News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

transmission part number

Started by rudyjrusa, November 28, 2008, 03:01:32 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

rudyjrusa

hi - this it the part number i found on the transmission - i think it is a 727 transmission.  P/N 4058328 6319 2199.  can anybody decipher the part number for me??  thanks

Ghoste

It was used in 1979 Dodge trucks and vans with a 318 or 360.

rudyjrusa

Quote from: Ghoste on November 28, 2008, 04:28:34 PM
It was used in 1979 Dodge trucks and vans with a 318 or 360.

i have a 74 charger with a 360.

Ghoste

Does the vin on the trans match your car?

John_Kunkel

The 6319 following the basic part number is the build date November 15, 1978; definitely not original to a '74 Charger.
Pardon me but my karma just ran over your dogma.

Ghoste

And my next question would be does the vin on the block match?  Not that it matters anyway, but it wouldn't surprise me if someone had swapped a drivetrain in from something else at any time in the last 25+ years.

rudyjrusa

when i bought the car 2 years ago from California - i was told it was a numbers matching car -

rudyjrusa

Quote from: Ghoste on November 28, 2008, 05:02:29 PM
Does the vin on the trans match your car?

were is this vin located on car??  are you talking about the VIN on dashpad inside car??

Ghoste

I hate to be the bearer of bad news but I`m afraid what they told you was incorrect.  The part number and the 10000 day date code guarantee that the trans isn`t number matching.  If you look on the passenger side of the block just above the oil pan rail and close to the motor mount you should find a number that corresponds to the last part of your dash VIN.  If your transmission was numbers matching, the VIN would match a stamped number on a pad located on the drivers side of the case.

rudyjrusa

Quote from: Ghoste on November 28, 2008, 11:56:58 PM
I hate to be the bearer of bad news but I`m afraid what they told you was incorrect.  The part number and the 10000 day date code guarantee that the trans isn`t number matching.  If you look on the passenger side of the block just above the oil pan rail and close to the motor mount you should find a number that corresponds to the last part of your dash VIN.  If your transmission was numbers matching, the VIN would match a stamped number on a pad located on the drivers side of the case.

thanks for the info - maybe the engine is not the original engine - i will try to take a look at it today.

Ghoste

If it turns out to not be, I wouldn't let it worry me.  The truth is there aren't to many numbers matching musclecars left, probably far far fewer than are advertised as being so.  Probably even less than physically appear to be so.  In any case, unless you are paying top dollar for a Hemi something or 440-6 car, who cares?  They are meant to enjoy on the open road.  :Twocents: