry startup.  :2thumbs:

Ron