News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

340 440 swap

Started by Moparbob, November 16, 2008, 09:28:55 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Moparbob

Hi,

I have a 73 charger Rallye with a 340 and I'm swapping it to a 440. I have a 440 with big block 727. I know I will need the big block mounts but will the transmission cross member and drive shaft still work?

Bob Norris
www.moparbob.com

God Bless America.

mikepmcs

driveshaft needs to be shortened(probably would just get a new one if it were me),upgrade front suspension components(or raise the tbars to compensate for the weight), bigger radiator, k frame should be the same(if i'm wrong, i will be corrected swiftly)

here's a hardware source
http://www.engine-swaps.com/frames/frame_BCEmount.html

that's all i got to get the ball rolling. :cheers:

let's see some pics.  :icon_smile_big:

v/r
Mike
Life isn't Father Knows Best anymore, it's a kick in the face on a saturday night with a steel toed grip kodiak work boot and a trip to the hospital all bloodied and bashed.....for reconstructive surgery. But, what doesn't kill us, makes us stronger, right?

Moparbob

Quote from: mikepmcs on November 16, 2008, 09:55:10 AM
driveshaft needs to be shortened(probably would just get a new one if it were me),upgrade front suspension components(or raise the tbars to compensate for the weight), bigger radiator, k frame should be the same(if i'm wrong, i will be corrected swiftly)

here's a hardware source
http://www.engine-swaps.com/frames/frame_BCEmount.html

that's all i got to get the ball rolling. :cheers:

let's see some pics.  :icon_smile_big:

v/r
Mike

Thanks,

I'm actually hoping the front comes down an inch or two ;) Also,, you didnt specify about the cross member. BTW the radiator is plenty big enough. I'm running an external Tyranny cooler. 
Bob Norris
www.moparbob.com

God Bless America.

mikepmcs

that's cause I wasn't sure on that one :rofl:
I'm no engine guru, just wanted to get some info out there until the big guns come out and play today.
Life isn't Father Knows Best anymore, it's a kick in the face on a saturday night with a steel toed grip kodiak work boot and a trip to the hospital all bloodied and bashed.....for reconstructive surgery. But, what doesn't kill us, makes us stronger, right?

Moparbob

Quote from: mikepmcs on November 16, 2008, 10:20:20 AM
that's cause I wasn't sure on that one :rofl:
I'm no engine guru, just wanted to get some info out there until the big guns come out and play today.

Ok thanks! I hide out till they show
Bob Norris
www.moparbob.com

God Bless America.

Moparbob

Question on the front mounts. Here are a few pics:

Bob Norris
www.moparbob.com

God Bless America.

Moparbob

Bob Norris
www.moparbob.com

God Bless America.

Nacho-RT74

from factory diff between BB and SB cars are since 73:
-K member because slightly diff location on engine mounts, allmost unnapreciable... you save that with the shumachers engine mounts kits.

-inner pasesenger side fender does have a cut out on BB cars supposelly to have better access to something on engine bay :shruggy: apparently to replace spark plugs, getting more room to rachet and extension

-then on parts catalog it states apparently same T bars but diff sway bar.

and of course, radiator and rest of stuff already mentioned.

tranny K member and mount is the same
Venezuelan RT 74 400 4bbl, 727, 8.75 3.23 open. Now stroked with 440 crank and 3.55 SG. Here is the History and how is actually: http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,7603.0/all.html
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,25060.0.html

Moparbob

Neat,

I tried today to install a core block in the car (just to check) and yes it seems as though the engine needs to move back 1 3/8" as stated. Also I noticed it was slightly twisted in the engine bay, something Im sure the Shumakers address.

Two more questions however:

1. It appears the engine is slightly off center slightly to the passengers side. May I assume this is normal?

2. Headers,, What the heck! ;) Seems like there is plenty of room on the passengers side but none on the drivers side. Can anyone recommend a lower priced set of headers that will work?

Bob Norris
www.moparbob.com

God Bless America.

caddman

were you located?  i would love to swap my car back to a small block k-frame.  I swapped to big block back in the day, then built my own mounts to put small block back in (gas prices were killing me).  I don't trust my mounts to real power so i need the k-frame to put in the motor i want.  i'm in california.

caddman